Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Covering Iron

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:09 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Covering Iron

I smoked up two "hobby" style irons in a month, so I went and picked up a black and decker one at walmart. click on the link to see the pics.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2507199/anchors_3776739/mpage_11/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3776739[/link]
Old 01-15-2006, 09:28 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Covering Iron

mrbigg,
As long as the iron can reach the temperatures needed by your covering (275° for monokote) the iron will work for you. The first covering job I did I used a travel iron to apply the covering. But you may find that this iron is rather large to do some of the delicate work needed for a good covering job. When I'm covering it seems that I use my small trim iron almost as much as I do the regular size iron. I do wonder though why you have "smoked" two iron in a month. I've been building models for 9 years now and have only had I iron that burned up in that time, and that was because I accidentally set it too high. What temperature have you been setting the iron at? A tool that I have found invaluable has been this pocket thermometer. It will show you that have the iron at the proper temperature for the covering you use. I have found that my covering jobs have gotten better since I started using it, because I always used to have my iron temps too high.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 01-15-2006, 07:56 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Covering Iron

the iron set on "4.25" works perfectly for Monokote. I've only used a trim iron a couple of times. To me, they are about useless and a pain in the rear- less tools the better. If one iron can do it all the better. Check out all the corners on this piece in the pic. No trim iron was used.
My first iron was pretty old and the second was given to me and was pretty old to start with. I don't use a thermometer as I set my iron cold at first and then slowly increase the temp until it's set just right. Both of them irons just quit heating up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24469.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	388402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31871.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	388403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65085.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	34.0 KB