The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Club meeting attendence

Old 12-03-2005, 08:43 PM
1/4 flyboy
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Club meeting attendence

How is the attendence in your clubs monthly meeting,we have an average of ten out of sixty that show up, I was just wondering if they were all like this or just ours. thanks
Old 12-03-2005, 08:56 PM
upnflyin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Club meeting attendence

We had our meeting thru nite and had a whole 11 attend. That is about 25%. And this was an election meeting. Things are pretty slow.
Upnflyin
Old 12-03-2005, 09:24 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have some 65 members, and usually 5-10 are at meetings.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:37 PM
jkeze
My Feedback: (36)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our club has about 180 members and we if 35-45 show up at a meeting that is pretty good. Now next month when we have a small Christmas party with free pizza and soft drinks than we have about 100 show up. Go figure.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:41 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

jkeze,
The answer is simple.... two words.... Free + Food :-D

I belong to two RC clubs and one ham radio club. They're the same... Only 20%-25% show up unless there is something extra special going on.

Bob
Old 12-03-2005, 09:47 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My club has about 80 members and if you get 20 at a meeting it is a good meeting. If you get 10 at the flying field it is a fun fly or 80 degree's. This has been the norm at all the clubs I have ever been a member off. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-03-2005, 09:48 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When we have our meeings at the flying field during the flying season then attendence is up, but not by much. Now that the snow has come and the field is closed for the winter, then on avarage 10 to 15 show up and thats on a good night.
NEDYOB
Old 12-03-2005, 11:03 PM
CP140

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's the same in any club. You have the same 10-20% who are regulars and volunteer for stuff,,, and then there's the rest who sort of float around the edges and complain about how things are run.

Edit:Insert missed word.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:38 PM
YNOT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Same 12-15 every meeting out of 65.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:48 PM
noterman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We're doing pretty good at my club. We usually have 15-16 people show up for meetings, not bad for a total membership of 30-35. It's always the same people, but they are also the ones you see flying at the feild.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:36 AM
khodges

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Same here. Out of about 50 members, usually the same 15-20 will show up for meetings, the "core" group. The rest just pay their dues so they can have a place to fly, and a lot of our members don't even fly-----go figure. That's all fine, helps us pay the land lease. Our summer meetings are at the field, usually more people at those, because we fly before and after the meeting.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:29 AM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have about 40 members. We meet at a restaurant but everyone has to buy their own meal. If we get 15 or more at a meeting that's huge. 10 is normal but 6 is not unheard of. We have a door prize drawing at each meeting but even that doesn't seem to help. We're not a creative group I guess, so our meetings are pretty boring.
Typical meeting:
Read prior meeting minutes
Treasury report
Safety Officer report
Field Marshall report
Visitor / new member introductions
Committee reports - we rarely have any
Old business - often none
New business - often none
Door prize drawing
Show and tell - someone brings in a project maybe 2 or 3 times per year

This is not exactly exciting stuff. I am club secretary and I try to make every meeting. The majority really just want to fly an airplane. I have considered attempting to get the club bylaws changed to schedule the meetings quarterly versus monthly.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:06 AM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The question is what are you doing at the meetings?
I was a club President for several years and when I took over, the only thing that ever took place at meetings was "club business". They sat around and argued over the most trivial crap and constantly changed the Constitution and Bylaws. Past Presidents had the membership voting on every single issue the club needed a decision on and it was horrible at best! The club elects the executive council to manage the club. If they are unable to make decisions, why even elect them at all?
To change the way my club had done business for years, the first thing I changed was moving the meeting place to a Junior High school shop classroom. Then I planned model airplane stuff to do at each meeting. (our last meeting we had a club SPAD building project). I stepped up to the plate and started making decisions about paying bills, field maintenance and fostering a positive relationship with our landlord (USAF). Large expenditures for the treasury were still voted on by the general membership and issues that I knew would bring long winded debates were placed in the hands of a committee to research and resolve. I had the membership appoint the committee's to avoid political favoritism allegations.
To make life a bit easier, I started to provide food at the meetings so that members who wanted to attend the meeting did not have to miss dinner and could come straight from work.
The end result of my effort was a meeting with a 15 minute business session, and then a monthly presentation or project for the following 2 hours. The membership attendance went from 10-12 out of a 100 member club, to 60+ members. I even had members from neighboring clubs join, not to fly at the field, but so they could attend and participate at the meetings.
The bottom line is most members do not want to attend a business session with a lot of debating and hot air. They will attend a meeting that is fun, entertaining and has to do with why we are a club to begin with, R/C airplanes!
To make this happen requires a strong club President that is willing to do the work to make the meetings a success. It takes a lot of work to put together good meetings and if the president has several dependable members that can help, it makes the whole effort worthwhile.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And once they burn out the strong club president then what? Just how many club members are pitching in to help him sustain the program. Who is ready to step into his shoes and carry on the effort? You can only carry a club for so long. I'm ready for a commercial venture to supply me with a well maintained flying site for $200/year membership.

