Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever used special magnification prescription glasses for flying?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Anybody ever used special magnification prescription glasses for flying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 11:55 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody ever used special magnification prescription glasses for flying?

Especially you old geesers out there like me: Do you know of anyone that's ever had prescription eye glasses made up special for our sport of flying RC planes in the distance?

Seems to me that having an optometrist making up a pair of eye glasse that would consist of 1.5x to 2X magnification would be helpfull for older eyes that don't quite focus as sharp on distant RC planes.

I was curious if an object would focus just as sharp at 25 feet as it would at 200 yards. So I grabbed a rifle scope of 2X power and adjusted the objective ring so it would focus both near and far for me. Works great! Except I can't have a one eyed rifle scope taped to my forehead.....neither would binoculars strapped to my head be very practical.

So.... I wonder if eye glasses of the same nature could be made up special by an optometrist. I'm going to stop by a local optometrist and run this by them.....But in the meantime, I was just wondering if someone out there has already done this?????

Old 11-11-2005, 06:28 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Anybody ever used special magnification prescription glasses for flying?

I didn't have that, but one doctor found out why I walk with my head slightly tilted to the side......my eyes do not see the horizon at the correct angle....and perscribed glasses to correct that.

AND that explains why when I was trying to fly 'straight and level' I was always slightly turning - one wing was higher than the other, but I thought they were level!

NOW WHAT excuses can I use because I still can fly straight and level [&:]

Jerry
Old 11-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Epoxy Moxy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anybody ever used special magnification prescription glasses for flying?

ORIGINAL: RandallM.

I was curious if an object would focus just as sharp at 25 feet as it would at strapped t200 yards. So I grabbed a rifle scope of 2X power and adjusted the objective ring so it would focus both near and far for me. Works great! Except I can't have a one eyed rifle scope taped to my forehead.....neither would binoculars o my head be very practical.

Yeah but, the mental picture I'm getting is a hoot
Old 11-11-2005, 08:53 PM
CP140

It might work, although I think it might mess up your depth perception a bit.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:24 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

It would probably take a special, as yet uninvented lens, to constantly adjust to the distance from the pilot to the model. If it were plain at 200 yards it would be a blur when the airplane reached the runway or vice versa. If you discover an answer please let all us old geezers know.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Stew99

If you are looking for a telescopic effect that might be a problem but for years I wore contact lenses that were over corrected to 20/15. As I got older and my near vision started to go, the optometrist backed them off to 20/20. It should be possible to make a pair of glasses that "over correct" and most people should still be able to focus over the normal flying range. You probably would have to take them off for close vision.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:33 PM
rustyrivet

Yea Stew,
I bet something could be made, but honestly, when push came to shove, I decided it's not a priority to walk into an optometrists store and shell out a few hundred bucks for it at this time.

It seems most of the folks replying to this thread are not into guns. Because, if any of you have experience with a low power setting on a rifle scope (1 1/2X to 2 X magnification), you would see that you could adjust the focus on it well enough that it will focus at both near and far. (just like how hunters are able to use a fixed power scope on a target at any distance)

Keep in mind that's its not so important to be able to focus in and read the small lettering on the plane as you fly it over the run way. Neither is it important to use such specialized prescription glasses to read the New York Times when you're not flying. The idea is to be able to have instant ORIENTATION OF YOUR PLANE AT ALL DISTANCES, ESPECIALLY AT THE FARTHEST POINT.

I guess nobody has done this.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:53 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

RandallM, I bought a pair of glasses from a company out of Arizona, and they had a model called Randalls I think. They sent me some lenses to hold over my glasses and I then looked over my sights and at the target at the same time to see what worked best for me. When I got that figured out I tried some different colored lenses they also sent to see what looked best in different lighting conditions. They also put a very small bi-focal on the very bottom of the left lens so I could easily adjust my sights or see to do other up close small stuff. The frames are very high quality and the lens are easily exchanged. At the time I thought the cost was very reasonable. Lehman Optical was their name and I think they were in Phoenix. I still use mine once in a while to fly with. The amber color really plays heck with some of the color combos on my planes but my depth perception seems to be a little better.
FEB
Old 11-16-2005, 05:14 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

A little different approach, I had Lasik Surgery 6 years ago. In my case my vision is 20/15 at distance. I use drugstore glasses up close for reading and building etc..
I got a lot of satisfaction when one of the club "experts" was with me on the flight line, un-invited and told me I was getting too far out to see the plane......I replied that maybe he couldn't but I was doing fine. He is one of those who is always right and you should follow his example. It does work well at least in my case.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:50 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this effort and ultimately failed. My vision is basically perfect. (sort of) I'm 50 and my vision has been in the 20/15ish area. In the last year or so, the reading glasses have shown up. I noticed that something was up on some of my planes but at the speed I fly them, well thats what happens.

