Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Moving to South Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 10:56 AM
mazer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to South Carolina

Hi everyone, I'm being transferred to South Carolina, Fort Mill to be precise, I've gone to the AMA website and see there are a few R/C clubs there, but was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for a new flyer, looking to get his first low wing could find a home.
I am interested in Warbirds.
I'd love to build a kit, but have no experience in doing this, so would like to get some instruction, or just watch someone build and then try it myself.
My move isn't happenning till February or March, but I'd like to start making plans.
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance!
Pete
Old 12-12-2005, 04:22 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Moving to South Carolina

Hi Mazer - Try this out for a bunch of RC Club and Field info. It's Bill Lee's AMA [link=http://www.ama-dist-8.org/Clubs/Locator.php]Club Locator[/link]. I fed in the Zip of 29715 for Fort Mill and a 50 mile radius and came up with about 19 Clubs. If you see a link on some of the clubs that says 'Link to GPS and Aerial Photos', you'll find additional info I provide that includes satellite imagery, maps, runway types, etc.

Hope it helps a little and enjoy the new country, looks like some awesome places to fly in that area.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:30 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mazer--There's a great club in York, about 15 miles from Fort Mill (west of Rock Hill). I don't have it handy, but will post the webaddress of their site when I find it. There is also a really good LHS in Rock Hill, called The Hobby Stop. It's off I-77 at exit 77 turn right at the light at the end of the ramp and go about 1/2 mile on right. They have a car track out back, and a potful of stuff inside. My inlaws all live around Rock Hill, I live about 45 minutes northwest of Charlotte. Lots of good flying in this area, we have 3 good fields and a lake site in Hickory (and another great LHS) and the Charlotte area also has several clubs and flying sites. Best of all, Fort Mill is only an hour or so from Tripletree Aerodrome (Joe Nall).

Welcome to the Carolinas!
Old 12-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

You probably won't find better modeling than in S. Carolina. Any place that hosts the largest modeling event in the world http://www.joenall.com/ must have something going for it.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:56 PM
ChickenStick Rick
My Feedback: (674)

Hi Mazur,
Check out the Charlotte Aeromodelers as well. Probably the best field in the area. No obstructions and wide open. Great family facility as well. www.charlotteaeromodelers.org Let me know if I can help, I used to be the club pres. Would love you to come visit.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:53 AM
mazer
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks everyone, I'll check out all the infor you've posted. I checked out the AMA site and did a club search and as I mentioned there was no real information on the clubs, just names. I'm going to look for a house second week of January, looking in Rock Hill, Chester, Lancaster and Fort Mill (which is closest to my work). Looks like I may finally find someone that builds models.
Thanks again!!
Mazer
Old 12-13-2005, 04:09 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mazer-- the address of York's club is www.yorkcountyflyers.com Our address here in Hickory is www.wham-rc.org Ken
Old 12-14-2005, 11:33 AM
btpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Check out the Flying Tigers club outside of Lake City, S.C. They have a wonderful club with a beautiful field. From what I understand they are in the process of adding another runway to go along with the 2800 foot strip they use now. They share the field with a ultralight club. The website is www.flyingtigersrc.com. On thier links page is a couple of other good clubs near Florence.