Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

How do you clean your engine??

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How do you clean your engine??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 03:10 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you clean your engine??

So you get your new shinny engine all "mucked" up...How do you make her shine again??
LIke new...Nothing less.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:41 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Crock pot and Antifreeze.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:50 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Crockpot and antifreeze

I hope you aren't jerking me around...I had a few strange looks from mama when I brought the anti-freeze in and pour it into the crockpot.
Would it break your fingers to tell me how long we have to smell this s$$t?......You advisory posts could contain a little more info...
Old 01-12-2002, 02:09 AM
wgeffon

I'm not sure I can break it down any simpler than it really is. Take a crock pot put some anti-freeze in it. Heat it up. Soak the engine for as long as it takes.
I use an old crock pot that we dont cook with anymore and I do it in the workshop. No nasty smell anytime I have done it.

It works. Try it.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:13 AM
James Goss

I use the crock pot method all the time and it really does work. When I take the engine out of the pot I soak it in some kerosene after it cools to finish the job. Janes Goss
Old 01-12-2002, 02:18 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Thanks James

Unlike wolfgang or waffijon...you had a respectable reply..
Thank you.....Woffir=egone....I am sorry you seem to be pissed to reply.......so why do you reply???
Old 01-12-2002, 02:27 AM
wgeffon

Funny how an impression can be made from computer.

I replied to your initial post because I had a method that works for me. If you didnt think it was lengthy enough I am sorry.

When I replied the first time I wasnt at my computer so I wasnt staying on long.

I wasnt trying to blow you off by the short post. If I was going to do that I wouldnt have posted a reply at all.

I am not sure what you were looking for.

Please remember, This is supposed to be fun. If you are mad while you are on RCUniverse, or any other board. Relax, its just model airplanes..........
Old 01-12-2002, 02:40 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default .

Well Wayne, Why didn't you just say you were short on time...
Hell I just said it!....didn't take me that long..GEEEEEEEEZ!
Take your medication....Calm down...things will be ok...
Have fun..I am soaking...I am enjoying...I am cleaning...This is supposed to be fun...If being a moderator is too much stress.....You should seek other volunteer work..

Old 01-12-2002, 04:19 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Well it was short, he forgot to tell you to plug it in first.
Old 01-12-2002, 04:30 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Too short???

Ya know Art......I used to save one on my plane for the guys on the ground....If iI had known they were as grumpy as you..I would have dropped them all and gone home.....Did you ever hear "going home have one more" ?
Old 01-12-2002, 04:32 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to check into Z-Best or Deamon-Clean.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:58 AM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

High-Tech Perfect Engine Cleaner by Chevron Hobby Porducts works well and is recyclable so you can get several uses out of what ever has been removed from the bottle. Part # CHE 180 - approx $6 per pint bottle at most Hobby Shops and Mail Order Shops.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:36 PM
Steve_JR
My Feedback: (6)

Fivesquare is one of those people who is just very tempermental, and is trying to get something out of us. What the heck is wrong with "crock pot and antifreez?" Does that translate to "I hate you Fivesquare" or something of the like? Calm down buddy. -Steve
Old 01-12-2002, 07:54 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default Me Grumpy??? Naw!!!!!!!!

I would have dropped them all and gone home.

and when that happens everyone breaks out the bubbly and celebrates!!!
Old 01-13-2002, 02:49 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default crockpot and antifreeze

Steve,
I meant no more with my post than you did yours.
Drop it!
Old 01-13-2002, 05:50 AM
J_R

Cleaning with Anti-Freeze.

Here are some of the tips I have picked up or discovered.
Buy a used crock pot at a garage sale. You won't want to use it again to cook food in. This stuff is poison and the sweet smell attracks kids and animals. Keep it away from them. The fumes are not considered poison, but, you won't want to breath them, do it in a well vented area.

Only ethylene glycol anti-freeze works. The environmenatally safe stuff does not work.

It can be recycled and used several times, but, it becomes saturated with crud and quits working. About 4 engines seems about the usable limit.

