Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Northwest Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 05:28 PM
Crashem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northwest Hobbies

bluther,

"Iwould be satisfied if I just received the Laird-Turner I ordered from them six months ago"

After all that was said here about this company to hear that waits are still that long is inexcusable. Hopefully Jack won't be bashful about addressing them now that he is the owner. I remember how vocal he was in support of Carl (the previous owner)
Old 06-26-2003, 06:10 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by GalenB

It hardly seems fair to start besmirching his character and reputation before he's had a chance to prove, or disprove, anything...
He has proved it to me, and alot of others know about it after our deal :disappoin

Good luck to Jack anyway, if he makes it work good for him.

That B25 sure seems overpriced while were talking about them....IMO
Old 06-26-2003, 06:39 PM
drifter
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Confusion

Just so there is no confusion:

1. Jack Devine is the guy who helped me get kits I had paid for and waited over 6 months for. He did not have to do this. It was a kindness on his part.

2. The hypocr... er , name caller, who has now contradicted himself, and is quoted above has the words GeeBee_ in his name.

Two different people. Please don't confuse Jack with that other guy.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:45 PM
GeeBee_Jimbo
Banned

I said you (or whoever it was) were a whiner, and I was correct. The policies were clearly posted. Can you say "Illiterate"?
Due to my relationship with the company, I was often prevented from saying what I myself felt. However, when some jerk reads a set of policies, orders a kit knowing exactly what the policies are, and then whines a bunch when it turns out the policies are enforced, then it doesn't make me a hypocrite for pointing it out.
What you all don't know is a lot. I was constantly fighting with Carl in an ongoing effort to change the policies and just collect a deposit until the model was ready for shipping. I buy R/C stuff across the country myself, and I know what it feels like to wait like that.
So, don't get your self-righteous panties in a bunch, because you'd be surprised who your friend was in all this, and what your friend was trying to prevent in the long run, and how much work it was.
I spent four years building that website. You want to talk about waiting? Let me whine a little. I received about 5% of what I was owed.
But I do believe in the product itself, if not the integrity of its creator, and that is why I'm so delighted that Jack Devine has bought the company.

Jimbo
Old 06-26-2003, 10:47 PM
GeeBee_Jimbo
Banned

By the way, I NEVER said that I liked those policies, not ever. I would never sell kits or anything else that way.

Jimbo
Old 06-26-2003, 10:51 PM
GeeBee_Jimbo
Banned

And I'll point out one more thing before stepping back. I worked on the website whenever it was needed, and always finished the work in record time. If the kits had been worked on that hard, then the policies would never have become an issue. You're picking on the wrong guy. I work for a living, all day, every day, and most evenings while you're all sitting and watching TV.

That about says it.
Jimbo
Old 06-27-2003, 12:15 AM
Jack Devine
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NWHT Ownership

Hello guys! I'm getting into this a little earlier than I had planned but I want to get a handle on this right now so we all can move forward. I am the new owner of Northwest Hobby Technologies and I'd like to tell all of you why I chose to buy this business. First off I have always had and will continue to have a great deal of respect for Carl Hickey the previous owner of this business but it was getting to the point where some major decisions had to be made and those decisions have been made. The business will be solely owned and operated by me with the support of my best friend Dani who happens to be my wife. We made this acquisition together and we are going to rebuild this business together. There is much work to do and policies and procedures to change and as we embark on this I look forward to making Northwest Hobby Technologies the type of company I know it can be.

Our line of model airplanes are a tried and proven commodity and our planes are some of the best flying planes out there. The product line is solid and is going to grow in several different directions very soon and I will keep you all advised of what we are developing.

Our first major change deals with payment in full at the time of order. That will no longer happen. Once our toll free order line is up and running you will have to pay a deposit of $100.00 dollars to start your kit in the production line and you will be notified when the kit is ready to be shipped and the balance will be due at that time. Once the balance is received the kit will be shipped immediately. My goal is to have kits ready for shipment in three weeks and if the kits are in stock I will ship them immediately. My goal is to develop a stock of at least two of everything so we will be able to service the majority of our customers in a timely manner. That will be JOB #1 at the new Northwest Hobby Technologies.

There is a huge relocation that is going to take place and it will take me a few weeks to get everything up and running. New production will start as soon as the cutting equipment is set up. New supplies are on order and as we bring this company out of the ashes we look forward to being a company that many of you will come back to so you can enjoy building and flying some of the nicest model airplane kits available. Dani and I look forward to answering your questions and hopefully serving your RC aircraft hobby needs.

Jim Surra, our webmaster, has agreed to stay on with us in that position and I want to tell each of you that I rely on him daily for help and advice. I'm very proud of our website and it's only going to get better. Jim is extremely knowledgeable in this business and through the exposure that our website creates we will change the tide and turn this company around. All I ask is that we be given the chance to deliver what we have planned and allowed to proceed with a minimal amount of negative activity. We are working very hard to get into the new era of Northwest Hobby Technologies and I look forward to meeting new people and making my companies products more visible that they have ever been before. Good products supported by good service is our pledge to each of you.

