Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

coroplast question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 04:59 AM
MARS ENFIELD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coroplast question

WHAT TYPE OF GLUE DO YOU USE ON COROPLAST
TO BOND PLYWOOD TO CORO,CORO TO CORO I AM INTERESTED
IN USING SOME OF THIS MATERIAL TO BUILD A LARGE WING I WANT TOO USE IT AS A WING SKIN AGAINST FOAM CAN THAT BE DONE EITHER HELP THANK YOU GUS VERY MUCH I REALLY ENJOY RC UNIVERSE
Old 11-20-2002, 05:04 AM
vegas mossie

Go to www.spadtothebone.com they will have all the info you need.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:41 PM
pinball-RCU

For a really strong bond, you can use medium CA (don't use a lot because it cures slowly on the plastic), but you need to prepare the coro, either by "flashing" (hitting it briefly with a propane torch), or by priming with a product made for that purpose. If you don't need a bond stronger than the material, you'll find lots of suggestions at spad.org using a variety of methods. No matter what you do, be sure to test on scraps before commiting your aircraft to it.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:01 PM
jlouden
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also recommend contact cement. Try all the different methods presented and then stick with what works for you.

John
Old 11-21-2002, 03:00 AM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Default Glue

Hey guy........The best thing to use on Coroplast is Gorilla glue. It will glue anything to anything. Just be sure not to use too much, as it will expand about 4 times it's original size. If using Coroplast lets say on a foam core wing, apply a VERY thin film of Gorilla glue on the Coroplast, & wet with water the foam. Clamp or press together for a couple of hours, & you couldn't pull it apart with a crowbar! This glue is unbelievable! No fumes either! Do a couple of test pieces to see what I mean. Try it! You'll like it! (Very light too) Barry
[email protected]
Old 11-21-2002, 06:28 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Also I sand the coro with some 200 grit sandpaper then clean with rubbing alcahol so the glue whichever you use will have a surface to grab onto.

Dauntae
Old 11-21-2002, 05:58 PM
strato911

I'm just designing my first craft with coroplast, and this is what I found works with my test pieces:

First: I rub down the area to be glued with Acetone, and let it dry (5-10 seconds).

Second: I apply small drops of medium CA to one surface, then apply the other surface to it and apply pressure for 5-10 minutes (it cures slow when gluing coro - coro). If gluing wood to coroplast, apply the CA to the coroplast first.

On my test pieces, one drop spread over a 2 square inch surface could not be torn apart without ripping the plastic.

If I want to "build-up" the glue joint, I use small amounts of baking soda at a time. Baking soda acts as an accellerant for CA, and allows it to fill larger gaps as well. Just be careful not to use to much at once, and have LOTS of ventillation. It works best if the CA is applied first, then the baking soda.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:01 AM
MARS ENFIELD

thanks guys i learned a bunch