Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

MAN renewal? No, thanks.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Roquewj
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAN renewal? No, thanks.

My subscription to Model Airplane News is up to renewal.
Just got it in the mail. Have decided not to renew it.

I will keep my subscription to RC Report. I'm looking for another magazine to replace MAN in my library.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:10 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MAN renewal? No, thanks.

Not much choice anymore. I also have dropped MAN and decided on 3D-Flyer. If you are heavy into electrics then there is Backyard Flyer and maybe another that I can't think off off hand. I really think you get more specialized information from the Internet forums. IT is the real world, here!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:23 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dropped MAN after the renewal notice "Forget it! We will not be offering a lower price in the future so just send in this renewal notice now!" I took offense and decided they can keep the mag. I do subscribe to RC Model World and RCM&E both Brit mags. Cool thing about them is they give you a pull out plan with each issue.[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: euqor

My subscription to Model Airplane News is up to renewal.
Just got it in the mail. Have decided not to renew it.

I will keep my subscription to RC Report. I'm looking for another magazine to replace MAN in my library.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Flying Models is the only "MODELER'S" magazine left in the US. For you the English mags may better fill the bill.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:58 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm now down to only getting R/C Report from the U.S. There are a couple of good scale magazines available from England, but they are a little pricey here.

I'm still whizzed off about Norm Goyer and Scale R.C. Modeller. It had been and could have remained the best magazine. [:@]

Horrace: Why don't you publish a good R.C. Mag? You can find all manner of people in here that are articulate, and have a vast background in the model airplane field. I enjoy the electronic media, but still there is nothing like the anticipation when you see the latest airplane magazine hanging out of the mailbox.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 04-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Dsegal

> Flying Models is the only "MODELER'S" magazine left in the US. <

Amen to that.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I dropped man too. Too expensive for what you get. I dont see flying models mag in any stores down here. I'm interested in checking it out.
Edwin
Old 04-20-2006, 09:44 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I thought I was the only one. I dropped it two months ago. I was thinking one of the other club guys should get it. Since they have been reading mine for years.

David
Old 04-20-2006, 09:59 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I quit buying it two years ago. Too little in it for the price.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

I get FlyRC, which is about as bad as MAN, but on occassion, there are some interesting articles. I'll usually buy RC Report at the hobby shop. Also get MA. I hate it when mags send you your renewal 6 months in advance of your last issue. It's like they are hoping you forgot that you just paid for the next 12 months only recently.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:15 PM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I dropped mine last year since I didn't feel like paying for a catologue.

Flying Models is still hanging in there.

Scott
Old 04-20-2006, 04:44 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: vicman

I dropped MAN after the renewal notice "Forget it! We will not be offering a lower price in the future so just send in this renewal notice now!" I took offense and decided they can keep the mag. I do subscribe to RC Model World and RCM&E both Brit mags. Cool thing about them is they give you a pull out plan with each issue.[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Hey vicman---I think I'll cancel all my mags if you'll just send me yours after you look at all the pictures. Howz Rocket Boy doin'? Haven't run into you guys at the field in a while.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I dropped mine too along with 2 of my friends..I get 3D Flyer and its so much better than MAN...Im gonna try FlyRC and see how that is.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Rebellion

Dropped my subscription to MAN two years ago. Couldn't see paying money for what amounted to a printed infomercial.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

mine ends in Dec. not sure if ill renew... i liked the fact that they did reviews on something other than giant stuff but every plane ive seen in the last 3 years has gotten a "great" review..im sure they have ran across something that was junk....just once id like them to say "dont buy this plane" if it was the truth..99% of the time the plane has no flaws..all perks listed... i trust the opinons of fellow modelers more than them now....
Old 04-20-2006, 09:15 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL Ken, You are the second guy in a month asking to post look review the brit mags. 41.5 and I are doing well. He gets more stick time than I do when we go to the field lately. Thanks for asking.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:43 PM
blw

I gave up on MAN and RCFlyer. They were basically toy ARF magazines with reviews that were worthless. Flying Models and RC Reports are the only ones worth money nowadays. I did like 3-D Flyer at first, but they went downhill fast, very fast.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:43 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: blw

I did like 3-D Flyer at first, but they went downhill fast, very fast.
Ad dollars rule in that game; if you want to make a living. The heli mag I wrote for "told it like it was"; and subsequently, did NOT enjoy multi-buck ad contracts from the big-money boys. It survived (and does to this day), but hasn't thrived. The current publisher and all previous ones, including the founder, had day jobs. IOW, if you are depending on your publication as your main income, and don't keep the advertisers happy, you don't eat.

