Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Our field landowner is the best!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Our field landowner is the best!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Our field landowner is the best!

Our little club here in Conrad Montana has had an excellent field site for 3 years now. The land is owned by Kevin Moritz of Conrad, and I must say we are lucky! First, he doesn't charge and has never asked for a rental fee for this 150 yard X 250 yard chunk of pasture we use as our landing strip. We are right next to his irrigation ditch, and can flood irrigate the field if need be (usually once a year in July, field is wet for a day or two), and he has never complained about us using his water rights.

The only down side of this setup, is he moves sheep in in August and cows in October. Animals see that smooth green field and come a eatin' and a poopin'. Last year we strung an electric fence. That worked for a few months, but by spring, the animals had trampled the fence causing quite a mess with there hooves and butts. Kevin offered to pound posts for a more 'permanent' fence earlier this fall. Now, he has gone quite a few steps further. He supplied half the steel posts (50 or so @ over $3 a post), all the wooden corner and brace posts, and most of the wire we are going to need. For the last two evenings, he has selflessly donated his time and tractor helping us pound the posts in. This weekend, we are going to string our 4 foot woven wire fence, and top it off with a hot wire to keep the cattle at bay.

Thank you, Kevin Moritz. If you ever Google yourself and read this; I want you to know that your generosity has given the few flyers around here countless hours of fun, away from the roads, and noise of the city. I count our club blessings everyday, and you are at the top of that list.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82207.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	331514  
Old 09-30-2005, 09:31 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Our field landowner is the best!

Hey Deadeye, we have the same agreement with a local rancher and he too has been the best landlord a club could ask for. However, land must be worked in order to pay the bills, so we too have to share it with the cows and the hay harvesters.

We also have to avoid the occasional Turkey or Dear running across the runway for its life during hunting season since he leases the land to hunters.

But its still a small price to pay for two NSEW 800' runways, nice parking, and pleanty of room to crash in.

Thanks to all the landowners like Kevin and Fred, our landowner.

Scott
Old 09-30-2005, 03:14 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, as always " JEALOUS" here..................I can dream, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Get him a plaque from AMA.
It is a good jesture and very cheap
Old 09-30-2005, 07:35 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Jeez Geist, if he does ever Google himself and sees they got him a cheap plaque what's he gonna think!
Old 09-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Roquewj
My Feedback: (4)

Deadeye,

nice move, you sharing with us your club's gratitude to the landowner.

The suggestion to give him an AMA plaque is a great idea and I'm sure he will appreciate the gesture.

Good luck and enjoy what you have.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Deadeye

A plaque is a great idea! I will look into it.

EDIT: I've looked throught the AMA site. Do they have landowner appreciation plaques? I can't find any plaques.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Ross Kean

Better still - Buy him a trainer and radio and get him to join you!! Very small price to pay and much better than a plaque. I would suggest that the value of a modest trainer setup is a lot less than what he has given to you.

Ross
Old 10-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Deadeye

We've thought about a trainer setup for him, and although he enjoys watching us, he expresses no interest into doing this himself. He knows the offer to fly is always open.

EDIT: I forgot to mention we do buy him and his wife a gift certificate every Christmas for a fancy restaurant in the area...not to mention the beers we buy him when we happen to see each other at the local 'adult hydrating establishment'.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:07 AM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Randy,
Had a great time flying with you guys today! Hope to come back soon! Great Field..........Good Company.

Thanks Again,
Mark
Old 10-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Deadeye

Mark,
Ditto here. Funnest flying day I've had this season. That heli of yours ROCKS, by the way. Awesome flying.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:47 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

and pleanty of room to crash in.
Very important there At our field, to the east are houses, to the west is a active full scale airport, and to the north is a golf course. [&o]