Thanks!

Jack Devine
Northwest Hobby Technologies
Old 06-27-2003, 05:27 AM
Jack Devine
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sky Blue 62: I have not been advised by the previous owner of your inquirey about a kit. Please let me know what information you were seeking and I will get the information back to you immediately. I ask for a chance to earn your business and I look forward to talking with you.

Jack Devine
Northwest Hobby Technologies
Old 06-27-2003, 06:30 PM
bluther
Banned

Guess what folks. I was informed a few minutes ago by e-mail after inquiring of the new owners of nwht of when I could expect the Laird-Turner I paid for six months ago. I was told by a person close to the owners that Carl was filing for chapter 7 and my money was probably going to be tied up in that and the new owners were not responsible for Carls debts. But if I ever got my money back ,thats a joke, they would be glad to sell me another.
Does anyone out there know what recourse if any I and the other people in my position have?

Thanks, Bill
Old 06-27-2003, 06:40 PM
JohnVH

I was wondering about that
Old 06-27-2003, 07:52 PM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Hello Jimbo,
I am the fellow you called a jerk. Any time a vendor can not deliver as promised they are at fault. Charging fees after that is the issue. Carl did not contest the Credit Card charge reversal which is ethical. If I had canceled one minute before due date, my fault and keep the deposit. You really need to work on your manners and literacy. By the way I also work which has nothing to do with any of this. Case closed and have a nice day.

PS Jack - do some good, wish ALL well.

Carl
Old 06-28-2003, 08:23 PM
GeeBee_Jimbo
Banned

Carl, My literacy is fine, yours is in question, if you're the guy I was referring to, it's honestly not worth my time to check. I'm sure you've never had an unscrupulous boss ever in your life, so you're the perfect person here, or at least the luckiest, so you win, okay?
Whatever, I'm not even going to bother to wade into the old crap that was not of my making anyway. So troll away and have fun, the fish are no longer biting.
For those who have orders placed with the "old" NWHT under Carl Hickey, there are some things you're going to need to know, please go to this link.

http://www.nwhobbytechnologies.com/special_events.htm

Thanks.......Jimbo
Old 06-28-2003, 08:28 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a NIB Focke Wulf in the low $200's plus shipping here in Albuquerque.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:39 PM
GeeBee_Jimbo
Banned

Bluther,
Never said that the money was going to be tied up in that. Said that Carl stated that the credit card bank would credit the card, and that we did not know if that was true or not. Those are Carl's debts, he owned the business and called the shots. Picking on Jack for that , well, why don't you just turn and start yelling at your wife, because I can guarantee you that she has every bit as much to do with it as Jack does. We understand your frustration, what happened was wrong. But what happened was done by CARL. I'm sorry you feel that Jack is in any way responsible, or that buying the SAME kit from Jack after your money is credited would in any way be inappropriate.

There's a reason that I'm elated that Jack is in the cockpit at NWHT now. One word describes it: INTEGRITY.

Again, this link has a lot of information about unfilled orders from the "old" NWHT:

http://www.nwhobbytechnologies.com/special_events.htm

Thanks....

Jimbo
Old 06-28-2003, 09:27 PM
JohnVH

Jimbo, check your email, I have a question for you on a line from above.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2003, 09:31 PM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

If you ordered and paid a deposit etc... if he files for bankrupcy you should contact the attorney and the court handling the case. They will collect a list of debts owed "IF" there is every any settlement etc...

Odds of getting anything are slim, but odds of getting anything when you don't contact them is nil.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:50 PM
bluther
Banned

GeeBee_Jimbo,

I went back and reread my posts to see if I had even mentioned Jacks name in anger. I couldn't find anything. So what are you talking about? What I am saying is that I bought a kit from NWHT 6 Mo . ago for $355.00 and have recieved nada.
I would not even have been informed of this if I hadn't taken it upon myself to inquire. I thank you for telling me but Hey, Im still Pi$$d And you would be too. Why give a company a second chance to get your money for nothing? Old saying :fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
Bill
Old 06-29-2003, 06:31 PM
ramboamt
My Feedback: (36)

Default "New owners" web page statement

Went to the web site and looked up the "New owners" statement about the previously ordered and paid for kits, here is the statement
"However, what Jack can do and is doing is taking the existing components of the old orders and putting those materials aside ( Most of these orders have their foam components all cut, just waiting for wood, or fiberglass, or hardware to complete them.). Jack intends to reserve those components to fill those orders for the customers once their cards have been credited, should those customers indicate that they would still like their kits as originally ordered. Our new policies will be in effect: Only a deposit will be charged until the kits are ready to ship. And of course, these partially completed kits can be readied to ship within a much shorter time frame.
This is the extent of what we can do in our new position as the NEW NW Hobby Technologies. " :disappoin
and my question is, when reading this statement if you have paid for the kit and they have the parts you will have to pay for the kit again?
I Emailed Jim, the webmaster, for clarification of this but have not received a reply yet.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:49 AM
GeeBee_Jimbo
Banned

The point here is simple. You paid Carl Hickey for the kit. Carl closed the company and filed for bankruptcy. Jack Devine bought the inventory, and did not assume Carl's debts, Carl wrote off all your orders in his chapter 7 bankruptcy, there was nothing to assume.
Jack was going to change the name, the only reason he kept it as NWHT was because I own the website and, as it wasn't going to do me much good, I offered the well-established website and my services to Jack.
Now, if Jack had opened as Devine Models, would you want to know if you'd have to pay him for a kit he sells you? Of course not! It's not the same company, right?
Carl left the guys with pending orders no choice, you HAVE to go to your credit card people and tell them he closed and have your cards credited back to you. Once that's done, you can use the same money to buy the same model from a different company.