Set the crock pot on low and let it cook over night. If you use a toothbrush to help it along, it quickens the process. This stuff is hot, even on lo. Don't splash it on yourself. I bought a tea strainer and cut the wooden handle off and use it to hold the parts so I don't have to fish for parts. If you use the hi setting on the crockpot, it will discolor the engine finish, making it a kind of marbeled black. If you insist on using hi, keep an eye on it, it makes the process happen a lot faster.

DO NOT USE ON A PUMPED ENGINE. It will attack the membrane.

Normally, you can cook the entire engine or disassemble it. I take the head , carb, back plate off. The anti-freeze does not appear to have any effect on rubber, plastic or gaskets, just as in a car. It is probably wise to have a gasket set handy, just in case, or, alternately, to remove the gaskets first, if you disassemble the engine.

It will remove carbon build up, but it takes a very long time and some work with a tootbrush (we are talking a week or so).

I try to run the engine as soon as possible after cleaning, usually the next day. I just put some ATF in it to resist rust for the short time, I do not even rinse it out. If you are going to store it after cleaning, I would suggest using denatured alochol to flush it before lubing. I have seen statements that guys use hot water to flush it, that just does not seem like it is a good idea because of the bearings.

I was curious about the effect on anodized engines. I tried it on an anodized Mac muffler. It dulled the finish. I guess it depends on whether that is a concern to you or not.

Personally, I think everyone should try the commercial products to clean an engine before they are allowed to try anti-freeze

JR
Old 01-13-2002, 06:58 AM
STUKA BARRY

Default ENGINE CLEANING

YOU GUYS ARE NUTS! CROCKPOT AND ANTIFREEZE? ARE YOU CLEANING AIRPLANE ENGINES, OR COOKING LOBSTERS? I AGREE WITH "PLANE INSANE". Z-BEST IS JUST THAT.BUY IT AT YOUR LHS. DONT EVEN REMOVE THE ENGINE FROM THE PLANE. PUT THIS STUFF ON, LET IT DO ITS JOB AND WIPE IT OFF. NO MUSS NO FUSS. THE ENGINE COMES OUT SPARKLING CLEAN. FUEL IT AND FLY IT. THIS AINT ROCKET SCIENCE! NO INTENT TO HURT ANYONES FEELINGS. IT JUST SEEMS LIKE ALOT OF WORK AND AGRIVATION FOR NOTHING. I'M NO CHEMIST OR EPA AGENT, BUT SNIFFING BOILING ANTIFREEZE DOESN'T SOUND HEALTHY TO ME.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:47 PM
James Goss

Z-Best must really be a strong engine cleaner. I have heard that it will dissolve JB Weld and that is some hard material. Has anyone else heard of that? James Goss
Old 01-15-2002, 10:24 PM
Mike Bell

ZBest and anti freeze
I have used them both and they bothhave their strong points.

As health issues go. Ever read the active stuff in ZBest and the warnings STUKA BARRY?
"Chlorinated hydrocarbons, ammonia, vapor hamful"

Mike
Old 01-18-2002, 04:19 PM
chris-s

Crockpot and Washing Powder

Doesn't take very long, but you must must must must ensure that you rinse very very well and oil very very well since some washing powders can be corrosive, although I have never had a problem.

Use the same solution with a toothbrush on the outside if you don't wanna dis-assemble the engine, and a cloth on the body work.

Safer to animals than anti-freeze as well, so you need not worry so much about disposal, storage and handling. In case you didn't know, cats and dogs like the taste of antifreeze, which unfortunately prooves fatal.

Chris
Old 01-30-2002, 11:13 PM
TOYMAKER

Default ANTI-FREEZE

I cleaned a header one time with anti-freeze. A fellow modeler recommended doing this by boiling the part in the stuff. I did this on my outdoor grill. It worked great and didnt take long. However... a word of caution. Seems that after anitfreeze boils down it some how will self ignite. So if you do use this method turn the heat down, do it in a ventelated area(outdoors).

What about Demon Clean? Has anyone used this stuff?