Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Northwest Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 02:26 PM
_jon_
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northwest Hobbies

I'd lose the name, the website and the online chatroom salesman, make a nice instruction manual to replace that loser/snooser video tape and somewhere post in big, black letters WARNING ! THESE KITS ARE SPORT SCALE AT BEST, or something to that effect.

Jon
Old 06-30-2003, 04:03 PM
BillHarris

Carl Hickey owned a company called NW Hobbies and had a lot of trouble meeting production deadlines. Company goes Chapter7, and also bankrupts it's reputation.

One of his good friends, Jack Devine, buys the company's inventory at a premium price. Retains the company's name, retains the company's website and is evidently trying to keep the old company's tarnished reputation. And the site's webmaster has a hotmail.com email addess!

Evidently Jack has no better business sense than Carl did. Or, maybe the same sort of business approach!

I'd be hesitant to place an order with this company, and if I absolutely had to have one of their kits, I'd watch them for a year and then consider ordering.

It's a rough world, but reputation is everything, and the world is full of hucksters...
Old 06-30-2003, 04:05 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

if I absolutely had to have one of their kits, I'd watch them for a year and then consider ordering.

It's going to take me 2 years to save up anyway
Old 06-30-2003, 04:15 PM
Crashem

Those kits to be delivered were assets, and still are since they are now back in inventory to be sold.
scottrc,

They are not assets nor are they inventory everyone of them was paid in full in advance. They can't be considered as assets because of the way they were sold pay for it then build it.

Putting those kits back into inventory may even constitute theft since NWHT "sold" each kit as a custom production run and required payment in full before producing them.

I'd speak with an attorney regarding the disposition of the partially completed kits? Sounds like the makings of a class action lawsuit agsinst the prior/current owners of this company?
Old 06-30-2003, 05:00 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Crashem,

Thank you,

You have explained the point that I was getting at. Jack is stating in his website that he now has inventory of new parts cut and reserved for kits that were paid for and not shipped. Why doesn't he just ship the kits? NWHT already was paid for them and now they are asking the purchaser to get refunded by the credit card company due to Chapter 7 protection and repurchase the kits? What if the purchaser paid in cash? Still, NWHT is STILL in BUSINESS and may need to OBLIGATE it's original transactions. These were not transactions between Carl Hickey, the person, and the purchaser, they were made by NWHT with Carl Hickey as the agent. He went chapter 7 to protect his own personal assets and seems to have the new owner thinking he is except from honoring any transactions that NWHT had while Carl Hickey was the owner. Wrong! Jack better dissolve and restart while he still has skin to sit on.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:15 PM
Crashem

ScottRc,

You make some excellent points. I just spoke to my uncle very briefly (specializes in bankruptcy law) about this and he said that the if ownership was transferred and the company was not dissolved the new owners could be liable. He also stated that the laws differ somewhat from locale to locale and that the best advice would be to get in touch with the attorney and or courts to see what recourse(s) are available.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:27 PM
BillHarris

Those kits to be delivered were assets, and still are since they are now back in inventory to be sold... Since those "parts" for kits not delivered are already paid for, how can you legally sell them again?
This is getting fishier and fishier. These are/were custom kits with parts made as the orders were pre-paid, but never delivered. The undelivered, paid-for parts were bought by the guys friend at a premium price and now they are being re-cycled into new kits for sale.

Anyone like to buy a bridge in suburban NYC?

--Bill
Old 06-30-2003, 10:17 PM
GeeBee_Jimbo
Banned

New orders are already rolling in, at a far greater rate than they used to. Jack Devine may change the name, or he may not, but whatever happens, I'm sure it will be because Jack wants it that way, not because you guys do.

It's a small business, it's in new hands, it's hardly even worth commenting upon. Contracts have been signed, debts have been assigned, inventory has been sold to pay lawyers fees, all legal, and all things you have no knowledge of, nor should you.

Jimbo
Old 06-30-2003, 10:46 PM
Jack Devine
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NWHT

There has not been an explanation of the purchase of this company by me and i'd like to take some time to clear a few things up. There is no extensive inventory of anything at NWHT and there is not one single completed kit there period. For some of you there is a conception that I bought up all of your kits and that is not true. The real costly materials that are needed to complete the kits Like wood. fiberglass components and accessories were not available because of the business's lack of money to buy the nesessary supplies. There are only three kits in the very small inventory that had all of the foam work finished and none of them are B-25s. That type of kit takes up the largest part in numbers of that kit that were ordered of the total number of undelivered kits. It is also the most expensive kit the company offered. All of the things that brought NWHT to a grinding hault happened because of the way the Carl Hickey chose to run this business. I had nothing to do with any of those decisions nor did I know the real extent of the problems.

There is no colusion here between Carl Hickey and myself and there is not any underhanded plan to rip anyone off. I have purchased more NWHT kits than anyone on this forum and I'm very familiar with the companies line of model airplanes. I called Carl two weeks ago to inquire about another kit and that is when I found out he was closing the doors. I sat down and talked with my wife and asked her what she thought of the idea that I was thinking about and that was purchasing Carl's equipment and starting our own company. We discussed it for several days and we decided to contact Carl and see if we could work out a deal to purchase the equipment. The insinuation that this in any way is some kind of questionable deal are wrong. I am going to try and build a new company. That is our sole intent. Changing the name of the company is something we talked about and something that we will do. I wanted everyone to know that I bought a business from another individual and that I was moving forward from there starting my company from the ground floor. I thought that leaving the name unchanged until the fallout was dealt with was the right thing to do so everyone knew exactly who they were dealing with and who the involved parties were. I still honestly fell this was the right way to do this. Nothing will make this company work but the work it takes to create a business that delivers what people are willing to pay for.

Carl Hickey will have nothing to do with my business. My wife and I will make all of the decisions and we will control the company in it's entirety. Please direct your unanswered questions directly to me and I will answer all of them.

Jack Devine
Old 06-30-2003, 10:50 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

I have to agree with Jimbo here!
I have no affiliation with NWH, nor have I ordered anything...YET,
nor do I know Jack , nor Carl.
But I feel for the guys that lost their money here so far. I would be upset as well. But to take down and Slander Jack is a littl unfair. I have been reading these posts here sometime now since this all started. But at some point I agree that the mods should/could have stepped in and stopped SOME of this. I mean they shut down some things and let the accusations fly against Jack for nothing. He has done nothing here. he has bought a company and is trying to bring it back around.
Yes maybe a different name, but he kept the same name...so what! Why kill his dream to try and get the company back on its feet and start producing instead of slandering the business he is attempting to re-build!? He is not going to be able to get this going with the frenzy of ill will torwards the NEW company, it is not the OLD company.

just my .02

Todd

p.s. good luck Jack, this thread has made me want to order one now.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

I never ordered anything, but why would you buy the "Name" of a company and not just the inventory of a company that was gonna get so much bad press?
Old 06-30-2003, 11:07 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's time to put this one to rest. Jack has responded, and all inquiries can be made to him as he requested. Thanks.