Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

The Outlaws and the Independents

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The Outlaws and the Independents

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Outlaws and the Independents

I know of a couple of clubs down South of me who are in close proximity..one club flys odd channels, the other even...they gitalong just fine...grownup style....swimmin' pools...movie stars...
And I always took "outlaw flyer" as a term of endearment, too.
Sure, I would ask permission when I could...Danny Beaudin ..(RIP 2001) and I would frequent the industrial parks...had thebest time dodging buildings...etc.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:06 AM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: Mike Bogh

I know of a couple of clubs down South of me who are in close proximity..one club flys odd channels, the other even...they gitalong just fine...grownup style....swimmin' pools...movie stars...
And I always took "outlaw flyer" as a term of endearment, too.
Sure, I would ask permission when I could...Danny Beaudin ..(RIP 2001) and I would frequent the industrial parks...had thebest time dodging buildings...etc.
Now that's what I'm talkin' bout!
Old 02-23-2006, 09:30 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So would this mean that any group of flyers could cause a AMA Chartered Club to loose status due to no frequency control if the (outlaw) pilots decided to set up shop across the fence from the club field-I hope their would be a way to stop this in case the (outlaw) pilots did not want to come to a solution on freq control-the club would not survive if there is not a way to stop this.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Live Wire

How do you get out of control when there is none[] When there is no set rule who can enforce them, and who has the right to inforce them my god what next, do we all turn to well what will we turn to . Maybe another hobby GOLF
Old 02-24-2006, 07:18 AM
jettstarblue

Jim,

It is the nature of the "Outlaw" or "Indy" to fly away from others, not get a "gang" together and set up shop right next to an established club. We are not a bunch of badazzes looking for problems, in fact that's why we don't join the AMA or any established club.

We usually fly in semi seclued areas, well away from a "club".

What a lot of folks seem to overlook, or forget is, the Outlaw/Indy has just as much of a chance of getting "shot down" while flying as any AMA person.

Think about that one for a minute.....one Indy, one frequency, many clubbers, many freqencies- thus it is disfavorable odds for the "outlaw/indy".

Yeah Larry, maybe some should take up golf or other hobby so they can't be "hasseled" by the other folks in it....ever watch grown men "play" softball?
Old 02-24-2006, 08:44 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Well Larry I must be missing something-The point I am making about any type of control would be the radio impound or channel pin board or whatever a club does to keep from shooting each other down-and the idea that if a group of pilots started flying in the lot next door with no regards to freq control between the two areas. There is something I have seen about freq control and fields that have AMA coverage for liability. I am sure there is someone in this forum that knows the rules better than I. But I would hope that a club would have a way to stop this for the sake of keeping what they have worked for on the other hand it would be easy for individuals that had a problem with a club or clubs in general to loose their status with AMA. I fly in two established clubs as well as the OUTLAW dead end street because of convience and the crowd is a little more colorful.-and we have no other rc fields close to that location-but if we did I would sure figure out some sort of solution or not fly there because I have no desire to loose my plane either-thanks
Old 02-24-2006, 09:34 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Jetts,
Is there a local club in your area?
Old 02-25-2006, 01:27 AM
AgCat1982

that if a group of pilots started flying in the lot next door with no regards to freq control between the two areas.
That is the second time you have said that. Do you not understand that it is NOT their intention to EVER set up like that? If you have seen anyone do that I don't believe it is this group. They keep saying that is not what they are about. What is your point to keep saying it is?
Old 02-25-2006, 07:59 AM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Jetts,
Is there a local club in your area?
Yes, three, if you consider them "in my area"...one is 11.55 miles away, one is 17.34, the third is 25.41

I'm not sure if the one that is 11+ is an Indy club, AMA club or just a bunch of guys flying.....
Old 02-25-2006, 08:05 AM
jettstarblue

B.B., I know not all of us "Outlaws" check first (mostly because they have no idea where or how to check) but I did check the AMA list before I started flying in my new location.

