Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

anyone mod a plane to drop stuff

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

anyone mod a plane to drop stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 12:09 PM
MIKEthe beginer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone mod a plane to drop stuff

has anyone ever moded there plane so it could drop things(fake bombs,water bombs etc....)if u have please post pics of it.or if possible a vid.im might have a go at it when i get a new plane after my trainer.the only prob would be c.g..please post pics if u ave any
Old 10-20-2002, 01:09 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an Ugly Stick that I installed a bomb bay on. I used to drop candy and bird seed with it. I just built a box inside the fusealage and installed a door that was servo operated and it worked great. The inside box was on and forward of the CG so that was not a problem. It was quite a site to see all the sun flower seeds falling to the ground. Good Luck, Dave.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:39 AM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a bomb bay in my Senior Telemaster and it works great. There's a pretty big cavity under the servos so I boxed it in and made double doors on the bottom. The first drop I made was with a parachute made out of a hefty bag. I dropped it at about 500' upwind of the field. By the time I landed, the chute was about 1/4 mile downwind of the field at about 1200' and climbing. Last we saw of it it was about 2 miles North of the field. Putting a hole in the center of the chute fixed the problem. It's a lot of fun, give it a try. And it you really want to get everyones attention, announce that you will be dropping golf balls!
Randy
Old 10-21-2002, 02:52 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I dropped a bomb from my PT20 trainer, just made a C shaped piece of wood, glued it to the bottom of the fuse with the open side down, mounted a servo behind it, drilled a hole through the C on the ends, and put a piece of wire on the servo so when I flipped a switch it would go all the way across the bottom, and when I flipped the switch it would open the C, you can drop anything with a loop on it now, I would glue loops onto plastic eggs and drop them. Worked great for a 15 year old making it at the time!
Old 10-21-2002, 02:27 PM
MIKEthe beginer

well ill try moding my trainer.iv got an idea.get one of those cheap action men and tie a bag(thanks for the tip mate ^)then have two water bombs.just say uv got the action man at the field then drop the bombs onsome unsuspecting victims
Old 10-21-2002, 05:02 PM
Joss Stick
My Feedback: (1)

I wish I had a picture of it. I rigged up a realease on a Kadet Sr. once that allowed me to drop toilet paper. Take it up high and release it. It unrolls as it falls and you have a streamer to go after. It's fun. Drop it so the TP is close to the runway. If it's a little breezy, go up wind. I used a pin hooked to the throttle servo that went out the side of the fuse. I hooked a rubberband over the pin and through the TP roll and hooked it to the landing gear on the opposite side of the fuse. When you cut the throttle, the pin came in and released the rubber band. I also dropped a skydiver like this too.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:17 PM
MIKEthe beginer

nice idea.only prob for me is iv got a 4ch tx and need and my plane is fuly fitted.dissable rudder.is that a really bad idea
Old 10-21-2002, 11:13 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Yep, to disable the rudder would not be prudent. If you've used all your channels, it is possible to hook up a release to let go on Full down elevator command, or some other channel like that. Of course, a 6 ch. radio would make it easy. If you are, as your name says, a beginner, get someone experienced to look at it before you commit it to flight.

Randy
Old 10-22-2002, 04:24 PM
MIKEthe beginer

o.k so bad idea on the whole rudder thenill try the elevator thing
Old 10-22-2002, 04:53 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

NOTE: Dropping things on people is a no-no!

That said, there IS a way you can use your 4 channel radio... A door can be rigged with a pushrod from the throttl servo so that the door will only open at the lowest throttle setting. This allows for a fairly low engine start and most of your throttle range for flying. Then, just go to full low throttle to open the door.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:25 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

My roommate uses this to drop stuff from his Twinstar: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXG870&P=7

He drops eggs, water bottles and even full skaken soda cans.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:00 PM
MIKEthe beginer

eggs now thats a nice idea
Old 10-22-2002, 08:02 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

especially at 80 mph. Just epoxy or CA the egg to an epoxy cup and tie a fishing line to it. Only thing that sucks is he doesn't get to watch the splatter because his eyes are always on the plane.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:27 PM
Unstable

i rubber banded one of these to my Somthin' Extra and was dropping it the day after the Profile Brotherhood flyin.

had it set up with a servo and a few pieces of wood to make it work then just banded it to the landing gear. (will get pics later)
its a blast to drop (too bad i couldnt watch the bomb as I was flying the plane)
I think im going to make a dedicated bomb "adapter" for my SE so I can put two on there

it didnt change the CG as its pretty light and best of all, they are cheap (i got 4 for like $20 with shipping)

the "bomb" comes with one release (assemble req) and the bomb, and also a piece that just has the hooks for the release so you can attach whatever you want.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:07 PM
MIKEthe beginer

cool stuff there.anyone have any other websites that sell that kinda stuff(cameras,bomb release) anything like them
Old 11-04-2002, 07:33 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What I used to really enjoy was strapping a glider harness to the top of a plane and hauling a glider up "piggy-Back". Get it to altitude and release.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:18 PM
MIKEthe beginer

whoa.nice idea.would of loved to see that
Old 11-08-2002, 01:35 AM
fly4food18
My Feedback: (15)

Default Bombs Away

A year and a half ago my club lost one of it's members. We had a memoral airshow at our field. We had a P-51 and my Eagle 2 with a bomb drop. We spread Ash and rose pedals over the flying field. Sence then have put a bomb drop on my WM T-34, and i have droped tennis balls, streamers, skydivers, and much much more. It's alot of fun. Hitting a target from 100 ft is very hard.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:20 PM
MIKEthe beginer

wow 100 feet,damn that really would be hard.

id also love to get a camera.think a sunset with it drive by.sweeeeeeeeeeet
Old 11-28-2002, 09:31 PM
robert

Hmmmm, another Irish man among us??? We are going to have a majority here soon!!!!

Do a search, or look back a couple of pages in the clubhouse, as their was a thread on this before.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:04 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Hey! Aren't you "Mr Help I'm Irish and Stupid?" Whatcha wanna drop from a plane der buddy?
Old 11-29-2002, 01:38 AM
Rick 9d
My Feedback: (1)

A friend at our field drops one of those nerf footballs that has the whistle in it. Makes a cool loud whistling sound as its falling
Old 11-29-2002, 04:32 PM
MIKEthe beginer

cool nerf ball idea.

yes thats me the irish stupid guy.

i really want to drop some kinda parachute army guy.but i want to get maybe 6 months good flying in before i may attempt that or even a water bomb.