Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Grass vs Asphalt runways

Old 10-27-2002, 10:09 PM
vicarh
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grass vs Asphalt runways

A group of members in my club is consider the idea of adding an asphalt runway to our existing grass runway. We have a 650 X 110 feet grass runway which is in very good shape. The idea is to have two runways about 50 feet wide each, one grass, one asphalt.

Any club out there with a similar setup? What has been your experience, GOOD or BAD?
Old 10-28-2002, 06:12 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default runways

There is really no bad side to having both with the exception of the cost to have it put in. I would first look and see if there is a need, if there are guys wanting to fly Aircraft that can benifit from hard surface like small planes or Fan and Jets then go for it, but if there is no need why do it.

If I have to make a choice, I would choose a smooth grass runway over hard surface any day, much easier on the aircraft.

My Club uses a Petromat surface, its basicly a big Tarp, for a look do a search for the Shawnee Mission Radio control club, Is easier on the airplane but good for smaller wheels as well.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:51 AM
vicarh

Dave,

Thanks for your comments. I, like you, prefer the grass but would like to hear from others to help me make up my mind as to how to vote when my club brings this issue to a vote.

I am interested in getting an idea of the possible, if any, complications of having two runways side-by-side on a fairly narrow strip. What about planes landing one wheel on the grass the other on the asphalt? Which runway should be on the inside? Should the asphalt be as long as the grass? Etc.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:00 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default Runways

Vicar:

Our club has two runways. One is 400x40 asphalt and the other is a parallel 600 x 40 grass (Bermuda). We mow the grass runway to 1-1 1/2 inches.

Both runways get a lot of use. We have 120 members who fly a large variety of aircraft so with this configuration we are able to afford everyone his choice of flying surface. A lot of beginners tend to take off on asphalt and land on grass until they get to whatever their "comfort level" is. Works for us.

When it comes time to replace the existing asphalt runway we will extend it to 600x40 also.

Dan
Old 10-28-2002, 01:40 PM
MikeL

Default Re: runways

Originally posted by Dave Bowles
My Club uses a Petromat surface, its basicly a big Tarp, for a look do a search for the Shawnee Mission Radio control club, Is easier on the airplane but good for smaller wheels as well.
I used to fly at a field with a runway like that. It worked out extremely well. I think it's a fine way to get the benefits of an asphalt runway without the cost.

We've just got grass where I fly now. It limits our choice of models a bit.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:57 PM
vicarh

Dan,

Does your club have a website with pictures of the field?

Vicar
Old 10-28-2002, 02:54 PM
dant-RCU

vicar:

Yes.

www.americanturfflyers.com

We are currently updating the webpage with some new pictures and stuff but all of the links should work.

The home page shows an overhead shot of the field taken from a J-3 Cub (you can see its shadow). The picture was taken in the spring so you can't really see the parallel grass strip (Bermuda goes dormant in the winter). However, it is adjacent to the bottom of the asphalt runway.

By the way, the clubhouse is complete with indoor plumbing (mens/womens restrooms), central heat and air and a kitchen. The structure to the right of the clubhouse is a covered area with work tables and electrical outlets and overhead lights.

The concrete pads you see at each end of the asphalt runway are heli-pads and/or turbine start-up pads. The two concrete pads at either end of the concrete taxi-way are aircraft start-up pads with built in stooges. This spring we are going to connect them.

Our asphalt runway was installed in 1991 at a cost of $13,000. The grass strip was installed at the same time (Bermuda sod) and I believe the cost was around $600.00. We got a good break on the sod cost as the owner of the sod farm was an RC flier (not a member of our club) and knew some of our members. He even helped lay it. We fertilize every other year.

Our field is located on private land that we own outright so we can make any additions we desire.

Dan
Old 10-29-2002, 05:46 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default Runways

The Mat works very well for a cheaper alternitive to hard surface, it is easier on the wing tips and wheels, and props but just about as smooth.

below is a link to the construction page and other articals about the club.

http://smrcc.tripod.com/newspaper.html#sat%20photo
Old 10-29-2002, 06:09 AM
vicarh

Dave,

Could you please send me more info on the material you used and its installation? If you can also include costs and distribuitor data would be of great help.

Thanks, Vicar