Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

omni models/tower hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 02:53 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default omni models/tower hobbies

Is omni and tower related somehow to each other?
Old 12-25-2005, 03:19 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: omni models/tower hobbies

Yes, same parent company, but a slightly different retail theme.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:54 PM
tsands
My Feedback: (3)

The websites were messed up a couple wks ago. I went to tower and kept getting sent to omni. WEIRD this is the first I've heard of them being related
Old 12-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Mike in DC

If you spend even a few minutes, it's hard to miss that they are the same website, with a different "style sheet". The tech notes are identical, and last I knew the prices were too. I haven't checked recently, but in the old days the only difference was that Tower spent all their money on paper advertising (mass mailings) and "dollars off" specials, and Omni offers free shipping over $100 (that's $8 off the Tower price last I checked).

In the past, other posters have asserted that the phones are answered in the same room, and the products were shipped from the same warehouse by the same people.

So, why the deception? Many, many companies have multiple web sites under a variety of different names on the theory, I assume, that they'll show up more often on web searches. Personally, I think this is deception, and I avoid companies that do this, on the basis if a company is prone to deception in any facet, they are probably deceptive in other areas as well (like dealing with customers). Also, if I'm doing research on prices, they waste my time.

Still, I'm not convinced this is the case with Tower/OmniModels. The best theory I've heard was that someone at Tower figured that a certain percentage of customers would get so pissed off that they'd swear never to buy again at Tower. The idea is that they might, unknowingly, buy at OmniModels. But, I don't know. The extra web site and maintaining the illusion of two separate companies must cost something. Still, the folks at Tower are good business men, so you know they must have run the numbers, and found it works out for them.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:16 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Mike in DC

If you spend even a few minutes, it's hard to miss that they are the same website, with a different "style sheet". The tech notes are identical, and last I knew the prices were too. I haven't checked recently, but in the old days the only difference was that Tower spent all their money on paper advertising (mass mailings) and "dollars off" specials, and Omni offers free shipping over $100 (that's $8 off the Tower price last I checked).

In the past, other posters have asserted that the phones are answered in the same room, and the products were shipped from the same warehouse by the same people.

So, why the deception? Many, many companies have multiple web sites under a variety of different names on the theory, I assume, that they'll show up more often on web searches. Personally, I think this is deception, and I avoid companies that do this, on the basis if a company is prone to deception in any facet, they are probably deceptive in other areas as well (like dealing with customers). Also, if I'm doing research on prices, they waste my time.

Still, I'm not convinced this is the case with Tower/OmniModels. The best theory I've heard was that someone at Tower figured that a certain percentage of customers would get so pissed off that they'd swear never to buy again at Tower. The idea is that they might, unknowingly, buy at OmniModels. But, I don't know. The extra web site and maintaining the illusion of two separate companies must cost something. Still, the folks at Tower are good business men, so you know they must have run the numbers, and found it works out for them.
I've had stellar service from Tower, their web site is the best organized of all the R/C vendors, their prices, with discounts factored in, are frequently the best, their shipping charges are clearly stated and shipping times are very predictable. If Hobbico chooses to use a few different brands to deliver online products, so be it. They're way better than places like Raidentech and their assorted fronts, who do nothing other than resell cheap junk from China and provide nearly no customer service, or GSP who routinely overcharges people for shipping even though their web site implies that they only charge the actual cost. I think the reason Tower has been so successful is because they know how to deliver good service, and prices, to their customers.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:37 PM
alan turner

I would like to add my two cents worth as a footnote to this discussion, as a foreign purchaser, (Australia) it is becoming increasingly more difficult to deal with Tower and I have been a customer now for over 30 years, because of their freight systems and pricing, any discount one gets is taken up by the exorbitant cost of postage, I received one single prop the other day in a carton more suited to packaging an elephant, and of course the cost of postage for the prop was more than the price of the prop, I have complained to them to no avail, seems they need to put their great service policies in place at the despatch area, they should take a look at Hobby King for a much better set up with postage costs and systems... sorry for the whinging.... Alan
Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alan : That's funny because just last week I received a transmitter battery in a box about, 11x 11 x 5 . They sure must have some dillies working in shipping. You would think they would try to save us or them a dime or 2 in this area. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-21-2013, 08:29 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have wondered about Tower vs Omni as well. As far as I can tell, Omni is just an alias for Tower. I wonder if Omni is a way for them to sidestep some legal or tax issue.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:51 AM
karlik

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Tower-Hobbies

Scroll down and you for each comapany you see

Administrative Contact :
Smith, Tim
Technical Contact :
Miller, Steve

kinda like xheli/nitroplanes/hobbypartz etc.