Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Lets see your Biplane!!!

Old 04-06-2006, 12:30 PM
bhole74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lets see your Biplane!!!

Ed, I had to put my shades on, that thing is bright.[8D] What exactly is it?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:12 PM
igotfish2

yo Brian...most cool to run into you here....

i dont know what the plane is. i got it at a club auction about 20 years ago and up until a few years ago, it just sat in my shop collecting dust. i think it may have been an old midwest WW1 type bipe.
it had the rounded vertical fin, iron cross decals, scalloped elev, etc. i lengthened each wing 12", added 4 inches to the fuse behind the wing, and another 1.5 inches to the nose. redid the tail feathers from goldberg eagle plans, but extended the rudder, and it has a split elevator. aerobatic with great inverted characteristics, but it still flys like a trainer too...perhaps one of the more gentle planes ive flown..right there with an eagle 63/eagle 2 or a sig kadet sr. guess i should have taken another pic of the wings trimmed in yellow flames. and yes...it is bright!!...even glows on a cloudy day. guys in my club were kinda afraid to trim their planes in hot pink or neons so i broke the ice, and now more are showing up in the flourescent colors. they love the visibility...
Old 04-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Waldopepperaxel

That is great about the Eagles and Kadet, I've owned all of them myself The Eagle was actually my first successfull take off and landing plane almost 25 years ago, I owned 3 of them, over 8 or 9 years, and I still fly the Kadet to this day, I added a bomb dropping hatch to her just for added thrills, My cuz is the owner of the Tiger II and still flying that today, I think I'm going to make it a point to go through most of the Carl Goldberg models, they build and fly so easy, I've had my eye on the chipmunk for some time now, I also have the old foam CG Mig 27 that was used for drones by the air force, can't wait to see that thing fly, its HUGE,,, I think someone bought out Carl G though,, Thats what I have heard Anyway.

Do you have struts on that hot Pink Bipe too or just the cabane holden her together??

I wanted to put up a few more pics of my Ultimate I said I was going to do back on the last page, Just been busy.

Flyem hard Kids........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95222.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	440320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs56931.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	440321  
Old 04-06-2006, 11:49 PM
igotfish2

i still think that the eagle is the best trainer out there for the money. i know i might get a lotta debate, but for the past 2years training newcomers, i have flown a pile of different trainers and i keep comparing em to the eagle...go figure....

i would love to see that mig27 drone...for sure. didnt even know CG did that for the military. and yes...goldberg was bought out by lanier. youve probably noticed that they brought back some of their hot 60s planes. kinda surprised they didnt bring back the skylane 62. i have one sitting in the shop for two decades now..80% finished. hows that for procrastination???

i havent bought a cg kit recently since lanier took them over, but i did get two arfs...and they are not so hot...bummer...

on the pink bipe just the cabane holds it together, but i think i am going to add ailerons to the upper wing, and struts will be a must. this plane will then go from a kittycat to wicked with a flip of the dual rate switch.

i have a couple other bipes too that i spaced out posting with my original...soooooo....you beat me to posting more pics. i love how ultimates fly....and i like the bright scheme on yours too...

Old 04-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was out flying my Balsa USA Sopwith Pup yesterday evening, I didnt even know a fellow club member was taking pictures behind me until he emailed me these this morning. The Pup is not quite done yet but it sure flys great.

Name:	Tr51674.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	440428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28312.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	440429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47372.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	440430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86442.jpg
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	440431  
Old 04-07-2006, 09:03 AM
IronCross

Nice looking plane... He got some good shots there.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:56 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Not to change the subject, but has anybody seen any of those Lanier seaplanes in the ARFs? Float planes take up so much room, a seaplane would be better.... Just wondering if the ARF seaplanes that lanier shows are any good....
Jim
Old 04-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Gotta love these bipes... full scale is also full scale fun! That's me climbing into the front seat of a Pitts S2A and oh what a ride!

Name:	Rp42976.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	440469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58132.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	440470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82537.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	440471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26525.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	440472  
Old 04-07-2006, 04:30 PM
bhole74

ORIGINAL: Mainer_Jim

Not to change the subject, but has anybody seen any of those Lanier seaplanes in the ARFs? Float planes take up so much room, a seaplane would be better.... Just wondering if the ARF seaplanes that lanier shows are any good....
Jim

Jim, You might mosey around the Seaplane forum, lots of info there.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:45 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Good idea. Hehe. Didn't even know there WAS a seaplane forum, but it does make some strange kind of sense if you think about it.....

Jim
Old 04-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Those are beautiful Planes PropNut and Birddog, Absolutely beautiful, and they atre great shots I agree.

I have to agree with you also Igotfish, I still recommend the Eagle to any pilot I train as a starting plane, I know there are other great trainers as well, but for building them the Eagle is the way to start, real easy build, and it flys like an eagle, And yes 2 years 80% done is some serious Procrastination, I don't think I could stand it, and as soon as I get the motor for the Mig, I'm going to try and get a video of it on its maiden, I've never seen it fly, so it might be a one flight deal. LOL, you never know. what 2 ARFS did you pick up?? That weren't very good.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:58 AM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Ok, how bout some unlimited vertical with my Midwest Super Stinker pitts with Moki 2.10 (FAI fuel).

Name:	Li20956.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	441038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30240.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	441039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48773.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	441040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83816.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	441041  
Old 04-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Waldopepperaxel

SWEEEEET Bobzilla, I am a huge fan of the unlimited vertical, I have unlimited vertical with room to spare in my Twist, and there is nothing like it.. I need a better power house for my Ultimate Bipe, I bet your SS is a heart stopper of a show plane, it looks great!! Fantastic job!! Four servos for the ailerons looks pretty Dang responsive as well, talk about having complete control on every surface. Just WOW is all I can say.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:00 PM
boydboy
My Feedback: (3)

Birddog, what did you power your cermark pitts with? I just got one yesterday,and it seems that 26cc might be underpowered? There are a lot of nine planes here.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:07 PM
flyierjon

here is another one of my biplanes. Top wing is 80" Dont know what it is called thou ?? any one know?

