Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Kyosho/Tower Divorce?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Capgains
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho/Tower Divorce?

I just received my 2006 Tower catalog in the mail yesterday, and Kyosho branded items are nowhere to be found. Additionally if you look on the Tower website, and enter Kyosho into the search of manufacturer, items show up on the list, but they all have discontinued in the stock status. Anybody know what gives?
Old 09-30-2005, 12:04 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Kyosho/Tower Divorce?

I heard somethin akin to Kyosho going under... hense the 'divorce' (more like a 'mourning relative')

Dunno if the rumor is true.

A freind had a bit of a time getitng spare parts recently..
Old 09-30-2005, 12:10 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You might try sending a PM to RCU member Bax. He is a customer service rep for Hobbico (parent company for Tower Hobby) and ask him this question. He should be able to get you an answer on it.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 09-30-2005, 12:17 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

When the contract expired, one or the other didn't renew it. Kyosho is still in business and distributing to retailers in the US through Kyosho America http://www.kyoshoamerica.com
Old 09-30-2005, 02:31 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Kyosho announced last spring that they were going to do their own worldwide on-line distribution. However, it doesn't seem to have taken off very well here in the states, for it was supposed to rival with Great Planes. After going to their website, nothing has really changed, and the two local distributors they show are no longer in business.

They need to get back into the mail order end of things. Appearently they are going strong in Aisa and Europe, but have not gotten real organized in the states.

I got a Kyosho sailboat that I needed parts for, but I still cannot get the parts here in the US. I ended up having a friend in Taiwan get them there while on busniess and bring them back.

Too bad, I like their stuff.

Scott
Old 09-30-2005, 03:11 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Just ordered some Caliber 30 Parts from them, alive and well in California. I think not being sold by Tower is going to hurt them until they make it more known to the public, that they are "alive and kickin" and on their own. I am sure most LHS can order direct from them now, instead of having to go through the GP/TOWER Monopoly.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:01 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That was their intention, to be able to sell direct to the LHS and also compete with GP for a share in the internet market. However, they still do not have the network set up yet to do the latter, so everything must be bought through your local distributor, and only items that they currently have stocked in the US.

They still have the large share of the RC market overseas so there isn't any issue about them going under. They may just cease to distribute in the US if they cannot break into this market successfully.

Scott
Old 09-30-2005, 04:15 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

I do not have any Kyosho cars or boats. It might cost a bit more, but they have everything in stock from the Heli stand point ( direct). Heliproz here in Montana, also has most Kyosho parts back in stock, and from what I have heard has no problem getting them now from them. It will come in time. They guy I talked with was very nice, informative and positive about their future here in the US. Viva La Kyosho...........LOL
Old 10-02-2005, 02:07 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never owned a Kyosho product for the simple reason that I know it's hard to get parts.

I'd be ticked-off if I had a boat, car, heli that needed parts and I had to buy a NIB item just to scavenge the parts.

I've seen about a dozen of their planes--and frankly, I thought the quality was terrible. Just my opinion.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:21 AM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

I have a Kyosho P-51 ARF and it is really nice! it is my opinion that it is the most scale ARF P-51 out there. and it flys too good!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16084.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	332504  
Old 10-02-2005, 08:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Scale dail,

I couldn't agree more with you....that is one good look'n bird!

Jerry

PS What ya got under the hood?
Old 10-03-2005, 01:06 AM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

OS.46SF with J-tec muffler,all completely in the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90661.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	333187