Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

The Outlaws and the Independents

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The Outlaws and the Independents

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 04:27 PM
jettstarblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Outlaws and the Independents

ORIGINAL: rc_curious

Just curious, is the person described by Horsefly in that thread typical of independents?

No, well not "typical". Most Indy's learn to fly on their own, maybe after having a bad experience with a club or "CP" but most (in my experience) don't go to a parking lot in the middle of a crowded area to fly.

Some, like myself, build their own field and runway and fly there. Some just find a big empty area to fly. I know of a couple of "Indy" brothers that fly from a township road that has maybe 10 cars a year on it, and they only use it for a runway, they do their flying out over a 100 acre open field....they are two of the best fliers I've seen both were self taught and one flies helis.

rc_curious, are you an "Indy" or a "clubber"? Just curious- if you'll pardon my pun.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:14 PM
formerlyknownasAWB

I have to bring this back to life. i myself am an Independent, and have some questions and coments.

I have recently tried to contact a few of the local fields in NJ(by local I mean within a half hour drive) not one has returned an email or call. The web site is two years out of date, when I go by the field nobody is ever there(that is a good thing to me but sucks when you are trying to join) Not to mention being self-taught and already being an established pilot, having to schedule a time to fly with a memeber to be solo'ed, please. I'll take my chances flying elsewhere.

and

As I read in a earlier post about a gentelman who has an umbrella insurance and is basically covered by his homeowners, still needs to be a member of the AMA to fly at a club? C'mon. What is the real issue, WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE A MEMBER OF THE AMA TO FLY AT A PRIVATE FIELD? what extra insurence do they provide? Seems like a stupid rule to me but they are all the same, Why?

What I look for in a good flying field is a nice secluded area, a smooth runway and not many towering trees. Other than that, its all fair game. I have recently been flying out at the state shotgun range, and a few local blueberry fields.

I wish that the airplane guys would be as welcoming as the RC Truck/cars guys are, I should say as EASY GOING.

If anyone in NJ would like to get together for some flying let me know.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:40 PM
kamakazie frank
My Feedback: (2)

Hey avgwhtboy:

I can think of at least four clubs in your immediate area who welcome all. Try this link to a club which is within 15 minutes of you. They have close to 100 friendly members, a great field and lots of club events going on each month. Of course you do have to belong to AMA.

http://www.wjrc.org/

kf
Old 11-21-2006, 09:13 AM
formerlyknownasAWB

Frank thank you,

I've looked your site over and it seems like a nice setup. I printed out an application and will have to try and make it to one of your meetings.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: avgwhtboy

I have to bring this back to life. i myself am an Independent, and have some questions and coments.
//snip//
As I read in a earlier post about a gentelman who has an umbrella insurance and is basically covered by his homeowners, still needs to be a member of the AMA to fly at a club? C'mon. What is the real issue, WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE A MEMBER OF THE AMA TO FLY AT A PRIVATE FIELD? what extra insurence do they provide? Seems like a stupid rule to me but they are all the same, Why?

What I look for in a good flying field is a nice secluded area, a smooth runway and not many towering trees. Other than that, its all fair game. I have recently been flying out at the state shotgun range, and a few local blueberry fields.

I wish that the airplane guys would be as welcoming as the RC Truck/cars guys are, I should say as EASY GOING.

If anyone in NJ would like to get together for some flying let me know.

Sent you an email referencing http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50...mpage_2/tm.htm post #29.

STUPID RULE yet YOU state what YOU WANT in a PRIVATE Field. Ever consider that those that financed, obtained, maintain and pay the expenses of that field that THEY have, just might also have some WANTS which they think just may not be so stupid.

Check the link and find some darn good reasons they just might have considered BEFORE an "elite" such as you arrived to enlighten them. [:@]

Old 11-21-2006, 04:15 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Some interesting points avgwhtboy, sorry clubs in your area seem to be "slack" about contacting you.

Maybe I can help with a few parts of your questions

ORIGINAL: avgwhtboy

Not to mention being self-taught and already being an established pilot, having to schedule a time to fly with a memeber to be solo'ed, please. I'll take my chances flying elsewhere.
I think you will find that any organized club will require a check flight. Every club I have belonged to has required this, some more stringent than others. They have no idea of an individuals ability unless they see them. At one of my current clubs I am one of several members that are charged with check flights sign-off. I recently had to give a checkflight to a new member to our club when his other club lost their field to development. This particular gentleman is a national competitor in pylon racing, and can fly circles around me any day of the week (pun intended). I told him upfront that I expected he is a much better pilot than I will ever be. He had no problems with needing to do the checkflight and completely understood that the rules apply to every member of the club. It took all of about five minutes and everyone was happy.

It could be that the club is an AMA field for purposes of providing insurance to the landowner. In order for the landowner to be covered the club members must then be AMA members. So, the insurance may not necessarily be for that pilot's benefit, but for that of the landowner, so the club can have a field.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:46 AM
formerlyknownasAWB

thanks P-51,
the club thing is foreign to me so I'm just trying to make sense of some of this.

Hoss,

"BEFORE an "elite" such as you arrived to enlighten them." It wass tough to understand sarcasm on the internet, especially from a "Geezer" such as yourself.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:30 PM
AAvsFan

I've been flying Indy for as long as I can remember. I would love to fly at clubs but paying for it is another story. Anybody know of some fields that are suitable for flying around Northeast Houston area? Thanks...
Old 02-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AAvsFan

I've been flying Indy for as long as I can remember. I would love to fly at clubs but paying for it is another story. Anybody know of some fields that are suitable for flying around Northeast Houston area? Thanks...
There are several fields around the area. I am not aware of any outlaw fields. The main two facilities are Lone Star RC (Fighter Field) owners and paying fliers, and there is a true club; Jetero RC Club, Inc. Fighter Field is on FM 2100 about 2 miles south of FM 1960. If you wish to check it out go for it.

Jetero RC Club, Inc. owns its facility on FM 686 about 1 mile north of 1960 about 5 miles east of 2100. Jetero is a definite private facility and is definitely not free. AMA required before flying, 3 visits max. per year if not a member, $50 initiation fee for new members, and $150.00 per year dues.
Site on 100 acres flat farmland, 30 owned by club, 70 owned by a member. 100 x 600 smooth grass runway. About 4500 sq. ft. metal shelter over concrete. Electrics available throughout. Refrigerators, freezers, kitchen area. Indoor rest facilities. Private well water supply.

If you can't afford the luxury, then don't apply. Members on property nearly all days that weather allows. Trespassers are not respected.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:00 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here in so Calif unless you are flying small electrics its pretty hard to to find a place
to fly unless you go to an AMA site. even the some of the electric guys have a hard
time keeping a place to fly over a year as there is so much land development going on.

I might add if you want to take a 75 mi or so drive it can put you out in the desert but
even then it can be diffcult to find a suitable place to use as a runway.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm depressed.....all that bloviating by Hoss and not one time were we called freeloaders.......This time........ROTFL Anyone is invited to fly with us in Reno. If your going to be in town and you have a plane with you or not drop me a line.