A few weeks ago I gave myself a home test. My vision in my left eye was seemed fine but my right was off. So I went to the doctor. My left eye was 20/17 and my right was 20/25. Still basically very good. I told him why I was interested in a pair of glasses only for part time use (flying R/C). He didn't care and said "fine."

So I get a pair and try them out. Nothing had changed at all. The left lense had no corrction cuz the eye was fine and the right side did but no change in vision. Turns out the idiot forgot to tell me that I have a mild cataract (clouding of my lense) in my right eye and that no perscription correction will help it other than surgery.

It was all a waste of time, so maybe in a few years it might be worth it but whatever.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:57 PM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Hi;A while ago I met an older fellow at a swap meet.His vision was so bad couldn't recognize someone at 3'.He still flew showed me his glasses had a cap with brim and mounted to that were 2 small scope like things that he could look thru when flying.Said he still was limited to large planes ansd usually flew with a spotter but was still able to fly!!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Think I would stay off the flightline and be close to shelter when that guy flys. I know several with vision problems and they "kill" more planes than most people.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:09 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Yea Stew,
I bet something could be made, but honestly, when push came to shove, I decided it's not a priority to walk into an optometrists store and shell out a few hundred bucks for it at this time.

It seems most of the folks replying to this thread are not into guns. Because, if any of you have experience with a low power setting on a rifle scope (1 1/2X to 2 X magnification), you would see that you could adjust the focus on it well enough that it will focus at both near and far. (just like how hunters are able to use a fixed power scope on a target at any distance)

Keep in mind that's its not so important to be able to focus in and read the small lettering on the plane as you fly it over the run way. Neither is it important to use such specialized prescription glasses to read the New York Times when you're not flying. The idea is to be able to have instant ORIENTATION OF YOUR PLANE AT ALL DISTANCES, ESPECIALLY AT THE FARTHEST POINT.

I guess nobody has done this.
Low power rifle scopes do give more of a focus range than the higher powers do. It seems you are overlooking the major drawback- field of vision. A scope is useful if you can bring the crosshairs on a target. Tough to do on a moving target. Ever wonder why shotguns (firing shot, not slugs) don't use scopes?
Old 11-17-2005, 08:20 PM
balsabuster2003

AMA Model Aircraft Safety Code: Radio Control:
9. The operator of a radio controlled model aircraft shall control it during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses that are prescribed for the pilot.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:30 PM
balsabuster2003

I guess that means that we can't use these www.sportbinox.com . They come in 8X, 6X and 4X power. The 4X would probably be more practical. (900 ft. field of view)
Old 11-17-2005, 08:57 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does that mean Mr. Brown violated the rule when he finished the transAtlantic crossing by Mr. Hill? <g>

Jerry
Old 11-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

This is a very interesting topic. I am 67 years old and have a normal old age loss of vision. For me the answer is to keep my airplane closer!. Its that simple. As to the other problems, such as hand-eye coordination, slow down. Skinny Bob
ORIGINAL: balsabuster2003

9. The operator of a radio controlled model aircraft shall control it during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses that are prescribed for the pilot.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:44 AM
AgCat1982

ORIGINAL: balsabuster2003

The original post was asking about PRESCRIPTION lenses.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was flying with a spotter one day when this guy blew right past me! I said to him "what the heck was that?". He replied "that was you!"

ORIGINAL: Gizmo-RCU

Think I would stay off the flightline and be close to shelter when that guy flys. I know several with vision problems and they "kill" more planes than most people.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:02 AM
rustyrivet

Do you know of anyone that's ever had prescription eye glasses made up special for our sport of flying RC planes in the distance?

Seems to me that having an optometrist making up a pair of eye glasse that would consist of 1.5x to 2X magnification would be helpfull for older eyes that don't quite focus as sharp on distant RC planes.

Gizmo. I'm not blind. I can see and follow the plane a pretty good distance. It's the orientation of the plane as it banks on its approach from 100+ yards away, or looking up at it high in the shadowing caused by clouds in the late afternoon sunny sky that can be challenging. I have heard folks who have good vision, but are just short of 20/20 vision, make the same complaints.

I still shake like a leaf when I fly. I'm nervous during the entire whole 5 minutes once every 3 or 4 weeks that I get to practice. So as far as you stating that I'll be "killing planes" due to poor vision...... no. It's more like I'm still crashing em during the learning process, irregardless of vision. (If that makes you feel any better while you run for cover. )