Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Amputee pilots...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 04:01 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Amputee pilots...

Hello,

One of my co-workers is thinking of getting an RC airplane for his father-in-law for Christmas. His father-in-law is about to retire and has expressed an interest in learning to fly RC. However, he is missing his left hand and is reported to be too stubborn to use a prosthesis... He's also reported to be very able and has worked as a mechanic his whole life.

So I am wondering if anyone has any experience, or suggestions for equipment that might help him learn to fly using just one hand...

I've thought a bit about this and the biggest obstacle appears to be having some way to at least run the throttle up and down...

TIA for your help.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:06 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Betya

He could manage a single stick well
Old 11-06-2002, 04:14 AM
Spadiator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of someone who flys with one hand using a shoulder tray to hold the radio. This person has an old 4 channel single stick and it works good. I've also seen him fly with an standard 2 stick with a lever type arm attaced to the left stick. Maybe someone makes a new 4 channel single stick, I just haven't seen one.

I certainly would encourage hime to get involved in the hobby, even if it's only 3 channel. With a little time a crativity, i'm sure a radio could be adapted to his needs and liking.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:23 AM
GalenB

Originally posted by Spadiator
I know of someone who flys with one hand using a shoulder tray to hold the radio. This person has an old 4 channel single stick and it works good. I've also seen him fly with an standard 2 stick with a lever type arm attaced to the left stick. Maybe someone makes a new 4 channel single stick, I just haven't seen one.

I certainly would encourage hime to get involved in the hobby, even if it's only 3 channel. With a little time a crativity, i'm sure a radio could be adapted to his needs and liking.
Thanks for the reply. His son-in-law feels that he will be able to adapt too. I am just hoping to learn what others have done and have been successful doing.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:48 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

With many of these newer computer radios, it isn't hard to program the radio such that a regular 4ch is perfectly controllable from one half of a standard two-stick radio. Single sticks have all but disappeared.

Take my 9C for instance. The right side slider can easily be programmed to control throttle. As for rudder, most sport pilots forget the rudder is even there once the plane leaves the ground anyway. Mixing in rudder with the aileron for taxing, and mixing out once the plane in flying is perfectly acceptable. Serious aerobatic would be a challenge, though. Once you manage to hook him on RC seriously enough to want to do IMAC routines, then you can think about TX modifications. Maybe he'll be more inclined to try prosthesis then.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:51 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

The club I use to belong to hosted an IMAC event about 5 years ago and there was a 70 or so guy flying that had one arm and he kicked butt!!!! He used a tray and a single stick radio, but of course did need some help in the pits starting the plane, but heck everyone helped him out, yes I will say it again, he was kicking BUTT!!!!!
Old 11-06-2002, 12:12 PM
$ircra$halot

On the last 2 Top Gun videos I've bought, there is a young man named Juan Carlo Costillo flying a fun fly exhibition, and his left arm ends at his elbow. It kind of looks like he uses it anyhow. In the 2001 video he even reaches out and snatches the plane out of mid air. It is truly incredible. If you were to get hold of Frank Tiano, the narrator of the Top Gun videos. type tiano, for a Internet address, then click on Frank Tiano enterprizes, you can find him. He may be able to help you get in touch with Juan Carlo. Only problem may be, I don't know if Juan speaks any English. Always happy to help if I can. Garry
Old 11-06-2002, 04:37 PM
robert

Yeah, I've seen some pictures of him flying, incredibe. As you said, he could trim the plane into a PERFECT hover, and then reach out and grab the rudder.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:56 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

The young man is Juan Pablo Castillo from Guatemala, he has been invited twice to Top Gun after he paid for the 1st trip and showed what he can do.
he has flown in a couple of fly-ins here in HOnduras, but I have not have the opportunity to meet him personally. He is now being sponsored by Futaba and some others.
As far as I can see in a couple of videos we have, he uses a regular radio without a tray, uses a neck strap he uses the stump on his left arm to use the throttle/rudder and his right hand as usual...... let me see if I can dig out his address; unfortunately the yahoo group where I he used to hang was getting very little traffic and I eliminated it just last week
I'm pretty sure he speaks english, not sure how fluent

Galen if your freind really want to get in touch with Juan Pablo, let me know and I can find out with the guatemalan modelers about his whereabouts.

best regards,
Patrick
Old 11-07-2002, 03:33 PM
Bruce Tharpe

This is amazing, I was flipping thru a British R/C mag last nite and came across an article by a guy who learned to fly with no left hand. He had a transmitter modified so the right stick had a knob for rudder (like a single stick). They hooked the throttle to a foot switch. The left stick was left operational, so an instructor could use the Tx for training or trimming flights. I can send you the article if you wish, Galen.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:19 PM
GalenB

Hi Bruce,

I would very much like to have a copy of that article -- thanks!

