Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Are You Hardcore?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 04:34 PM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are You Hardcore?

I was wondering how many out there will fly on ANY day other than sun shine and blue skies?
I for one will fly ANY day I can, just as long as its not more than a drizzle....
Also, the cold gets to me, but this being my first year flying, will do that as long as it aint sub zero.......
Old 10-27-2002, 05:27 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Being in Calif I'm pretty fortunate that it's mild whether most of the time. Although in the Central Valley it does get down to the 30's in the winter, and for a few months might not even reach 50 in mid day(this is during prime flying time, winter), and most days is around 40ish around December/January.

Doesn't bother me too much at all though. I take the proper goods to get comfy, and keep the hands and body warm. Propane heater, hot coffee, once in a while some firewood for our stove we have at the field(when there's none there). I just keep the gloves on til time to fly, and then when done get them back on asap. Scarf's help, thermal-wear...whatever I have available for warmth, and I'm set to go.

Now, living in Cal all my life, I can't even imagine what it's like to have -0- degree temps, even low teens and twenties has got to slow some down. My climate doesn't slow me too much though. A little rain on cloudy day won't stop me either, I usually go to the field(if it's not a total rain day), grab some coffee and check the lay-of-land for breaks in rain. Shoot, if these planes can take glow fuel the way they do, a bit of water won't hurt them at all. Lightening is a total different story....never, never, never when there's even a hint of lightening!
Old 10-27-2002, 05:48 PM
robert

I go out every day I can.......I sometimes go out on days that are just stupidly windy, and have a ball flying backwards, or landing while 'hovering' in the wind....
Old 10-28-2002, 02:04 AM
68v
My Feedback: (5)

I found I can crash anytime............... The snow seems to soften the impact a little though. Have you ever been in one of these rutts where everytime you fly you seem to mis-judge something. I think I'm in one of those. 2 birds down(not bad) in 2 weeks. oops
Old 10-28-2002, 03:05 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hmm double post.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:06 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've sat holding an unbrella over my plane while a t-storm went thru. It would stop raining for a few min and I'd be up in the air until It started raining to much and I'd do it all over. I've put my plane and gear in a wagon and walked the 2 1/2 miles to the field, because I didn't have a ride. I've launched a Skytiger from 3 sheets of plywood that were pretty much floating on the runway (landin was a hoot, or should I say splash. ended up landing in the beans most of the time. Used up a lot of field tape that day)
i've flown one day when the guys who fly the real ones canceled a flight due to wind. They instead sat and watched me walk down the runway faster than my plane was flying at full throttle.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:15 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ill fly when its freezing, Even flew in rain once. Dont care if its cloudy or a light to medium wind.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:22 AM
Mike James

Default Go for it.

As long as you're not endangering anybody or their property, I say go for it!

I think it's good to parctice in crappy conditions and wind. If you don't, what will you do when you're at a contest with those conditions? Takeoffs and landings in crosswinds are good practice for everybody. It's just part of the game, same as full-scale flying.

It's something different visually too, to fly your plane like a kite in a stiff wind, hovering, and try descending that way. Always something to learn in this hobby!
Old 10-28-2002, 04:57 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. I once ruined a Hitec Prism 7 transmitter flying in the rain. I don't get all the free time some others have, so if I am at the field, I am going to FLY, no matter what.
40 knot wind, rain, whatever. And I always fly until it is dark.
Last man standing! But I have my fun!
Old 10-28-2002, 12:09 PM
DSJBEAN
My Feedback: (1)

Default Anytime

We flew just about every weekend last year. THe day after Xmas it was 9 degrees F and 15moph winds and my sone and I were out. Another friend of nmine came out about 2:00 that day and we stayed til dark. Any time wind provifning
Old 10-28-2002, 12:40 PM
Flying Cowboy

