Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Would you want to see more, less, same construction detail in RCU Magazine Reviews?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Would you want to see more, less, same construction detail in RCU Magazine Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 04:47 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you want to see more, less, same construction detail in RCU Magazine Reviews?

Vote and comment whether you would like to see more, less or the same amount of detail in the RC Universe Magazine reviews!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magcover.php
Old 11-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Crashem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you want to see more, less, same construction detail in RCU Magazine Reviews?

More detail would be great..

But I would like to see a policy instituted where if a vendor sends you a product for review. You review it no mater what the outcome of the review is. By all means give the vendor a chance to address your review before it is published but publish it regardless.

Inform the vendors of this policy before they send you a product.
This type of policy should enhance your userbase. I for one am allways looking for an honest apprisial of a product both good and bad also how a company handles these type of questions matters more to me then the problem itself. Anybody can sell something that works and look good its how companies service their customers when things didn't go well that I'm most intersted in.
That Marc is why I have become distressed as of late with the large number of thread closures that seem to accompany any bad mouthing of vendors products. If the moderators can and do remove the offending posts why do they also close the thread? Shouldn't removing the post suffice.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:21 PM
mvigod
Banned

Threads are closed if they get wildly out of hand. Posts are often close or urged to be edited if we cannot substantiate the statement in a reasonable fashion.

I have NO problem with the harshest of statements about a company or product being made as long as I have sufficient evidence to prove the statements are false. What I will not allow are attacks or negative statements which might be false and thus damaging to any company.

Perfect example is a recent incident with a user bashing VMAR. He bashed VMAR's tomohawk and we got accused of censorship by closing the thread as it wildly went on to attack VMAR. Turns out the Tomohawk didn't even exist yet and the user didn't have the Tomahawk! He later finds out the kit he was bashing was not even a VMAR product! So I could let that thread run without proof (which we didn't) so the user could bash VMAR and damage their reputation or close it since we had not evidence to justify it. Soon after the thread & posts appeared I got factual information proving that the statements made by this poster were false and why they were false.

Just a perfect example why we should not allow attacks or bashes unless we can reasonably believe the statements are true. If they are true they will stand uncensored. FYI very few posts or threads here on RCU are closed, deleted or censored in any way every month. We leave as much alone as possible and error on the side of letting most hot topics run their course until this no longer becomes possible. We get over 2000 posts/day. Most days none of them are touched.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:21 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would like to see more details. I do like the fact that you have a lot of pictures that go along with the articles.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:09 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I found the review of the Creek Hobbies Staudacher to be extremely helpful when I built mine. Matter of fact I didn't even look at the instructions included with the kit, I used the review.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:59 PM
crosswind

I'd like to see prices included in the specs. Maybe some do, but the reviews I've read didn't mention any prices. I know they vary, but an inclusion of retail and average street price would be nice. I also realize one can search out and find the price, but it would be nice not to have that bother.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:58 PM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

I like more AND less.

Let me explain.

It seems a lot of reviewers go into great detail on common assembly points. I'd love to see more detail on tricky or un-usual points and then more detail on the flight reports.

I don't understand why some people will dedicate 90% of a review to building a plane and 10% to flying it when what matters more is how it flies.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:22 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I'd like to see more construction detail and pictures. Also, I'd like to see the product assembled per the instructions using only the supplied hardware. Then, if changes need to be made, do so afterward. I understand that in cases of erroneous errors or omissions in the instructions there may be some deviation. But in general and for the sake of the new builder follow closely to the manufacturers instructions.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:29 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

To address a few of the comments above...

[1] Current reviews will have a retail price included in the review.

[2] As we progress and find out more of what the readers (you) want, we're finding that the difficulties, stumbling blocks, beneficial changes, etc. are what you want to see more so than regurgitating the instruction manual. This is most prevalent in my upcoming review for sure, and will be somewhat of a standard in the future for all reviewers. Also, the great thing about an online magazine is RCU has unlimited space to add pictures, and even video. We also have the ability to update the review at any point in time to let the readers know of potential quirks or praise after the model has been flown through several gallons of fuel. In short, we want to add as much detail as possible too.

[3] Part of the responsibility of assembling an ARF or building a kit is to make sure it is safe when completed. Sometimes the experienced reviewer will see things a novice may not. In these cases, knowing what changes would be recommended would prove beneficial to said novice. Another part of the reviews is to hopefully get some ideas you yourself may not have had but would like to incorporate into your project. Having a guide to go to will help you get what you're after too. That said, we do try to build them as stock as possible to give the reader the best idea of how the product works, is assembled, or builds, stock from the distributor.

Keep your comments and suggestions coming. It's the RCU members input that will make the magazine great!
Old 11-12-2002, 05:54 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

less this is how you attach the wings, its common knowelage, but like meationed more points that the normal modeler would think for a few mins, or think, ohh thats a new way of doing something.
good and bad reviews. video of that seaplane crashing was funny.

now you've been doing it a few months, updates. is the plane still ok, any improvements, has the RX you reviewed suddeny gone a bit weird, charger taken a liking to blowing up cells ect

is there a Fourms comments bit? like other people with the kit put their own views in a sub post of that review. leave the "how do i do this bit" for the main forum. kinda tag the users reviews (inculding ones already in the reviews forum) onto the end of RCU one in a link.
am i making sence?
Old 11-14-2002, 05:42 AM
mvigod
Banned

makes sense...I was going to tag a link to a forum thread for each review for q&a...we will likely do this as you suggest along with long term updates.