I also knew that there was no AMA clubs near where I lived before.....I was run off by all of them.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

...AMA is a joke rip offs... muncie is nice..but the restrictions on flying there as in the # of times you can in a given year is a joke remind you WE PAY FOR IT.... ill be an outlaw soon
Old 02-25-2006, 09:45 AM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: jettstarblue

B.B., I know not all of us "Outlaws" check first (mostly because they have no idea where or how to check) but I did check the AMA list before I started flying in my new location.

I also knew that there was no AMA clubs near where I lived before.....I was run off by all of them.
What do you mean you were "run off'? Have you visited the clubs near you, what are they like?
Old 02-25-2006, 02:16 PM
jettstarblue

In a word, or for lack of a better term "snobbish".

I have no desire to visit the other two clubs near me as the visits to the three previous clubs (one here and two at my last residence) were all the same, I was not really welcomed and in fact was made to feel like I was an interloper. I had to pry everything out of them. I waited until they weren't flying, so it wasn't because I was trying to "bug" them while they were flying. One was downright rude and would only tell me "how much it cost" to fly a plane and join there (AMA) club. They ASSUMED, I was just the local P.I.T.A. and didn't know I'd already taught myself to fly and had been at it awhile.

Yes, In the beginning, I had flown a small electric sail plane. Once I got wind of the "AMA" I asked them what I had to do to join, and that's when the calculator came out.
It wasn't- "Oh hey, we'll show you the ropes, let you give it a shot with our help and check your equipment, then we'll talk about flying." (WHICH IS WHAT I PERSONALLY DO WHEN SOMEONE ASKS ME ABOUT THE HOBBY.) It was "Well you first got to go to the HS and buy a good plane, then you got to pay us a membership fee, then you got to pay your AMA fees, then you got to pay your club dues, then we see if you are allowed to fly under the guidance of one of our instructors if he wants to make time."

I decided to go it on my own, but I did check out a few other places, to no avail.

OUTLAW FOREVER!

Old 02-25-2006, 02:17 PM
jettstarblue

Next question......
Old 02-25-2006, 03:08 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Every club, or flying site has its own "personality." I know nothing about the clubs in your area, but it has been my experience that sometimes we assume someone is a snob when in fact they just are not skilled at striking up a friendly conversation with a stranger. I'm a bit quirky myself and I am sure others have come away from their first meeting with me with the same opinion you got from your local club members. Show up a few times and give the "snob" an opportunity and you may be surprised at how wrong first impressions can be.

There is nothing wrong with not joining a club. For most of my RC career I flew at "outlaw" fields, but I think it is unrealistic to expect the club members to invest any more effort into making friends than you are.

In a word, or for lack of a better term "snobbish".

I have no desire to visit the other two clubs near me as the visits to the three previous clubs (one here and two at my last residence) were all the same, I was not really welcomed and in fact was made to feel like I was an interloper. I had to pry everything out of them.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:51 PM
AgCat1982

I disagree. It is their attitude (not just one person, of course) that will signal whether or not they are interested in new members. I will not make a nuisance of myself. The ball in is their park and I don't want to be a member where being friendly is not the norm.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:23 PM
jettstarblue

Dep, I tried to strike up a conversation and they acted like I was asking them for money on the street corner or something. I even hung out, watched them fly and when they took another break, I tried to compliment them and talk some more.

They "blew me off" at the one club and as I said, one of the clubs were downright rude. I usually give people a chance or two, but I wasn't going to be a pest and hang where I was clearly not wanted.

Maybe I'll go bug them some this year and see if it's different.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:49 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

They "blew me off" at the one club and as I said, one of the clubs were downright rude. I usually give people a chance or two, but I wasn't going to be a pest and hang where I was clearly not wanted.
WAIT!!! aren't you the same guy that decided all of the jet guys at the Ashtabula rally were snotty as well?

I think I see a pattern here!

Question...what would it take for a club to not seen "snobbish" or stand offish to you? How would they have to welcome you?
Old 02-25-2006, 08:24 PM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

WAIT!!! aren't you the same guy that decided all of the jet guys at the Ashtabula rally were snotty as well?

