The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

niteflyer

Old 06-28-2002, 07:04 PM
Tattooold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How long have you been in the hobby?

I started in 1977, I remember it like yesterday. I spend way too much
Old 06-29-2002, 12:31 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Seems like this poll gets restarted about every 1 to 3 months...

I've been working with flying models for over 30 years. R/C for over 24 years.

1 yr FF only, then several years of FF and C/L, then added R/C, then dropped FF after 3 years of R/C. Then dropped C/L 13 years ago due to a leg injury which makes it impossible for me to keep up with a plane for more than 3 laps.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:43 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been flying for 6 years now, but I've been out at the field almost every weekend for 3.
Old 06-30-2002, 06:17 AM
traskos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Built my first model in 1936. 10 cent Comet or Guillow. Have been at it ever since. From rubber powered to gas powered free flight to control line to glow plug RC to Gas powered giant scale and now to electric parkflyers. I`ve been there and done it.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:37 AM
traskos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GC Flyer

Good for you GC. Glad to hear you went about it the right way. At one time I was a member of 4 clubs at once and taught a lot of people to fly RC. There were a lot of instructors in these 4 clubs and I have yet to hear of any one of us charging any student for the lessons. So I think it is quite common not to charge for RC instruction.
Keep up the good work.

Traskos
Old 07-07-2002, 03:23 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been in it only 2 years with 3 planes. I am going to start flying IMAC next year with a 27% Edge.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:27 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Compare fuel with gasoline... its cheap. When gasoline was about 50 cents a gallon, 10% nitro fuel was about $7.50 a gallon. If fuel kept up with gasoline... it should cost $22, at the cheap dealer. But... we can still get 10% sport fuel for $10 a gallon. (sometimes $9 when the Powermaster guy is at a show or contest...) And... the modern fuel is better due to better lubricants.

Compared to inflation of other things: fuel would be at over $40 a gallon if it had kept up.... Up to $150 a gallon if you compare to a select few items.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:58 AM
nevada duke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My 14 year old son and I have been flying for 9 months. Judging by the amount of fuel we have burned we have almost 6 hours apiece actual flying time. We are doing take-offs and landings now and getting close to soloing. We are flying with instructors using the buddy-box system at our local club. This has been a very positive experience for us, the club members are very helpful.

I built a lot of models when I was a kid, but the RC equipment then was unattainable for me. I did rubber band powered planes, one control line and one free flight. This is something I've wanted to do all my life, finally have the time and the right situation.

Best regards, nevada duke.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:57 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Long time in Model Aviation

Model Aviation, all disciplines, has held my attention for as long as I can remember. RC has been the main item since 1971.
I flew competive CL Stunt and FF class C and OHLG prior to RC. I have done pattern, pylon, scale, Fun-Flys, and combat. Jack-of-all-trades, but really good at none except RC flight instruction.

Maybe my military time having been an USAF Instructor Navigator-Bombardier and an Instructor Pilot provided me with some instructional capability. 28 years as a UAL pilot also provided some flight experience.

In addition, owning a Hobby-Shop, serving in several positions such as Secretary-to-the-Board, Association of Greater Chicago Radio Control Clubs, AMA District RC Contest Coordinator, and AMA District VP gave me some background into the AMA. Don't forget 40 years as a Contest Director including 1973 as Assistant Director for CL at the NATS. AMA is now my main interest.

Have you read the June 15 minutes of the AMA EC? They are scary. Three corporations, captive Insurance company, and a lot of other small items all -- IMO -- adding up to hiding capital.
My problem is just who will benefit from these corporations and who will fund those corporations? I don't think the same *who* is in the answers to those questions.

The AMA members -- again just my opinion -- should stand up and say, "Enough is Enough." An easy way to do so is to simply mark your soon-to-arrive AMA ballot for Horrace Cain, Executive Vice president, Academy of Model Aeronautics. Vote when the ballot arrives, renew membership whenever you may desire. Send the ballot to the directed address, not AMA, and do it now.

NOW is the HOUR to put "Our" back before AMA -- "Our AMA".

Please address any items to AMAEVPtobe@aol.com

Horrace Cain
AMA 539
Member: IMAA, NASA, NMPRA, PAMPA, RCCA, SWRA, and Flying Aces rubber power association.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:17 PM
RaceCity

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First R/C flight....May 20, 1977. Seems like yesterday. Playing with flying models (usually the the 15cent guillows variety) since perhaps 5 or 6 years old.

Despite a few slack periods over the past 25 years, the model airplanes are the one thread that has remained consistent in my life. They have been the source of countless happy times and brought innumerable great friends to me. I couldn't imagine being without them...

Fly!
Old 09-27-2002, 02:36 PM
RaceCity

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man that's OLD!

You must have been flying r/c before the Dead Sea got sick!

You know it's bad when:

* The club by-laws were printed on stone tablets....

* The wheel was new.

* DaVinci was considered a top r/c designer...

* You were so poor, you had to grow your own balsa...

* Club members considered the Wright Flyer "too edgy".

Old 09-27-2002, 03:04 PM
RaceCity

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hal DeBolt...

My first plane was a DeBolt "LiveWire". Squirrely as the day was long...no landing gear... salvaged out of an attic. It flew however, and I remember it all so well...

If I can wax sorrow here for a moment...I am sad that an increasing number of "participants" in this hobby (they're not modelers...they don't build anything) are missing out on the real thrill of the hobby...that is, working with so little and still managing to coax an otherwise inert object skyward.

The complete and utter amazement with each flight...sitting in school salivating at the prospect of "goin' flying" that evening.

Can't speak for others, but for me,it was the perserverance required to survive the routine failures, and exasperating setbacks that have given me such a lasting enjoyment of the hobby.

Wish more folks got to experience that.

"You can't stress and build at the same time"
Old 09-29-2002, 04:51 AM
traskos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default niteflyer

Amen to that niteflyer. Built my first model in 1936 and still at it. It seems so many problems today seem to be,what is called , stress related. I am glad I don`t have that problem.
Old 09-29-2002, 05:11 AM
RaceCity

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Isn't it the truth though? I figure if you can engineer your way out of a bind AFTER the epoxy has cured....being stuck in traffic is only a minor inconvenience. Stress? Sure we all have it but it sure seems more manageable to me than it does to others apparently. Heck...a new kit is equal to six trips to the doctor!

(and about the same price after it's all said and done)

"...just keepin' the ball in the middle.."
Old 09-29-2002, 04:58 PM
traskos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default niteflyer

What I enjoyed doing was usihg full rudder and full opposite aileron and watching the ball go to the end of it`s travel. Also coming in high to my grass strip field and doing a split "s" into the pattern. Those were also great stress relievers. I see by your occupation you will know what I mean.
Old 09-29-2002, 05:38 PM
RaceCity

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Split "S" to final hey? Yikes...you're a stronger man than I. I've always preferred the ground UNDER me rather than in FRONT of me

(I really need to get some aerobatic stick time tho...)

"If it don't fly....what's the point?"