Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Spy drone with gull wings

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spy drone with gull wings

Very interesting story located [link=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4185648.stm]here.[/link]
Old 08-29-2005, 12:16 AM
smokingcrater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spy drone with gull wings

my old sky scooter does the same thing, the foam has gotten soft over the years and you can see it flex up at least 15 degrees in a high speed pullup... all that and I saved uncountless $$$ (the amount of carbon fiber on that thing makes it look VERY pricy!)

and may favorite part...

"... The wings could fall off, for example."
We hobby rc'ers have been doing that for years, don't need a government grant to experiment with that one!

Old 09-09-2005, 11:38 AM
mulligan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always chuckle when someone "develops" an aircraft to somehow copy bird's flight. Even ornithopters only very crudely mimic bird flight.

This seems like a good PR stunt whereby the UF folks came up with a unique looking wing and gave it a story that the pinhead journalists would eat up.

I am jealous, though, of the aerospace departments of UF and other colleges, including my alma mater, when they get a bunch of government and private money to fund their hobby interests. The concrete airplanes are my personal favorite. Very little research value comes from these investments- a shame really. But I guess it's good PR of the sponsoring organizations for attracting future job applicants.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go through the AMA records posted from time to time in Model aviation, you will see that most of the ornathopter records were set by Roy White of ST Louis in the '80's. I used to fly with him and was amazed to see his creations fly.