Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Winter? Snow? Skis?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 12:49 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter? Snow? Skis?!

Well, If you live in the NorthEast / Southern Quebec/ Eastern Ontario, You know we all got a bit of the white fluffy stuff...

Did it bring back the memories of winter flying? have you started to change wheels for skis?

Do we all have a favorite Winter flyer? Flying technique? Do we buy or make our own skis? When is it too cold! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

just to start a conversation of winter flying and winter.. in general!
Old 11-19-2002, 01:00 PM
bychow

I have had a lot of fun in the snow with DU-BRO Snow Skis. They also just came out with Park Flyer Snow Skis. I would recommend them to anyone

Go to www.dubro.com to find them.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:29 PM
00hex

I made aluminum skis for my Duraplane once. They matched nicely (it has an aluminum tail boom and aluminum landing gear). I used pieces of music wire as springs to keep them at the proper angle.
I should have used thicker aluminum - they folded up every few landings. It was easy to fix though - just had to take them off and flatten them with a hammer, then curve the ends up slightly.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:04 PM
FHHuber
Banned

I've used home-made skis.

Possibly a ski design and/or mounting error, but they added a LOT of drag compared to the wheels they replaced, and requred significant up trim correction. Normal loops were nearly impossible, outside loops were easy though.

Might be a long time before I try skis again... I've moved away from the snow.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:53 AM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

We flew one New Year's day at Cold Lake , Alberta, Canada. It was -42 degrees (F). I'd have to say that was too cold. We put small pocket hand warmers on the receiver to stop the electronics from freezing up but still just got short flights. I don't think I'll ever do that again.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:14 PM
Roodester

I tried home made skiis last winter on an Eagle 2 and wiped it out. What I did was construct the skiis with a wood block as a mount for the landing gear. In order to keep the skiis from rotating, I used music wire inserted in the wood block and extending back towards the rear of the ski. Then I bent the wire about 270 degrees angling it back up to the landing gear and clamped it there. I thought it would hold but the music wire twised and the ski shifted upright. With all that drag the plane hit the ground instantly.

After studying a set of purchased skiis I noticed that the music wire that extends back to the rear of the ski has to be secured to the ski at that point as well. In other words, using the music wire technique, the wire must be secured to the ski in two places (at the hub and at the tail) otherwise it will twist on inself. I'm doing that with the skiis now as I'm rebuilding my Eagle 2.

I hope my analysis of the problem is correct. The skiis seem to be more secure the way I've fixed them up. I also plan to secure the ski tip and tail to the wing with rubber bands just to be safe.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Roodester