Red S.
Ex club president for 12 consecutive years/and news letter editor for 10 of those.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:18 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

And once they burn out the strong club president then what? Just how many club members are pitching in to help him sustain the program. Who is ready to step into his shoes and carry on the effort?
Red, you are right and I am the example. I had to step down as President this year (I now fill the VP position) because my job moved me from a Monday thru Friday position, to rotating shift work. This prevents me from putting in the hours it requires to do the job right. The new President is honestly trying, but just like I was, he is a one man band.
The whole thing would really work well if the President had 2 or 3 reliable folks to help on a regular basis.
I really think the key though to a good meeting is something, .......anything, but administrative business and safety complaints on the agenda.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:37 PM
khodges

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: carrellh

This is not exactly exciting stuff.
I'm sorry---fell asleep reading, what were you saying? Really, I'm with you on this. I, too am my club's secretary, got voted in for a 2nd term w/o opposition (as did the other club officers---nobody else wants to do it). My only duties are really the newsletter and website, and helping the treasurer keep track of membership and charter, etc.

When it all boils down, there shouldn't really be much to do, unless there's an event to plan, or some infighting to quell (luckily there is very dang little of that in our club). Like you said, everybody just wants a place to fly, and as long as the lease and AMA is paid, the neighbors don't complain, and the weather is good, that's basically what we do.

I'm falling into the boredom thing, too. There's nothing to put in the newsletter, just rehashing old and new business, same goes with the website. Word of mouth usually gets information around faster, anyway. I've mentioned moving the newsletter to a quarterly instead of monthly, didn't get much response either way. I try to put it on the website , don't have to mail as many, but less than half our members are on-line.

However, I am still "there" for the club, willing to do whatever is needed, along with the other officers. Our former officers are still active, and a big help. We incorporated our club this year for tax and liablity reasons, haven't noticed any difference, yet.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:05 AM
IronCross

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anyone considered the meetings always seem to be held at night Our club meets at night also... Most of the members are older and retired etc... Most of us don't have very good night vision anymore and avoid night driving as much as possible.. Makes it real difficult to attend the night meetings... Just not worth the risk.. Closest club too us has there meetings on Sat afternoons.. There attendance is twice what ours is... Hmmmm
Old 12-05-2005, 11:55 AM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All of this sounds very familiar. Our club has the same attendance ratios that other here are talking about. Same people at the meetings and work parties. We also just had our elections.

Pres-unopposed
Vice Pres - did not show up to nominate himself so I nominated myself. Then he shows up at the election, I won
Treasurer - unopposed
Secretary - unopposed
Webmaster - unopposed - me
Newsletter editor - not filled

It's the same members doing the same things. I'm 44 with 4 kids. I'm busy, everyone is busy. I feel for some of the older members who give a lot and are not appreciated by everyone. Our younger membership just does not show up. At our last work party we only had 12 members show up. We planned on spreading 3 dump truck loads (15 yards each) of dirt across the field. That was way to much work.
It just seems that if you do the work or give the effort, you should reap some rewards.
I don't have the answers.
We have our planning meeting this January, I guess we can discuss there issues then.

Bill
Old 12-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Roby

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1/4 FLYBOY

Seems like your not alone doesn't it. I'm sure that
what you see for attendance is just about the norm
for other clubs as well.

We have about 50 members in our club and usually
we get around 12 to 18 people that attend the monthly
meeting. We just had elections.....if you could call it that.
The positions simply go to anyone who is willing to do
the job.

Some members really get ticked at the poor attendance
but personally I could care less as long as the dues are paid.
If members don't want to attend ,fine stay home, that way it's
easier to pass spending issues.

If your trying to get people to your monthly meeting make it
worth their time. One thing we have just started at our meetings
is everyone that attends is eligible for one of SEVERAL decent door prizes.
(worth 10.00 or more) What the heck , make the ones who don't
want to partake, pay for the ones who do. My odds are better if
they stay home.

Regards
Roby

Old 12-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

<<snip>> I'm ready for a commercial venture to supply me with a well maintained flying site for $200/year membership.<<snip>>
Hey Red, I just found out I can drive 25 miles to a school Sports Arena / Dome and pay $10 / hr to fly electrics (on Tuesday evenings.) Hours are from 9PM to 11PM

Let's see... at the field, I spend maybe 200 to 400 hours a year... Hey! Them club dues are a BARGAIN!!!

That $200/year site looks pretty good, too... let me know if you find one, I'll sign up!

Thank you, club officers.
Dave Olson
(former club officer)
Old 12-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Floater-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our club usually has between 12 and 20 members ( I think ). We have one meeting a year during which we elect officers and set dates for functions. Most try to show up if they are not working. It's mostly held in Jan or Feb when the snow is deep so it is nice to get back in touch with flying friends and see what they are working on.

Floater
Old 12-06-2005, 06:23 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

10 out of 103 is a good turnout for my club.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have 150+ members and usually get 10 at each meeting.
Our Christmas party which is the December meeting, we get about 80 people (couples).
Old 12-12-2005, 12:34 AM
Bass1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm one of those guys that shows up once a year at club meetings. I would probably attend more often if there were some entertainment such as RC oriented films(especially during winter or off season months) on a large screen. Scale masters, Extreme aerobatics, crash videos etc. Popcorn, candy and soft drinks could be available. The only time we have a large turnout is the annual club auction in February. Coming up with an inexpensive large screen TV/projector that could play DVD's and VHF tapes would be the tuff part!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:08 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We get about 35 to 40 members at our meetings, but we have 350 members. It is mainly a social monthly event.