The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

aileron control question

Old 06-24-2002, 01:57 PM
bldrums

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default aileron control question

Is is possible to control a plane with only 1 aileron connected or will it cause the plane to spin out of control
( sorry if duplicate post )
Old 06-24-2002, 06:11 PM
Tall Paul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Way back when, in the antique airplane age when dual-proportional was popular, someone discovered "coupling ailerons" to the rudder.
One of the DCRC members got excited about this, and began to convert his Multi-bug to ailerons.. but lost interest in completing the job. Airplane had only one aileron, coupled to the rudder.
Flew quite well, considering.
Earlier this year I picked up the wrong transmitter for my Stickit V Fun-fly.. and had to fly it with only the left aileron active. No one noticed any diminution in my usual frenetic flights with the plane.
I noticed of course.. Rolls were more "barrelly" is about all.
Recently I've experimented with ailerons that only go up. No down at all. On a usually active Kadet, the difference in roll performance wasn't that great.
The intent here is to prevent tip stalls when the plane is heavily loaded and flying at a high alpha.
I've even flown and seen fly airplanes with one aileron floating free. As long as it can "weathervane" behind the wing, it have no effect on the airplane.
Slope combat.. lose an aileron horn?. pin the aileron at neutral, go back up and fly.
Old 06-24-2002, 07:20 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some 1/2A class racers will use just one aileron, and a half of an elevator, on the opposite side. since they typically turn left a lot... they'll have the right aileron and left half of the elevator, making up elevator not only tighten the turn, but increase/help hold the bank angle going around the pylon.

It would be a bad idea for precision aerobatics... but it works fine for maintaining control.

One of the reasons that some people give for using a separate servo for each aileron on a conventional aircraft is the safety factor... if one servo fails, you still have a good shot at saving the plane. Its a good theory, as long as the RX doesn't lose power due to a bound up servo draining the battery...
Old 06-24-2002, 07:31 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There was an article in an old airplane magazine (I think Model Airplane News) that talked about a guy that had a biplane that crashed. The bottom wing had ailerons, and the top didnt. He managed to save one top wing, and one bottom wing. He converted the plane to monowing. He had only one aileron, but he put a piece of monokote on the other wing to look like an aileron. He said that it flew fine except the rolls were much slower, and that you couldn't tell unless you looked at it.