Question...what would it take for a club to not seen "snobbish" or stand offish to you? How would they have to welcome you?
They were. I've been waiting for you.....

I would expect them to at least return conversation and eye contact. I wouldn't want a welcoming commitee, but a little common courtesy would be nice, which I didn't receive at the jet ralley either........and as was implied at the time by you and your buddies, I was not acting barbaric or out of line at the jet ralley. I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. If you were there and in my shoes, you wouldn't hassle me on that long dead subject, but if you want to start....

I would expect them to treat me as I treat others who come over to see what's going on when we're flying- with common decency.

Not the answer you wanted?
Old 02-25-2006, 10:38 PM
BasinBum

There are two side to every story and while I'm sure you believe what you are telling us I also see a pattern in the receptions you receive on a regular basis. I'm am confident I can go to just about any RC club and strike up a friendly conversation. I have visited other clubs and always find common ground. I have made friends with some of the biggest jerks out at the Basin which Matt can attest to (Matt isn't one of the biggest jerks, only moderately so). It takes two to tango and the way you approach strangers has a lot to do with how they react to you. If you think they are going to be snobs then your prophecy is probably self fulfilling. It also makes your "Indy" scenario that much more justified.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:02 AM
jettstarblue

There are two side to every story and while I'm sure you believe what you are telling us I also see a pattern in the receptions you receive on a regular basis. Now you're just talking crap-"receptions I recieve on a regular basis"? You mean a couple of visits to clubs a few years ago, and one bunch of rudys at one jet ralley constitute a "regular basis"? Please. I failed to mention the several dozen other people I've met in the hobby who were real nice and didn't act like these select few.....but then we weren't talking about the nice people were we? I've taught a few people to fly based on the fact that they were pretty much turned away as well and didn't know where else to go, so I taught them.(their words not mine)I'm am confident I can go to just about any RC club and strike up a friendly conversation. You should be confident in that statement being that you will never go to the clubs that I have been to.
Why is it everytime you come onto a thread, you always want to make assumptions based on your own opinions and not fact, it discredits you.

Sorry B.B. you are not going to get me going today......have a sunny one.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 AM
jettstarblue

Also B.B., and Mr. Matt, if you do just a little digging, you can read dozens of accounts of rudeness, snobbery and general offensive behaviour pertaining to clubs and outsiders....it's all over the Universe. Just try checking around other threads and you will find it. Go to "How did you learn to fly?" for starters. There are others, but you can find them without me pointing them out to you....if you dare to look and find that I am not the only one who has come across clubs with less than a welcoming attitude. Look at your buddy Hossfly's thread about "Too rediculous"....that's a perfect example of the type of "leader" at a lot of (but not all) clubs.

I rest my case-

LONG LIVE THE OUTLAW!
Old 02-26-2006, 11:32 AM
BasinBum

Have you ever gone to a club field and had a good experience?
Old 02-26-2006, 02:23 PM
rc_curious
Banned

Also B.B., and Mr. Matt, if you do just a little digging, you can read dozens of accounts of rudeness, snobbery and general offensive behaviour pertaining to clubs and outsiders....it's all over the Universe. Just try checking around other threads and you will find it. Go to "How did you learn to fly?" for starters. There are others, but you can find them without me pointing them out to you....if you dare to look and find that I am not the only one who has come across clubs with less than a welcoming attitude. Look at your buddy Hossfly's thread about "Too rediculous"....that's a perfect example of the type of "leader" at a lot of (but not all) clubs.

I rest my case-

LONG LIVE THE OUTLAW!
Just curious, is the person described by Horsefly in that thread typical of independents?
Old 02-26-2006, 04:19 PM
jettstarblue

Have you ever gone to a club field and had a good experience?

Yes, B.B. I have. Surprised? This ought to kill you....I'd like to give "props" to the Thompson, Ohio "propbusters"......good bunch there and there is a field on the North side of RT.20 in Madison/Perry, I believe, a good field, taken care of by a landscaping co. with high tension wires and a difficulty level of "a little more than average".

Does that make you sad (er)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.