Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Senior Telemaster Engine ????

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Senior Telemaster Engine ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 01:25 AM
lnmcleod
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior Telemaster Engine ????

I just bought a Senior Telemaster thinking it was a 40 size. Not a bad mistake but need some help as to what size motor would be best.
Hobby Lobby says 40-60 2stroke and flew they think best on a 45. I have a 46 2 stroke and a 52 4 stroke I could put on it or should I go bigger.
I am a relatively new pilot but fly 4 different top wing planes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Larry
Old 10-25-2002, 02:30 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Larry,
The Telemaster Senior was made originally to fly with an "older" cross scavenged engine like an original K&B .61 or something similar. The modern schneurel ported .46's put out as much or more power. You can definitely use a .46 or .50 size engine, but a modern .60 or .61 will also be suitable, and my preferance. Its better to have a bit more than just marginal power, even in a high wing floater.

If you want to go 4 stroke, an .80 or .91 would be excellellent.

I flew a telemaster .40, the next size down, as my trainer years ago with an old K&B torpedo .29, which probably had the power of a good modern .20. Those Telemasters are excellent planes, and the SR. can carry a 2M glider up easily!

Andrew
Old 10-25-2002, 03:08 AM
deadstickdan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Telemaster power

I had one of these also and enjoyed it. I powered mine with a Saito .91 and that was more than enough. I always putted around at about 1/3 throttle. I would think a .52 four stroke would fly it okay as it is a very light model. I put the .91 engine in mine because I wanted the extra power and I thought it looked right for the size of the plane. The Telemaster is also one of the types that just seems to be made for four stroke engines.

You can't do much with this model. It will make a great glider tug, it looks great flying slow and I really liked flying it on windy days. I could almost get it to stand still in the air with just a little headwind. We used to have a lot of fun trying to see who could fly the slowest.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:57 PM
Russ Verbael

Default Telemaster Engine

I have an ASP .91 on my Senior Telemaster and love it. There is enough power to feel confident in vertical maneuvers and yet the ASP is so reliable that throttling back to a put-put is not a problem.

I also converted to a taildragger, and like this configuration better because of improved cross-wind taxi control. On the trike gear, the airplane was helpless in cross-wind taxi situations.

(The wind does blow in Montana and Arizona).

I have lots of pics if you are interested. I have about 100 flights on the beast and am now building a set of 46" floats for it.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:46 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

3 in our club with 91 4 strokes, a great combination.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:02 PM
lnmcleod
My Feedback: (7)

Default telemaster engine

To the Flyers thsat replied;

Thanks for your comments I tend to agree that a little more power is better than not enough. Had a telemaster 25 until last week when a brain laps ??? (not sure what happened) sent it to the great beyond. It had a 40 Irvine on it and it was fun. Think I'll put a 4 stroke on it size 60-90.
Thanks again Larry