Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

covering

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 03:09 PM
bliebo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering

Why is Ultracote getting so expensive , and has anybody used Towercote and or Econocote?
Old 11-02-2002, 03:29 PM
ctdahle

Default covering

Probably because it comes into the country by boat. You can either blame the shippers or the union, take your pick.

I helped a friend put Towercote on his trainer about 18 months ago. It went on very nicely but after hundred flights or so the edges were all coming up. The film layer tends to separate from the color layer. I thought the colors (he used red, yellow and sky blue) looked a bit washed out and dull.

In cold weather (we frequently fly when it is below 25*F.) Towercote seems to resist puncture damage better than MonoKote.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:51 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default covering

Econokote and Towerkote are now just Towerkote. It's not a very good product compared to its competitors. Ultracote is a couple bucks more, but you get a covering that'll stay on for the life of the airplane and won't wrinkle every time you look at it sideways. Ultracote is also much easier to apply. You get what you pay for.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:46 PM
ramcharger

Default covering

Econokote still exist and I would never recommend it on a fuel powered plane. Any of the Econokote that gets in contact with exhaust residue willl de-laminate and turn ugly. The clear top coat will peel off and the fuel turns the undercoat to mush. About 6 or 7 years back I bought a dozen rolls of Econocote for $50.00. I liked the way it went on - low heat, light weight, good stretch, and great around curves. So I covered my 4*40, Sig Wonder, GP Dazzler, and a major portion of a SIG Kougar. I fly very much and after a year or so each plane turned really ugly due to de-lamination and each required recovering which is very time consumming and must be done outside due to use of acetone. My GP Dazzler required a new exhaust side aileron and elevator. I now use either Monokote or Ultracote (Ultracote if I want a true red). I have heard Towercote is the same as Econocote. Both should be advertised for electrics and non fueled gliders only.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:30 PM
bliebo

Default Covering

Thanks for all the replys, i wont use it thats for sure. Thanks again fellas.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:56 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default covering

Ultracote is really Oracover and I believe Oracover is available from Hobby Lobby a little bit cheaper.