Old 04-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Boydboy,

I had a "lite" G26 on the front of my Cermark Pitts. Flew like the hotrod it is. It was very fast and had good verticle. The G26 was modified by Ralph Cunningham (RCIGN1 here on RCU) to electronic ignition and weighs 2.5 lbs with ignition module. I can send you some engine pictures if you would like.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:59 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

That looks like a Pitts to me.
Jim
Old 04-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Waldopepperaxel

I'd have to go with the Pitts as well.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:45 PM
igotfish2

And yes 2 years 80% done is some serious Procrastination,
ummm....thats 2 decades....20 yrs...cringe...

what 2 ARFS did you pick up?? That weren't very good.
tiger 2, eagle 2, and also got the cg matrix 40 which was far superior in craftsmanship than the eagle and tiger...but this model is now discontinued...

unrelated...my vote goes for a pitts too...
Old 04-10-2006, 04:17 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I like the color scheme.

Jim
Old 04-11-2006, 06:10 AM
Waldopepperaxel

20 years !!!!! LOL,,,,,,,,,, I may have read that a little too fast before, I think your beyond even procrastination,, But just think, You now have a mint condition Antique. thats even better..

A friend of mine has the Matrix 40 he loves it, And bummer about the Tiger / Eagle,, thats why I build the kits I guess... never was to big a fan on the ARFs, however it is nice to get a plane done in a couple of hours, we built the Eagle from a kit in 7 hours once, 3 people,, we brought it home put the box on charge at 4 in the afternoon, put that thing together, and maidened her at 7 the following morning. my firend was very determined to be airborn with us that day.

I can't remember the 1st Bipe I flew, It had a serious left turning problem, we had to fly it with full left rudder and elevator trim and both sticks jammed to full left, then it would fly straight, you had to let off on the aileron stick a little and she would turn right, so thats how we flew it for a few weeks, weirdest thing I ever had to deal with, and we couldn't figure out why, we finally fixed the issue, but never really knew what caused it.. it just started working right one day. I told my friend not to build anything that flys anymore as we all had heart attacks that day trying to get that thing under control. But I love flying the ol Bipes now, there awesome..
Old 04-11-2006, 04:06 PM
igotfish2

yes Waldo...waaay beyond procrastination! i have a pic of my daughter with the framed up plane when she was 8....shes now 30. but the plane still looks the same. and i dont have much left to do to get it flying either...just pretty much final sanding and covering. pathetic...i know i know...

yeah it is a bummer on the tiger and eagle arf...but i have finally accepted the fact that most arfs will never meet construction standards of kit builders. but really the mfg should not c/a the entire aileron to the wing, nor the rudder and elevator to their respective stabs..just the hinges....grrrrrr.

i absolutely love the way the matrix flies...killer plane for sure. makes me wonder why they dumped it.

finally...ive had planes do the weird thing your first bipe did. found out that it was wing warp, or bad engine thrust angles, or mis set-up...blah blah blah...cant remember since it was so long ago and ive cleaned up my act and pay all sorts of attention to detail now. but if i didnt screw up like i have...i wouldnt have learned what i now know...

watta wonderful hobby....right in there with those things in life that test ones religion and develop their vocabulary....
Old 04-11-2006, 04:25 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Global used to have a little Bipe called the Great Lakes Bipe...it was a two-winged SQUIRREL!!! If you could keep it in the air on the first flight long enough to get it trimmed out you were a magician. We had some in our club, and I ended up being the go-to guy for getting them flyable. Even so, I only managed about 50 percent survivors! I think we changed the CG and a few other things like zeroing the upper wing angle of attack before the maiden flights and they started flying better, but straight out of the box they were nightmares! They were the predecessors to the ARFs, they were ARC's.

Talk about LEARNING sessions! You got a real education from those!

Jim
Old 04-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Waldopepperaxel

I'll tell you I'm glad I have experienced such devastaing models, just as you both said, it has made me a much better flyer and I have learned more than I ever would have if everything just worked right, but man some of those things can make you swallow your heart when they first hit the air.

so many times people have come to me to help them get air born, and There is not a worse feeling then not wanting to trash someone else's hard work, but it does happen, I have luckily only had a couple crashes and not even to serious, over my 25 or so years of teaching people how to fly. some planes I'd just look at and tell them its going to go in if we don't fix a few things first. But I have to admit, I love when someone comes up to me for a little help because then I get to try out a new plane. gotta love this hobby..
Old 04-11-2006, 06:02 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Still, No matter how many disclaimers we make, seems they always reserve the right to blame you when their masterpiece goes straight south after taking off. I try to make it perfectly clear that I make NO promises, that if it can be flown I can fly it, so they'd better not hand me something that doesn't want to fly!! I remember taking one off after the other guys did a preflight and okayed it. It was a trainer, and it started going in circles so I retrimmed it, and then it started going that way again. I had the sticks about full over and it was getting worse, and it wouldn't come down! I finally nursed it down behind some trees into a bushy area and we found it about 7 feet up, pretty much intact, but NONE of the flying surfaces left on it, but NONE of them smashed. I suddenly realized that NONE of the hinges had been glued in, and he had used double-ended threaded rod for the aileron linkages! the vibration had unscrewed them one-way and started the plane turning farther and farther. The guy said: "You're supposed to GLUE those hinges in?" ARRRGGHHH.... I killed the guys who okayed it before I left that day, left them all for the buzzards....

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.