The foot pedal idea with a single stick Tx is the best idea I have heard yet. I know that you can get older single stick transmitter bodies stuffed with current computer radio "guts"...
Old 11-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Galen,

Coupla other "off the wall" options, since you already have the more conventional ones.

Some, if not all, of the Graupner radios have the option of having additional controls added at the end of the sticks - I've seen both toggles and pushbuttons added there. Not sure if there's any option for any other types of controls, such as a knob, but you could check. You can also configure some of their radios with switches, sliders etc just about anywhere you want (instead of just having factory-standard locatons for everything) - that would allow for putting lots more stuff within reach of a single hand. You might check with Johhny Hernandez (http://www.rcuniverse.com/member.php...fo&userid=3213) about the Graupner radios.

There was a company demonstrating at the Reno Air Races a few years ago, who made a small sit-in unit that connected to your TX so that you could fly models as if in a real cockpit (central stick, rudder pedals etc). While the real intention seemed to be just for fun, it struck me at the time that this could also be useful for some of our disabled pilots. I *think* I finally threw their blurb away - but will try to remember to check tonight just in case. If nothing else, that shows that external devices can be hooked up as needed - perhaps a pair of rudder pedals for computer-gaming could be adapted, etc.

Last but not least, I recall reading in a mag several years ago about a guy who had had both arms amputated - he was fascinated by R/C, but figured he would not be able to do it. One of his local club members pulled off his shoes & socks and flew his Weeks biplane with his feet, just to show what could be done. Clearly, your friend's father-in-law doesn't need to go that extreme, but it does show that there are all sorts of ways to overcome hurdles like this, not just the more obvious and conventional methods.

Best of luck,
Gordon
Old 11-07-2002, 07:02 PM
Randy-RCU

Contact Mike Stokes at [email protected], Mike is the Team Futaba Manager. I am not 100% on this one but I think Futaba can put him in the right direction with a 1stick radio

Say hello to Mike for me also please, he is a real nice guy.

Randy Brown
Team Airtronics
Old 11-07-2002, 09:38 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where's BUZ^ when we need him?
Old 11-07-2002, 10:05 PM
Randy-RCU

Originally posted by MinnFlyer
Where's BUZ^ when we need him?
I am trying to wake the old dog up in chat

think he feel asleep
Old 11-07-2002, 10:34 PM
Buz^
My Feedback: (2)

Default HANDICAPPED FLIER'S

Hi guy's, One thing I can attest to is that it's dang near impossible to get into rc challenged without the help of other flier's (club member's). I've read several thread's about the help given to those such as myself who couldn't't, or wouldn't be flying without the help of other's. I'm proud to be in a hobby that more resemble's a community of helpful & generous people willing to give of them selves to help everyone from the newbie that hasn't a clue , to physically challenged people such as myself. I especially thought it was very cool of the guy's that jumped in to design and build a radio system for the quad gentleman a while back. By the way, I'd love to read an update on that project. Myself, I have about 40% use of my left hand (rat's!! I'm right handed) and 20% use of the right. With the use of a TX tray and over sized gimbles I'm happy to say that I have 23 flight's in and getting better each time out. On the right stick, I have to apply pressure to the top with the palm of my hand and make my control impute's that way . actually using my arm movement's instead of just fingers. And hey!! It work's. My thanks to my flying buddy and instructor Dave Agar (comm. moderator in here) also , thx to you guy's that are so willing to help us get into the hobby we love . Buz^
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	34342_4849.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	21744  
Old 11-07-2002, 10:44 PM
Randy-RCU

One thing I have learned Buz over the years.. not to be affraid to ask for help

I realy do like making the two lagged flyers look bad in teh air though

I never new Dave in here was your instructor

When you gonna tell him about all the other stuff you tell us about him

HEHEHE

just kiddin

Soon your gonna be covering Daves plane by the looks of your last peace of Art also

Ta Ta Old buddy

Randy
Old 11-08-2002, 04:40 AM
GalenB

Many thanks to all who have responed and I'll make sure my co-worker gets all of this information.

Now I have another request -- my co-worker's father-in-law lives in Winnipeg and I would like to put him in contact with some local modelers. He has email and I will forward on the contact info for any one who would like to help.

