Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Informational Handout - Leader Club Elective

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Informational Handout - Leader Club Elective

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 06:07 AM
NCBrit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Informational Handout - Leader Club Elective

Does anyone have a copy of their clubs informational handout that you can post. This is for elective #6 in the leader club requirements "Club has created an informational handout and provides it to the general public."
Old 09-30-2005, 07:59 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Informational Handout - Leader Club Elective

This is the FAQ that we hand out at events like Parades, and Mall Shows. We print these out with a Map to the field on the back side.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

WHO ARE WE?
We are a group of local radio control airplane enthusiasts who build and fly our models here in Willmar.

DO THEY REALLY FLY?
Yes. These are not toys. They are actual airplanes that fly on all of the same aerodynamic principles as full scale airplanes, they are just smaller, and controlled from the ground.

WHERE DO YOU FLY THEM?
We have a field on 37th Ave. NE. (Between Hwy 71/23 and County Rd. 9 just North of Willmar Senior High School)

WHEN DO YOU FLY THEM?
That’s tough to say. Generally, Saturdays or Sundays are very popular with many of us, although this sport is very dependant on weather. So if it’s raining or windy, we’ll be staying home. Of course if we have a beautiful Tuesday or Wednesday evening, we just might head out to the field.

CAN ANYONE COME AND WATCH?
Absolutely! We encourage spectators.

CAN ANYONE LEARN TO FLY THEM?
Like any hobby or sport, some people are better at it than others, but there’s no reason anyone can’t try it. And, there are no age restrictions! If you’re old enough to hold a transmitter (Control Box), you’re old enough to fly!

DO THEY EVER CRASH?
Yes. Unfortunately, crashes can be caused by a variety of things ranging from radio failure, or dead batteries, to structural failure, or pilot error. Fortunately, with the proper care and training, crashes don’t happen often

DO YOU FEEL BADLY WHEN THEY CRASH?
Yes.

HOW MUCH DO THEY COST?
Again, this depends. To get started there is about a $300.00 investment for a Kit, Engine, and Radio (not to mention the time you spent building it). Of course you can buy more expensive equipment, or you may find some good deals on used equipment. And once you have acquired an engine and radio, they may be re-used in a variety of different aircraft.

DO I HAVE TO BUILD IT?
You have several choices; 1) You can build from a kit. 2) You can buy a plane called an “A.R.F.” (Almost Ready to Fly) which only requires some basic assembly. 3) You can buy a fully built plane (usually used) or 4) You can “scratch build” from just a set of plans.

I LIVE ON A FARM, CAN I BUILD ONE AND FLY IT THERE?
You can, but you should not! At least, not until you learn how to fly, even if you are a pilot of full sized aircraft. Although these models fly by all the same principles as “real” airplanes, it is completely different controlling an airplane from the ground as it is controlling one from inside it. The same warning goes for people who drive radio controlled cars, if you get in trouble with a car, you can stop. The only way for an aircraft to stop is for it to come in contact with the ground, either on it’s wheels, or on some less-desirable part of the airplane.

HOW CAN I LEARN TO FLY?
We STRONGLY suggest that you join a club! Clubs have many well established flyers that can teach you the do’s and don’ts of R/C flying, along with giving you good advise as to the type of plane and equipment to start out with. We use a training system that almost guarantees success without crashing, and instructions are FREE!

DO I HAVE TO JOIN A CLUB TO TRY IT?
No. Many clubs have a program where non-members can try their hand at flying a trainer-type airplane which is owned by the club. But if you like it and wish to continue, you must join the club to continue using the facility. Our club dues are a modest $25.00 per year. However, we also require that you join an organization called the Academy of Model Aeronautics (A.M.A.) which provides you with liability insurance and costs about $50.00 per year.

WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT IT?
You can contact ----
Old 09-30-2005, 03:19 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Minn, Excellent FAQ Sheet !!!!
Old 10-01-2005, 10:16 AM
NCBrit

Very nice, hope you don't mind me using some of that.