Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Thichness of coroplast

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 05:35 PM
Mike2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thichness of coroplast

I have been thinking of building a coroplast plane which is going to be the spad stick and the Pizza Box Flyer and I see that they recommend 4 mm for all of the PBF and 4 mm for part of the wing of the stick and the 2 mm for the rest of the wing and the tail feathers. The only thickness that I can find where I live is the 3mm stuff and I was wondering if I could use that size for all of both of the planes( the square on the PBF and the wing and tail feathers on the SpadStic?? I would really appreciate some help since I am heading out to the store today to buy a batch of it.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:49 PM
ALLISONMO2
My Feedback: (35)

I'M A LITTLE SUPRISED THAT THEY SAY IT IS 3MM AS I OWN A SIGN SHOP AND CAN ONLY GET 2MM OR 4MM THEN UP TO 10MM
Old 12-06-2002, 05:56 PM
Tattoo

3mm coroplast is a very happy medium between the two sizes, and should work fine for what you're planning to do. You're going to find though that it's a bit on the flimsy side for tail pieces, and the pizza box without reinforcment... But...you will also find that 1/8" dowels slide nice and snug into the flutes and stiffen things up nicely. How many is up to you. On the pizza box, there is one other stratigy that guys are doing to make it stiffer, and that is to fold over and glue the first 5 flutes or so of the leading edge. Have you checked with the local conviencience store or gas station for discarded 4mm soda or cigarette signs? They make GREAT pizza boxes!!!

I'M A LITTLE SUPRISED THAT THEY SAY IT IS 3MM AS I OWN A SIGN SHOP AND CAN ONLY GET 2MM OR 4MM THEN UP TO 10MM
We have found that sign shops generally get 2mm and 4mm, and that packaging companies (such as make boxes from it) for some reason get the 3mm stuff.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:36 PM
OldRCer

try habor sales.com . Tyhey are in maryland but deliver outof Richmond . No delivery charges on 4X8 sheets. ALSO no min. order requirement.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:48 PM
Mike2002

Oldrcer: I am surprised about the no shipping charge with Harbor Sales that you mentioned. I called them up a little while ago and they said that because of insurance policies, they were not allowed to ship a 4' x 8' sheet, so they would have to cut it down to pieces a maximum of 36" x 48" I think it was. For them to cut it, it would cost $2.75 for up to 20 cuts. They also said that it would cost about 5 dollars to ship the cut up 4' x 8' sheet to Richmond. IF you could lead me in the direction so I could get a 4' x 8' to Richmond free of charge, I would extremely appreciate it.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:59 PM
OldRCer

I live in Suffolk, Va. but I have only ordered 4X8 sheets. They del. in Suff. Mon. thru Fri. The company is in MD. but my ord. comes from Rich. No del. ch. on 4X8 sheets. Also no min. order
Old 12-15-2002, 09:59 PM
pinball-RCU

They also said that it would cost about 5 dollars to ship the cut up 4' x 8' sheet to Richmond. IF you could lead me in the direction so I could get a 4' x 8' to Richmond free of charge, I would extremely appreciate it.
It's not obvious from their web site, but I'm pretty sure there's a $25 minimum order for free shipping. It wouldn't make sense for them to ship a $7.00 sheet of coroplast for free, since the shipping probably costs $4 or so.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:46 PM
OldRCer

I've orderd 1 sheet at a time no problem. Since it is used mostly by the sign making shops I'm sure they sell it to them in Rich. They are nice to do business with. Now, get this, they do not ship it to me but I happen to live on their delivery route & their truck delivers to Suffolk Mon. thru Fri.