Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

How did you learn to fly??

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How did you learn to fly??

Old 03-01-2006, 12:27 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: How did you learn to fly??

My dad bummed flights from a local pilot (one of the 6 or so in the area) He got hooked, and bought some junk from another pilot. (butterfly with a .049) and a radio. We went through several gliders, the Gentle Lady was the favorite and longest lasting. Once that went in we picked up a fresh new Goldberg Sky Tiger. OS 40 sf. And went from there.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:54 PM
impulse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I first learned on a fighterbird, 2 channel plane. It was a good plane and taught me the importance of approach for landings seeing it had no elevator. I went from that to a hobbico SuperStar with a os .40 LA. I learned with a instructor of which this fields has the most difficult and detailed training. After about 16 flights including multiple simulated dead stick landings, learning s-turns to burn speed, and shifting the trims on the radio during mid flight I was ready.

They have a list of things you have to accomplish, horizontal figure 8's etc and ending with a true dead stick landing.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:53 PM
traxxboy

Firebird XL and hours on microsoft flight sim.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:55 AM
FlyBy8
My Feedback: (1)

First day: Balsa USA Ugly Stick that had been repaired so many times that it probably weighed 3lbs more than when it was first built from all the glues and screws. Bought a 6 channel computerized radio to get me in the air. Once I got the engine running I planned on just taxing around on the ground until I got use to it (yeah right!). After about the third pass on the runway and at about 3/4 throttle, I pulled back on the stick and I was air born for the first time. Had a ball that day (for about 10 minutes) until I realized that I would have to land....

Second day: This Ugly Stick was sooo Ugly that it could barely make left hand turns. So I got good at making right hand turns at full throttle (hadn't realized yet that the left stick would slow things down a bit). Kind of the inverse of a Nascar race in the air...
Before the second flight of the day, I decided to save off the trim settings and re-center the adjustments. Made a big mistake in saving the trim setting once for each trim adjustment control (I didn't know any better) thus giving me 3 times the trim settings needed for straight and level flight. Needless to say, the next flight was a combination of knife edge and sometimes inverted flight. Still had fun that day...