The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Crow Aviation Panther

Old 11-21-2002, 04:26 AM
Smiley Jack
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Crow Aviation Panther

I am about ready to test fly a Crow Aviation Panther. Any info on the "wing fold" or any other bits of info that would help me keep the airplane together would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:46 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For what it's worth, I saw both of those Panthers go it down at TG a couple of years ago. The first one just beaned a cell phone antenna, pilot error!
The second, more famous one, that had the wing fold in flight and hit a house, well, I talked to Jess Harper, the builder, and looked at all the wreckage in detail, including the wing-fold mechanism. He said the problem was as simple as he did not tighten down the locking bolt properly. I think the consensus was:
1. Add another set of locking bolts just for safety.
2. The wings were only really meant to be folded at the END of a flight, not at the beginning, so they can be checked that they are locked properly before takeoff.
That's all I know, and that's a spectator's perspective, not an owner's perspective. The thing sure was beautiful in the air, and I do not think there were any other issues in the kit. Good luck, it's a neat, neat airplane.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:06 AM
Smiley Jack
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

EasyTiger.... thanx a bunch for the info. I was already aware of the info you gave me. it confirmed what I had heard from Lewis Patton, I appreciate you taking the time and effort to respond to my question with an intelligent answer..... unlike the answer I had from another reply. Hopefully i will be able to post successful flight pics. I do hope to be able to get it in the air by the end of the year.

I am starting on a Fiber Classics MIG 29 after the Panther is finished. If you hear of any further info concerning the Panther or the Mig 29 I would appreiciate you posting it to me. Thanx again...