Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Slo Quickie @ Sepulveda Basin

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Slo Quickie @ Sepulveda Basin

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 01:46 PM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slo Quickie @ Sepulveda Basin

Hi Guys, our club is putting together a slo quickie class in Santa Barbara, and have decided to adopt the
SGVCL rules. We will primarily be using Vipers, or anything that conforms to the rules. Question has been which engine. No one is excited about the OS LA.25, or the GMS, and all the other engines listed are either unavailable or hard to get parts for. We are thinking of going to the OS .25fx and are about to commit to a large order of them. We would eventually like to mix it up with other clubs, and would like to get an idea from someone who CD's your events, if the FX's would be allowed. We are leaning towards the FX series, because of the reliability and parts availability. The FX is not on the approved engine list, but our thinking is that since the prop and max.revs are limited, would it matter which engine is used?

Also, the only other engine which is being considered is the Magnum .28 xl.

Can someone give us a definitive answer if either of these two engines would be allowed if we want to race at the Basin or any of the SGVCL events?

Thanks,
Joseph Gardner
Secretary,
Santa Barbara RC Modelers.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:03 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Slo Quickie @ Sepulveda Basin

Someone started a pylon racing program near here. Originally all planes were to be built from the same kit and powered by the same engine. The plan sounded great until someone came up with a same size engine but a bit better performer. Some guys cannot rely solely on pilot skill to make a race interesting. I sailed one design yachts and dinghys for years and the rules were definite and could cost you a race or a series for a violation. The racing rules are almost inernational so no conflict there. Some people just cannot bear the thought of not being first. Changing one design features is the same as cheating in my book.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Montague

If you decide to use the Magnum .28, and you haven't run the smaller Magnum engines before, you might want to talk to folks who have. I've run them in RC Combat for a while, and they are generally pretty good engines, however the carbs have issues and they vibrate. Most of the carb issues are related to the O-rings on the high and low speed needles and them leaking air.

They often run great out of the box, then start to have problems after a few months.

There are several ways to fix them and make them reliable engines, so it's not a huge deal, but if you don't know what's going on, they will drive you nuts.

Fwiw, the Webra .25 is a very powerful but pretty easy to run .25 size engine. I've no idea how it works with your rules though.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:36 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Joe,
You should direct this question to Barry Levangood (bl10) over in the Pylon Racing forum. I don't know why the FX was left off the list when the TT Pro is a bearing engine as well. I can tell you that just about every racer is using the GMS in the Slow Quickie class and to be able to have people participate at all three venues it would be smart to have the same rules and equipment. Mecoa even gives a $20 credit for any old engine when you purchase a GMS and that really makes it attractive.

Richard
Old 03-06-2006, 04:59 PM
bl10

Joe:
Just happened by and saw your post. As far as I’m concerned the OS is fine. If you want I will check with the SGV guys to insure there is no problem. I’m not sure why, other than cost, the OS was left off the list (It may not have been available at the time the list was made up). Actually we really don’t enforce the engine list. I believe there are some OS’s being used. We do, however, enforce the RPM limit per the rules (RPM as flown not pinch), The starter tacks every heat winner. If it over tacks or won’t start for whatever reason a zero is awarded.

Given the “anything” goes fuel rule most any current BB engine will swing a 9/6 a little above the RPM limit. As you noted with a strong engine you just need to back it off a little more. I have two GMS and they both will pinch to about 14K on 30%. I launch them at about 12900 to insure no over tacking at the end of the heat.

Before anyone chimes in with nasty comments about the large prop the reason for it is to keep the modified / high performance engines out of the class. Clearly we are running these engines far below their hp peak thereby frustrating any attempts to use high timed engines.

Between the Valley Flyers, SGVRCL and the Crosswinds we have 6 races scheduled this year. We would love to race with you guys. As BB said I spend more time on the Pylon boards. I enjoy the Basin thread under this topic so I stop by here once in a while.

If you want to know anymore about our little series give me a call.

Barry Leavengood
818 998 4564
Old 03-06-2006, 05:15 PM
bl10

Joe:
We are adding the OS to the Slo-Quickee list.

Barry
Old 03-07-2006, 12:13 AM
garch 22

Barry, thanks for the good answer, that was what we were hoping to hear. Looks like we'll be ordering a case of FX's in the next few days. I take it you ran this by others also, or do you have final say on allowable engines? Some are still interested in running the Magnum .29 xl. Would those be allowed also?

Happy Smoke Trails
Old 03-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a flight of "Oxymorons" if ya ask me!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:04 PM
garch 22

[quote]ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Sounds like a flight of "Oxymorons" if ya ask me!

WE RESEMBLE THAT !