Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Pop ups at RCU?

Old 11-19-2002, 03:40 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop ups at RCU?

I have been getting a gray colored pop up over the past few day's while here at RCU. The message has varied in content, but the contact of desktopleads@yahoo has been the same. No link to click on, but a reminder to email this address. Any others had this problem or just me?
Old 11-19-2002, 03:46 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Default Pop ups at RCU?

Just you, I think
I had something similar a few days back... from some guy's picture that was linked
from a site that required a username/password to reach. If you're getting it from one certain
thread, that could be it. If not, grab a program called "ad aware" off the net, and
scan your system for spyware. You probably picked up something, somewhere.

You can grab ad-aware here

Edit... Wow. I was running version 5.0. 5.83 is now out.
Downloaded the latest, and it found/removed 9 new "bad cookies" I wasn't aware of,
along with an additional two registry entries made without my knowledge. Sweet!
You may find, as I have, that certain websites may require one or more cookies identified by ad-aware.
If that's the case, as in 3 on my machine... you can choose to exclude those from cleanup.
Just lettin ya know!

Chris
Old 11-19-2002, 03:48 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pop ups at RCU?

You must have let something in!

I'm not getting anything. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2002, 04:07 AM
CaptainHook

Default ad adware

Chris,

You da man! Downloaded 5.83 and got rid of 2. Thanks buddy!
Old 11-19-2002, 04:10 AM
C_Watkins

Default Pop ups at RCU?

No problem.
Always like to pass along info on cool programs... especially free ones
Old 11-19-2002, 04:12 AM
CaptainHook

Default Pop ups at RCU?

I hope everyone else gets this. You can also get a good pop up stopper at www.panicware.com for free. Doesn't stop them all but most.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:24 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pop ups at RCU?

RCU NEVER has and NEVER will have popups. Marc hates them also!
Old 11-19-2002, 02:32 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pop ups at RCU?

Thank GOD! I HATE those things!!!
Old 11-19-2002, 02:49 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Default Pop ups at RCU?

I use Popupstopper from Panicware. I havent found a pop up it doesnt stop.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:27 PM
trailingedge
My Feedback: (1)

Default Pop ups at RCU?

Good old Windows security for ya. It's really a shame that the worlds largest software company has so many security flaws. Writing to your registry and being nosey in your cookies, and popups taking you to non requested sites are just a few of the small ones, and you can't always buy some software to fix the problem. I really hope that Macintosh and Linux step up the competition so maybe Microsoft will get off their butts and produce some better code. If you're interested in playing with a more powerful operating system for free check out www.redhat.com and download Redhat 8.0 linux. It's a learning curve so you might think about putting it on a different comp until you get used to it. AAAAHHHHHHH had to get that off my chest this morning *stepping off soap box*.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:37 PM
C_Watkins

Default Pop ups at RCU?

I'm with ya... only, more and more, people who write websites
make it so that MSIE is the only way to get the most out of the site.
I use several sites which can't be displayed at all without it
(Not RCU, though some of the conveniences don't work without MSIE)

Windoze only makes up 1/6 of my home network though. I don't feel too bad
Old 11-19-2002, 04:03 PM
lnorris

Default Pop ups at RCU?

Hmm, pop-ups? viruses? worms? computer lock-ups? Constant need to buy software to make your system secure/fuctional? Convicted criminal organization? :stupid: And you guys complain about Great Plains and Horizon...

What will it take to get people to change.... Redhat 8 is so easy to use it makes me feel dirty. My wife and 4 yr old daughter use it. At least get a Mac..

Oh, and the people who write sites to only run on MSIE are jokes. That is just pure laziness and stupidity. Going to have to actually learn how to code them properly when AOL switches to Gecko.

<evil laugh>

I'm just waiting for the "Real Flight G2 for Linux" announcment...
Old 11-19-2002, 04:25 PM
Unstable

Default Pop ups at RCU?

some programs to look for if you are getting popups are

anything by gator.com (they make a calender program, a "password" storing program (scary to let someone with so little regard for your pivace store your passwords), and other stupid things.)

comet cursor (or related products)

kazza has been known to have spyware (tracking software) dont know about popup programs.

there is also "delayed" popups that dont show up until a certain time AFTER you leave the site. these are annoying too as they can come from 2 or 3 sites "back".

I think we should outlaw popups, popunders, and other stupid ads and shoot those responsible. its my computer and if I wanted to run another copy of IE/netscape/whatever then I will double click on it. someone should not be allowed to take even that much control of my machine.

ok rant == off
Old 11-19-2002, 04:53 PM
trailingedge

Default Pop ups at RCU?

<evil empire>Microsoft</evil empire>

Hey lnorris how do you like RedHat 8 so far? I just got a chance to download the CD images and have been on 7.3 for a while. I keep hearing that it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:12 PM
TexasAirMedic
My Feedback: (2)

Default Pop ups at RCU?

thanx too .. I just dowloaded and ran it .. a BUNCH of stuff that it found and removed ! .. TNT
Old 11-19-2002, 05:17 PM
C_Watkins

Default Pop ups at RCU?

Originally posted by lnorris
I'm just waiting for the "Real Flight G2 for Linux" announcment...
The sad thing is... the software companies are just as bad as the webmeisters...
They use proprietary M$ libraries and such... because they're there, and they're the de facto
standard. Now, if you're proficient with WINE, and don't have any moral issues with copying over the
needed bits from M$... you can run just about anything on Linux, right now

Microsoft doesn't want to "give" anything to the open community, and they ensure that the
"outside Windoze" licensing costs are far greater than anyone wants to risk on an unknown return.
(For those things they *will* license in the first place. There are many things they *won't*)

As such, the only way we're gonna see a lot of the popular games/programs on linux is for those
companies to start paying people to port the source code to linux. A few have tried already.