As always TIA for your help.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:07 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The Buz

As Buz mentioned I have been his instructor since he got back into RC. In the months that we have been working together Buz has made major leaps forward in his flying abilities. I very rarely take control of the plane when he is flying and he has even done a couple of landings. Over the years I have had the pleasure of helping a couple other flyers with disabilities and the success of the training program is dependant on the attitude of the student and the patience of an instructor. Buz has a can do attitude and he does not let anything stop him. This makes a huge difference in his flying abilities. We have made numerous adjustments to his radio and radio tray, as well where is sitting on the field to fly and we have hit on a combination that works. Buz will solo soon and when he does he and I shall pop the cork on a Pepsi and celebrate, but Buz will always need a little help in the pits and I along with the other members of the RC brotherhood will be there to assit when needed. I have indeed found a new friend in Buz and his wife and I look forward to many years of friendship, both on and off the field. Thanks once again, Dave.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:04 PM
Randy-RCU

Default Re: The Buz

Well I have this attitude about the word "disablitlite". the only one disabiled is the idiot that invented the word

Dave has buz showed you those vinyl graphics I cut for him of the flames comming off the wheelchair yet??

Randy

Originally posted by DavidAgar
As Buz mentioned I have been his instructor since he got back into RC. In the months that we have been working together Buz has made major leaps forward in his flying abilities. I very rarely take control of the plane when he is flying and he has even done a couple of landings. Over the years I have had the pleasure of helping a couple other flyers with disabilities and the success of the training program is dependant on the attitude of the student and the patience of an instructor. Buz has a can do attitude and he does not let anything stop him. This makes a huge difference in his flying abilities. We have made numerous adjustments to his radio and radio tray, as well where is sitting on the field to fly and we have hit on a combination that works. Buz will solo soon and when he does he and I shall pop the cork on a Pepsi and celebrate, but Buz will always need a little help in the pits and I along with the other members of the RC brotherhood will be there to assit when needed. I have indeed found a new friend in Buz and his wife and I look forward to many years of friendship, both on and off the field. Thanks once again, Dave.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:08 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Graphic's

He has indeed shown me the graphic's. He has not told me just what plane he is going to install them on as of yet, but I will see if I can get a definite awnser from him on this.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:36 PM
Randy-RCU

Default Re: Graphic's

Originally posted by DavidAgar
He has indeed shown me the graphic's. He has not told me just what plane he is going to install them on as of yet, but I will see if I can get a definite awnser from him on this.
You sould come join us in chat some day

Randy
Old 11-08-2002, 10:41 PM
The PIPE

Default Knobby radios NOT around anymore-BETTER CHECK AGAIN...

Dear Volfy and GalenB:

The PIPE Here again-and perhaps you saw-or didn't see YET-my thread on how to BUILD YOUR OWN SINGLE STICK RADIO-and it's here at http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...053&forumid=70 !!!

And the BEST part of all this is that ALL THIS INFO is Internet based as far as the SOURCES for the components for your "new knobby" Tx!

So what if no one "in the business" is building "knobby" radios anymore commercially-you CAN build, or get one built, these days with the parts sources I've given the links for in the RC Universe thread link shown here!

Think about it-there's STILL stuff sround for one to "cobble up" their own "cuddlebox" single stick "knobby" RC radio-as that's ALL I'll EVER fly with!

And here I am flying with one of my "knobbies" last year!

But check those links out at THE link here at RC Universe-you would be VERY suprised at what's available!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE! )
Old 11-08-2002, 11:01 PM
Randy-RCU

Default Re: Knobby radios NOT around anymore-BETTER CHECK AGAIN...

Will they be ablle to get it FCC oked

Alot of fields it would have to be FCC oked to be able to use I suspect

Randy

Originally posted by The PIPE
Dear Volfy and GalenB:

The PIPE Here again-and perhaps you saw-or didn't see YET-my thread on how to BUILD YOUR OWN SINGLE STICK RADIO-and it's here at http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...053&forumid=70 !!!

And the BEST part of all this is that ALL THIS INFO is Internet based as far as the SOURCES for the components for your "new knobby" Tx!

So what if no one "in the business" is building "knobby" radios anymore commercially-you CAN build, or get one built, these days with the parts sources I've given the links for in the RC Universe thread link shown here!

Think about it-there's STILL stuff sround for one to "cobble up" their own "cuddlebox" single stick "knobby" RC radio-as that's ALL I'll EVER fly with!

And here I am flying with one of my "knobbies" last year!

But check those links out at THE link here at RC Universe-you would be VERY suprised at what's available!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
]
Old 11-09-2002, 09:40 AM
$ircra$halot

Buz you and Juan Carlo Costilla and others that are challanged in one form or another, are an inspiration to all. Keep up the good work/fun and godspeed to all. Always happy to help if I can. Garry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.