Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

My own runway

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 07:05 PM
LoneAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My own runway

I am a new guy here so watch out for this idiot. I'm getting into the rc airplanes. I'll be getting a gas trainer and would like to fly it around my home which is in the country. I have buffalo grass around the place but this past year was so dry that right now there is alot of dirt between the blades of grass.
My questions about a runway are: how smooth does it need to be? Is dirt going to get into my carb.? How important is it to be a N/S runway? On a real calm,or 5mph breeze, day can I takeoff/land going E/W? Is a sand driveway going E/W going to work? How long of a runway do I need?
All of these questions are simply asked because I can't wait to fly, and I would like to get some knowledge before talking to the guy that is going to train me. Maybe I just need a few lessons and I will beable to figure it all out.
Thanks guys
Merry Christmas
Old 12-16-2002, 07:26 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My own runway

First of all, direction really doesn't matter, although it's nice to be facing north, that way the sun is usually behind you.

Rather than answer all the questions about how much room you need, I would suggest you get together with your instructor and have him take you up wherever he suggests. You'll soon get the idea of what you need space/runway wise.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:22 PM
Crashem

Default My own runway

Minnflyer is correct after you have seen the club flied and maybe flown a little you will have a good idea how much room you need for takeoffs approachs and landings.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:31 PM
Frazzy
My Feedback: (1)

Default My own runway

LoneAl... Whereabouts in Scott county do you live? I live south of Tribune and fly off of buffalo grass also. Lets keep in touch.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:58 PM
LoneAL

Default Hello Frazzy

I'm south of Scott 8 miles and back east 2. Do you know anybody from Scott who rc flies? I know of only one, great guy and I'm really excited for him to teach me. He was my high school physics/chemistry teacher.
You guys were drier than we were, how is your grass? Mine around my shed is hurting bad, but that is where I drive alot of my equipment, tractors and semi's. There is alot of fine "blow" dirt in the grass that worries me. Can I put an air filter on my carb? I'm really new at this so don't laugh too hard, I haven't even unwrapped it yet. I've only seen the engine because my daughter unwrapped it for me to show me. I already knew about it, but it was still really funny. The are more excited about the plane than just about anything else. I have a 7yr old boy and 4yr old girl. Heres my email, lets keep in touch. [email protected]
Talk to you later.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:30 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My own runway

loneal, do yourself a big favor, hook up with a club and a instructor before you fly on your own, chances are if you fly by yourself for the first time, the plane will take off, but landing is another story, you could hit someone, or something, plus destroy the plane. 99.9999 % of the ama clubs dont charge for flight instructions. then after you have earned your wings, fly off of your land, as long as there are no other clubs with in 3 miles of your house
just some helpful hints

mark
pa fun flyers
Old 12-17-2002, 05:19 AM
Steve Guinn

Default My own runway

Yes, you can use air filters. I use the Bru-line on my .46FX and .70 Surpass. Every engine deserves clean air IMHO.

Check link below

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go