Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Wing mounted machine guns

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing mounted machine guns

This came up in our flying field discussion this morning (waiting for the fog to clear).

What was the first plane to incorporate wing mounted machine guns? Not the over the top wing installation on WWI fighters, but true in the wing mountings as found on most WWII fighters.

Please indicate source of any information you might have that pins this down, Plane, year, etc.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Wing mounted machine guns

Looking through some of my reference books the earliest one I can find with wing mounted guns was the Northrop A 17 which had 4 .30in Brownings.

The A 17 was originally called the XA 13 and first flew in August 1933. The A 17´s with an upgraded power plant were first delivered in August 1935. I am not sure when they incorporated the in-wing guns though.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

The Curtiss P36 was also one of the first
Old 12-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Gringo Volador

The Curtiss P36 was also one of the first
Sorry, the NorthrupA-17 predates the P36 by 3 or 4 years.

So until we see more, it is in the lead.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:52 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How about this one--don't know if it's first, but it is early. The Curtiss A-3; it was a two seater BIPLANE observation plane converted to an attack variant. Note the paragraph describing the armament, and the date it entered service:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60193.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	377112  
Old 12-28-2005, 09:02 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just another thought--whatever the first plane to have in-the-wing mounted guns was, it probably wasn't a US built plane. Our aircraft development was way behind the other world powers during the '20's and most of the '30's mostly due to the hindsightedness of the Army and Navy powers-that-be in what air power could accomplish (the very thing that Gen. Billy Mitchell was court-martialled for advocating). When it became apparent in the late '30's that war was again on the horizon, and seeing what the Germans were accomplishing during the Spanish Civil War, and their early incursions into Poland and the Eastern European countries, our Generals and Admirals began to see the light, and development of our own planes got put on the " front burner" for development, but we had a lot of catching up to do.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:19 AM
Knight_74

Has been hard to find any reference to a "first" But the earliest US ones are the curtiss A3 and the Douglass XA-2 from 1926