You just have to accept the fact that this indeed a different company, no matter what the name.

Yes, it's frustrating, but we have ZERO control over it, Carl called all the shots on this, we're just doing what we can to help in the aftermath.

Hope this is of some help.

Jimbo
Old 06-30-2003, 07:27 AM
ramboamt
My Feedback: (36)

Default Re:"New owners" statement

>"when reading this statement if you have paid for the kit and they have the parts you will have to pay for the kit again? "<

Here is Jim's reply to my earlier post:
"That's correct, but by that time you'll know whether your card was credited or not. Technically, if everything works out right, you'll be paying for it with the same money all over again. If the bank doesn't credit your card, then you have a difficult decision to make.

Just remember, we're a different company, with different people.

Jimbo"

I hope I'm one of the lucky ones as I used my credit card for this purchase and have turned in the appropriate paperwork for the refund from my credit card company. :disappoin
Old 06-30-2003, 11:17 AM
GeeBee_Jimbo
Banned

So, let me get this straight, if you weren't able to get your card credited, then we'd be the bad guys because another guy you dealt with (Carl Hickey) went out of business? Or does it just sound like sour grapes here?

I guess I don't understand what it is you're implying here. Jack is going to great lengths to try to make sure that if it is at all possible that the folks who bought B-25's and other kits from Carl Hickey can still have those kits, even if it is a bit convoluted. It would be far easier to simply use the stock for the orders that are now rolling in, and let people sort out their own problems, but that's not how Jack wants it, and I applaud his efforts. It complicates things for him, but he wants to help out in whatever small way he can.
So, if I'm not outside the lines here with what I think I'm hearing, I'd suggest that rather than making a point of picking on Jack (a guy completely uninvolved with this unfilled orders deal), that folks direct their anger toward Carl Hickey, who surprised us with his closing of the business just as much as he did you.

Believe me, nobody you can name was stuffed worse by him than I was, and I was stuffed at the same time you were, so I know who to point the finger at.

Jimbo
Old 06-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Crashem

Jack,

Reputation is EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can't make "good" on the previous owners commitments

1. Change the name of the company NWHT's previous reputation is going to haunt you for a long time.

2. Keeping the name because of the Website is a bad IMHO business decision. Websites and webmasters can be easily replaced.

Take a look at the other thread going here why start off being associated (especially in name) with NWHT's past problems the R/C community is small and tightly knit, you are setting yourself up for some tough times by sticking with the name.

3. 100.00 deposit seems reasonably BUT maybe you should for go the deposit until such a time as you can prove to the consumers that you will be able to provide a quality product in a timely manner. Yes that does increase your exposure to risk. but until such a time. Most customers are going to associate the "old" NWHT with the "new" and I don't think you are going to receive a large number of deposits.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:46 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like NWHT never went solvent???? So how can the new owner not claim responsibility for not delivering a product that the company is still selling? Carl's bankruptcy is to protect Carl, not NWHT.

Those kits to be delivered were assets, and still are since they are now back in inventory to be sold. Jack, what you are saying on your website may be setting you up for some legal recourse from the said purchasers of those kits. Since those "parts" for kits not delivered are already paid for, how can you legally sell them again?

I think the only way a new owner to not claim any responsibility from the legal actions from the previous officers is to completely dissolve the company, purchase the assets through liquidation, and start over.

Otherwise, the guys here that have bought kits but have not received them still have to be obligated by NWHT.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:48 PM
carlbecker

GeeBee_Jimbo
I usually don't repeat myself, read above. I don't thing anyone or anything is perfect including myself or the planes I build or how I fly. I try very hard to live up to my word and promise. I do not require or want excuses especially from people I don't know . You supported the owner after I canceled a six week past due delivery promise. Now you hint at unpleasant business practices from the owner. You do not know any thing about me yet call me a jerk because I called the man to task. You interject other issues and then still must have the last word after I have said CASE CLOSED and still I wish everyone well. Speaks for itself.

On the other hand. It seems that Jack Devine has put his money where his mouth is. Every one should understand that this is a new company and it seems Jack wants to make right what he can. I hope he can satisfy every one but time will tell. Give Jack a chance he has helped others get there orders filled!!

I don't have any concerns in this matter anymore
Old 06-30-2003, 01:52 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

I hate to say it, but a different name will clear up a lot of the confusion, and probably a lot of ill feelings from past customers. I like the sound of Devine Models personally!! I'm still going to save towards your R2!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.