I beta-tested Tribes2 for Linux, for Loki Games, and hoped that the trend was in motion and would
continue. Instead, it turned out "not-so-hot" in the sales arena, and was never even put in stores.
Being for sale "off the website only" sure didn't help sales any. Loki ended up in Chapter 11, then Chapter 7
They did get a handful of games out over three or four years... but apparently the money just wasn't there.
There are simply not enough of us *nix geeks, just yet.

It's not really profitable, when you think about it. A porting company has to purchase the rights
from the company, spend lots of time porting, then RE-porting every time there's a bugfix in the original.
Then, they have to compete for sales with the original, on top of everything else. Sheesh.

I keep hoping it's gonna get better, but I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel yet.

It would take a miracle...
like one of the larger companies suddenly boycotting Mickey$oft, and writing/releasing exclusively on linux.
That's an option, I'm afraid, that will never make it past the bean counters of any big company.
I'm crossing my fingers, but I ain't holdin' my breath.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:17 PM
lnorris

Default Redhat 8.0

I like it. Gnome 2.0 is sweet. BUT, there are a few library issues with some of the older stuff so if you compile some of your software, you might have some issues with software with weird includes.

The biggest thing I've noticed is Nautilus is much faster. In general though it's the best dot 0 release I've seen. I wasn't going to install it because it was a .0 release but my machine locked up when my hard drive gave up the ghost. But I'm glad i did now.

You KNOW 8.2 will be perfect though..

BTW, I've thought about trying to get G2 working under WineX. Probably not enough interest to get Transgaming to work on it but...

I played Tribes 2 for awhile and just didn't like it much. I'm still waiting for the Neverwinter Nights release. I think the killer app will be AOL for Linux or the AOL OS (which will be Linux).

BTW, do you all know you can get a $199 computer from Walmart with Linux (Mandrake or Lindows) pre-installed?
Old 11-19-2002, 06:11 PM
C_Watkins

Default Pop ups at RCU?

I played Tribes1 in competition ladder play for awhile. We were all excited about T2,
but it turned into "one man's vision" (the coding team lead's), and wasn't enough like T1
for me to get into it nearly as much as the first one. That, and so many bugs!
Top teams dropped from the ladders left and right, after just a few months of it.

RE: Redhat 8.0... yeah, it's ok. There's a copy or two around the workplace.
I'm not so big on upgrading without "need" though... so I've still got 7.2 doing all my
routing/NAT/webserver/ircd/ftpd here at home... and I don't run the gui anyhow
I tend to have monitors hooked up to my *nix boxen just long enough to set them up.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:05 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Default Pop ups at RCU?

I think I'm getting these windows too. The gray window with some ad in it. Its always from some place different. I asked our admin people at work what to do and they led me to ad-aware and pop-up stopper also. Pop-up stopper didnt work on our clubs web site which is on geocities. I wish the club would just pay for web space. I still get those damn annoying window ads. I'm about ready to reimage the system. This is my work system I use at home. I even have a linksys firewall. Dont think I'll be visiting any of those (look at my web sites any more to check out projects). I'm sure thats where I got, just dont know which one.
Edwin
Old 11-20-2002, 10:23 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default Pop ups at RCU?

I tried one of those free programs and I think it was called Smasher and man did it ever screw up the machine, really gun shy about trying another one. I also get them and I am about ready to take my .41 Mag to the monitor, just can't afford another monitor!!!!!
Old 11-20-2002, 10:34 PM
lnorris

Default Pop ups at RCU?

Why don't you just use a browser that has good security and has it selectable to turn off pop-ups. Running software that tries to plug security holes is a poor fix.

Mozilla (developmental Netscape) has this feature. I've never used it under Windows but it works great under Linux.

Windows:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/r...-installer.exe

Mac:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/r...X-1.2b.smi.bin

Linux:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/r....2b-sea.tar.gz

Just want a fast, secure browser and don't need the email and newsgroups reader? Download Phoenix which is just the browser code from Mozilla.

Windows:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/phoenix/r...-0.4-win32.zip

Linux:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/phoenix/r...nux-gnu.tar.gz

Note that these are developmental releases but they are generally considered more stable than any version of IE.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:58 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Default Pop ups at RCU?

I have been getting some pop-ups also. I close the page before they load so I don't know who they are from. If I get another, I'll let it open so I can complain to Eric.

They started popping up yesterday and they don't do it everytime I visit the site. I don't think something sneaked onto my computer as my Norton Internet Security is pretty tight.

Weird.

Don
Old 11-21-2002, 03:06 AM
CaptainHook

Default Art

I am running XP on my system and the Ad-aware program has had no effect on the performance. I am totally happy with it but can't say how well it may work with other operating systems. It did allow me to find out who is doing the spying. My wife was on the Hersheykitchen.com and they are the ones who have been setting me up. No more looking up cookie recipes from there and I plan on calling them to complain about my invasion of privacy. BTW, I knew that RCU wasn't behind the pop up and Marc is doing a fine job at keeping this place my personal favorite.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:53 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default Pop ups at RCU?

Chook:
I can't upgrade to XP quite yet because if I do my scanner becomes a paper weight as there's no driver in the program, sneaky way for PlusTek to get you to buy a new one. My 'puter guy is looking for a driver as he's in the same boat as I am. Now until then I have to be satisfied with this $%&^&**%^ Me by Micro$uck!!!!!
Old 11-21-2002, 09:12 PM
gubbs3

Default Pop ups at RCU?

The real reason people throw computers out of office building windows is because their computer locked up due to pop-ups!

When I was at RC Online, I nearly put my fist through the monitor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.