Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Model plane 'blitz plot'

Old 03-30-2006, 10:09 AM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Model plane 'blitz plot'

Model plane 'blitz plot'
By SIMON HUGHES

AL-QAEDA planned to use model planes in bombings, the Old Bailey heard yesterday.

Supergrass Mohammed Babar β€” giving evidence against an alleged UK terror gang β€” told of his meeting with a man in Pakistan who was working on the idea.

Babar said Canadian Mohammed Momin Khawaja and his brother were working on a satellite-navigated model airplane that could be fitted with explosives.

Ringleader Omar Khyam, 24, wanted to launch a string of bombings in Britain targeting pubs, clubs, and train stations on the same day, Babar said.

Babar, 31, alleged: β€œHe wanted to do multiple bomb attacks β€” either simultaneously or one after another.”

Babar claimed one of Khyam’s fellow plotters Salahuddin Amin, had five to seven detonators which Khyam had paid to have smuggled into Britain.

Khyam, Amin and five others deny terror charges, including conspiracy to cause explosions.

Khawaja is awaiting trial in Canada. The case continues.

Things like this can only damage the image of our hobby. our hobby is a peaceful passtime and then we get idiots like these that want to turn it into a means of harming people and property. I hate to read things like this as this is the kind of thing that puts our hobby in a negative spotlight with the general public that do not understand our hobby.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Deadeye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Model plane 'blitz plot'

Obviously things like terror strikes are never good. However, I can't see them outlawing our planes when guns are still killing people everyday, as are cars and trucks. And they are still flying full scale planes, even after 9/11.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:57 PM
jettstarblue

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"Supergrass Mohammed Babar"?

Yeah, great......
Old 03-30-2006, 07:30 PM
tsands
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"Babar said Canadian Mohammed Momin Khawaja and his brother were working on a satellite-navigated model airplane that could be fitted with explosives."

Our planes aren't satellite navigated. Our planes are radio controlled. I know you people will get ur panties in a bunch about this but they can use tickle me elmo's if they want. Stop worrying so much. The threat is real but I have better things to worry about than this
Old 03-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Rod Robbins

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tsands

"Babar said Canadian Mohammed Momin Khawaja and his brother were working on a satellite-navigated model airplane that could be fitted with explosives."

Our planes aren't satellite navigated. Our planes are radio controlled. I know you people will get ur panties in a bunch about this but they can use tickle me elmo's if they want. Stop worrying so much. The threat is real but I have better things to worry about than this
Wasn't AMA President Dave Brown involved in a transatlantic R/C project using this exact same technology a year or two ago, which demonstrated the feasability of long range guided flight by R/C planes? The landing, as I recall, had to be done manually, but could these crackpots have read about that or some similar project and decided to pursue it further?

See -- it's the AMA's fault!
Seriously, though, if this kind of terrorist attack occurred and someone in the news media makes the connection, it could release a major sh_t-storm in our direction...

Oh, yeah -- "Supergrass??" Far out, man.... Hopefully, this dude will keep himself too stoned to pull off anything serious.

-- Rod
Old 03-31-2006, 02:08 AM
Deadeye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rod Robbins

ORIGINAL: tsands

Wasn't AMA President Dave Brown involved in a transatlantic R/C project using this exact same technology a year or two ago, which demonstrated the feasability of long range guided flight by R/C planes? The landing, as I recall, had to be done manually, but could these crackpots have read about that or some similar project and decided to pursue it further?

See -- it's the AMA's fault!
Seriously, though, if this kind of terrorist attack occurred and someone in the news media makes the connection, it could release a major sh_t-storm in our direction...

Oh, yeah -- "Supergrass??" Far out, man.... Hopefully, this dude will keep himself too stoned to pull off anything serious.

-- Rod
While I can understand your justification of something like that having a negative effect, I disagree. Can you imagine the man power it would take to outlaw RC??? In all it's glorious cheap to perfect scale reproductions - and EVERYTHING inbetween - displayed and USED in so many cultures worldwide - so mant channels, etc.? There is no way they would ever 'round it up' like some might think. No way.

I would go into hiding anyway. All I need is a gravel road for 'Lucky' (my behemoth pig of a plane). I think I could strap myself to 'Lucky' and get away anyway.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:49 AM
jettstarblue

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"They" can't even police the full scale people carrying planes, they sure couldn't "outlaw" R/C flying.

....and yeah, we worry waaaay to much about nothing.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:11 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would like to see a Suicide Bomber Convention . Just get them all together at once and have one big bang and get it over with.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Where this is somewhat true.. DB was there more as a high profile modeler
than to represent AMA... And,, the TAM flights were NOT done from within
the United States as it is against AMA policy among other things as shown
in rule #10 under RADIO CONTROL..
http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/105.pdf

Wasn't AMA President Dave Brown involved in a transatlantic R/C
project using this exact same technology a year or two ago,
Hand-launched by Maynard and piloted by Joe Foster, on August 9, 2003,
at 7:45 p.m. (local time) from Cape Spear, Newfoundland, the model flew
a distance of 1,882.3 miles in 38 hours and 52 minutes before being landed
in Clifden, County Galway, Ireland, on August 11 at 2:08 p.m. (local time)
by AMA President Dave Brown.

Article on the TAM flights can be seen at:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...01/ai_n9400487

Sooo,, in short,, if you blow up a building with a model plane that was on
autononomus flight,, AMA will not cover the damages..