Default winter flying

Living near Montreal, Qc. Can. , we get ev'ry kind of weather at times.
I remember when I was young, I flew a control line airplane in a snow fall so dense that I had a hard time seeing the plane at the end of the 60 feet lines.
That was 35 years ago. Now I'm 57 and I got smarter. What I do is put the dog out and if he wants to come back in after less than 5 min., I stay inside.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:52 PM
splitess
My Feedback: (2)

Here in Mississippi we can fly pretty much year round. January and February are cold but a nice day usually pops up here and there during those months. We've even flown when there was ice cicles hanging off the tables at the field. But the one that beats all is that one day we were flying and it was kind of storming all around us as we watched what we thought was a funnel cloud. We found out on the news that night that it was a funnel cloud but it never touched down. I guess you can call us stupid or HARDCORE RC enthusiast.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:17 PM
glowplug

I fly with DSJBEAN, who posted about flying in 9 degrees F.....A group of us try to fly at least once a week year-round, come hell or high water!
Old 10-28-2002, 05:40 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Are You Hardcore?

Originally posted by Groundforce
I was wondering how many out there will fly on ANY day other than sun shine and blue skies?
I for one will fly ANY day I can, just as long as its not more than a drizzle....
Also, the cold gets to me, but this being my first year flying, will do that as long as it aint sub zero.......
I too will fly anyday that I can. I will not fly in the rain, but that's about my only limiter. I don't mind the cold and will fly in pretty strong winds. I am a year round flyer and up here in the Pacific Northwest you can't be too picky when it comes to temperature and sunshine -- we don't get a lot of either in the fall and winter...
Old 10-28-2002, 07:18 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

a picture is worth a 1000 words
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32767_384.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	20596  
Old 10-28-2002, 09:52 PM
Cactus.

i've crashed a glider my hands where shaking so much from cold, and when the sea mists comes in visiblity is 20' horizontal 15' vertical. sometimes stops people
Old 10-28-2002, 10:19 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I love hardcore flying. We fly rain, sleet, or snow in the day or at night. My buddy and I will fly helos all day and when the sun goes down, we head out to the Home Depot parking lot and fly some more.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:47 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen, bros!
Some of my most memorable flights were in awful weather. Last year, I was flying an overweight and overfast Marutaka Raiden, out at Floyd Bennet, ceiling was maybe 100'. Watching the thing dissapear into a cloud, then banking out of it, on sound orientation and best guesswork alone, was as cool as it gets.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:02 AM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

As long as it's not freezing (don't like frostbite)!

I've flown in near freezing before, nothing like landing and then taking your coat sleeve and wiping off the river of half frozen snot that's running down your face
Old 10-29-2002, 01:03 AM
68v
My Feedback: (5)

Silvanskii,
Whats wrong with frostbite, I know a guy with that handle, Nice guy!!! hahahah.
Could resist that!
Old 10-29-2002, 05:24 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

We don't fly our best planes year round up here in Chicago, but we DO fly.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:22 PM
Jim_McIntyre

I'm with the "show me don't tell me" types.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:51 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm somewhere in between... If the weather's lousy, I'll plan on staying home. but if there's a scheduled event, or if a few guys call and say they're going... I'm there!
Old 10-31-2002, 10:43 PM
canesugarrules

I think that my fingers would fall off if I were to fly in the snow. But it will never get that cold down here,so I guess I have nothing to worry about
Old 11-01-2002, 03:34 AM
OnTheEdge

When I first started flying years ago a friend and I took our planes up to the field in February. Where we lived the snow was melted for the most part but at the field (about 35 minute drive) it was covered with snow except for a small oval in the the center fo the field about 10' wide and about 25" long. We carried our planes out to the center and took turns tethering each others planes so we could run the eingines up in order to get the wheels off the wet grass before we hit the snow. Landing was a REAL challenge with a 25' runway (the field was about 150' by 350' when defrosted) If I remember correctly we stood on the picnic tables to keep or sneakers out of the cold wet snow.

It was cold but a lot of fun.

..........Mark