I remember back in the 80s when I began the hobby, that MAN was my favorite of all the mags I subscribed to. In retrospect, I have to wonder; was it that good back then, or I just didn't know any better???

Anyway, I'll agree that R/C Report and Flying Models are about the only US mags that still give solid, BELIEVABLE information. I had thought FM was gone, but picked up the May '06 issue and was impressed; think I'll subscribe.

And the AMA mag is in a class by itself; FWIW, I think the facelift it has gotten over the past few years is excellent, and the editorial staff does a good job of balancing each issue. As for MAN, Fly R/C, and the other "glossies"; I find them useful to thumb through while waiting for the wife to finish her grocery shopping. I'll even buy one occasionally. But subscribe?

No way.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Edwin

Steve,
Do you think a RC Consumers Guide type of magazine could make it in the real world? Something funded totally by subscribers or is that just a pipe dream.
Edwin
Old 04-21-2006, 01:13 PM
LSP972

Good question. There would be SO many variables... but given the general skinflint attitude most modelers seem to have nowadays, would anyone even BUY such a publication?

You would have to be VERY careful to keep such a volume as professional as possible, to maintain credibility. I am reminded of a certain group of guys who were tired of the fluff reviews in gun magazines (this problem of advertising buying good reviews is NOT restricted to our hobby) and created their own "Gun Tests" magazine. At first, it seemed pretty good. Then, you realized the people doing the "testing" were just a bunch of beer-swilling rednecks; the very epitome of what responsible gun owners want to avoid as an image.

Sort of like the "More POWER, dude!"... "3D ROX, man!" types in our hobby. Their enthusiasm is commendable, but their attitudes/actions reinforces the average non-hobbiest's opinion that we are kids playing with kid's toys.

I expect nothing much will change; the glossies will still publish "reviews" that leave out quite a bit of important detail; and people will still buy those glossies to ooh and aah over the pro photography.

Let's hope RCU is still around to stem the tide of magazine BS...
Old 04-21-2006, 08:55 PM
blw

You just hit the nail on the head by mentioning RCU. Any fluff or hype gets shot down pretty quickly around here, and that 's good. There aren't quite enough kit reviews, but I can't use that as a complaint.

An RCU Magazine one day??? (g)
Old 04-22-2006, 08:17 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: blw

Any fluff or hype gets shot down pretty quickly around here...
Indeed. And its a beautiful thing when it happens.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:56 PM
GarySS

Well, a RCU magazine would have to be written or at least edited by scores of RCU participants to incorporate their opinions in the product or subject being presented. OTherwise it could just be another MAN type publication. By the time one thoroughly wades through a monster string (UCANDO or Great Planes Ultimate 1.60, cases in point) they know the pitfalls, and things to modify........its all for the good!!!.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Joe Nagy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Everyone;

My vote goes to FLYING MODELS magazine, the only one I buy nowadays; of course we all get the AMA mag MODEL AVIATION, but I have been purchasing FM since 1958, and still look forward to receiving every issue. I dropped MAN about 5 years ago.....nothing of any interest for me; + I do miss RCM also. Just one old timer's 2 cents worth, best regards to all from Thong Beach, Florida,

Joe Nagy.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:29 PM
blw

Well, you certainly wouldn't be reading gushing reviews on the UCanDo or Funtana during the times they shed wings and tail sections if RCU Magazine did the reviews by compilation. I can think of a few engines that wouldn't do well either judging by the comments of owners.

I remember a review in either MAN or FlyRC where the guy had to buy 2 P-38 profiles to complete the review. He crashed several times because his LA engines kept quitting and he couldn't control the landings. So, how did he wrap up the review? Great planes. Great engines. All highly recommended.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.