The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Fun Fly ideas

Old 11-19-2002, 03:58 PM
FlyingZee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fun Fly ideas

Our club is thinking of having a Trainer-only Fun-Fly. We are looking for some good ideas that don't necessarily cause one to risk their plane. The idea is to get the fair-newbies to feel competative.

Some idea that have been thrown in thus far are:

Dead stick spot landing-cut the engine over the center of the landing area at about 50 feet or higher and try to stop your plane on a specific spot. Closest wins.

Maintain inverted flight for the longest time. With a fair newbie and a flat bottom wing and high dihedral, this can be difficult.

Bomb drop. Fix a cup on top of the plane with a rice bag in it (paper cup with sticks on the bottom stuck in the rubber bands works well). You have to roll the plane over a target painted on the ground. You could also do this with a loop instead of a roll for another event.

Any other ideas like this out there?

Zee
Old 11-19-2002, 05:27 PM
Bob Parker
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default fun fly

We do one with 4 coffie cans painted different colors with matching clothes pins and a carpenters apron. It`s a timed event, the pilot takes off gets alituide does a loop drops a pin in the matching can. Does the same for all four than lands fastest time wins, good for a beginner.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:42 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fun Fly ideas

how about the most touch and go's a person can do in a specified amount of time....
Old 11-19-2002, 07:45 PM
Crashem

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fun Fly ideas

How about Balloon breaking and or RC Limbo?
Old 11-19-2002, 07:50 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fun Fly ideas

Guaranteed to get the juices flowing and cause uncontrolled laughter.

Two cones stage center in the middle of the runway about a hundred feet apart, line abreast start, no wings allowed and 10 laps to the finish. You can count on some broken props and thats about it except possibly for some brused ego's.

John
Old 11-19-2002, 08:45 PM
CP140

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fun Fly ideas

Each person gets 20 seconds from wheels off the ground to climb as high as possible, throttle to idle. Start timer running. Longest time until wheels touch OR throttle increased (lets you rescue plane if need to) wins.

Paint lines across runway to divide into sections. Mark sections 5, 10, 15, 0. Make 2 touch'n'goes and 1 landing. Where wheels touch first=points for that pass. Most points wins.

Place styrofoam cup on plane with washer wrapped in streamer. Make pass, "drop" washer on runway. Same lines as above for scoring. Land, repeat. Best score wins. You don't have to roll or anything to drop... just pull up, push down(washer flies out), pull up and go around to land.

Place traffic cones in a large triangle (say 100 feet each side). Place pilot off to one side. Plane(with wings) must go to each pylon, circle once (designate direction..clockwise or counterclockwise... same for all pylons same for all pilots). Best time for one lap wins.Must stay on ground or go back to point of "take-off" and resume from that point...clock running all the time.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:29 AM
ctdahle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fun Fly ideas

I know you guys all hate the AMA, but if you look in the AMA rule book, there are a couple of really cool competition funfly events listed that work great for trainers.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:02 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Fun Fly ideas

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FlyingZee
[B]Our club is thinking of having a Trainer-only Fun-Fly. We are looking for some good ideas that don't necessarily cause one to risk their plane. The idea is to get the fair-newbies to feel competative.

//SNIP//

Bomb drop. Fix a cup on top of the plane with a rice bag in it (paper cup with sticks on the bottom stuck in the rubber bands works well). You have to roll the plane over a target painted on the ground. You could also do this with a loop instead of a roll for another event.

Any other ideas like this out there?

Zee

Good ideas already, and someone already said to refer to the AMA rule book which has a number of events and ideas in the back.

Here are a couple that are close to some already mentioned, but do well for those lesser experienced pilots.

Use a foam or paper cup. Just run a 3/16-1/4 dowel through at the bottom. Use a rubberband to hold it in place.
Place a dozen or so dried beans in the cup. Pilot makes a take-off, comes around and lands to full stop. Count the beans. For ties use progressive fly-offs. Whar' dem beans go, I dunno, but days do goes!!!

Another good event that does not jepordize machines is timed flight and glide.
Time starts at first movement of model. After 30 seconds, power to idle (no loss of model that way) then glides down to land in circle (square etc. painted on runway). Target time is 60 seconds to touchdown.
Substract 2 points per second over/under.
Bonus points for touchdown in circle or circles, and 5 point bonus for full stop with engine running. Foul if throttle used during glide.

Look at the AMA Task events and tailor them to what you want, and for how much work you are willing to do in preparing the facility and make score sheets. The choices are almost unlimited.

I use a couple self-dreamed up events that are for multiple airplanes. These really get the fun going.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:57 PM
Killer_Matt
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fun Fly ideas

A freind and I ran an event this fall here is what we did.

TWO MINUTE TOUCH 'N' GO
Up to four pilots could be in the air, but only one will compete at a time.
1) The aircraft engine is running, preflight is complete, ready for takeoff.
2) At the pilotís signal, a timer is started. Now the pilot performs as many touch and go maneuvers as possible in two minutes.
3) The plane must make a complete 360 between each touchdown.
4) The score is the number of successful landings, multiplied by 10.
5) Two wheels must be in contact with the ground at the same time.
6) You are not required to stop the plane.

LIMBO LUNACY
1) Set limbo streamer at 10'
2) The aircraft is flying the pilotís signals ready and time begins when the plane passes over or under the line.
3) From that time the pilot has two minutes to make as many passes beneath the crepe paper limbo wire as possible.
4) The score is the number of successful limboís, multiplied by 10.
5) Cut streamer, touch wheels, or hit the pole and time ends.

DEAD-STICK LANDING (well almost)
1) The aircraft is flying 100 feet high over the center of the runway, the pilotís signals ready and time begins when pilot cuts the throttle to idle.
2) The pilot now has up to three minutes to get his best score. Only one score counts.
3) The plane must remain at idle until the plane glides, lands, rolls, stops, and a measurement is taken. If the throttle does not remain at idle the attempt is aborted. If the aircraft is still moving at the end of three minutes, the score is 0.
4) If time remains, the pilot can take off and try again. When the pilot reaches approximately 100 feet over the center of the runway. (the pilot will be advised when to go to idle).
5) The distance , to the nearest foot, subtracted from 100, equals your score. The maximum score is 100 the minimum score is 0
6) Pilots who are able to punch a hole through the plate with the prop nut will receive 100 extra points, for a total of 200.

Note: the Limbo was a little dangerous ( I hit the support pole on my first try, I won't do that again).

killer_matt
Old 11-20-2002, 02:05 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fun Fly ideas

Here are a few ideas that have worked similarly for us.
Pair up a newbie with an experienced flyer and fly as teams. average scores for winning.
Keeps the newbies competetive and no matter how good one person is he will be canceled by the other somewhat.
Spot landing on paper plates are great, but you can also spot land on where your partner landed. newbs go first, quite often there landing may be 40-50 ft away from position and can be quite dificult to land in an exact spot that far away.
Takeoff do 3 rolls 3 loops and land for averaged time.
The bean cup loop as above is great.
cutting ballons teathered on thin crepe paper streamers is great if the weather is calm
take off- see how many loops you can do in 30 sec's
The main thing is keep it moving, if more than 6 people compete thaey can get bored in between rounds.
Keep the FF going constantly and keep the events short so people get more opportunities to fly