Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Fields near Newburgh NY

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Dorsil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fields near Newburgh NY

just breaking into the sport and granted the 40 min drive to the field im training at with an instructor is great for learning properly. I enjoy spectating just as much as the actual flying and was looking for Fields near Newburgh NY that I could check out and watch people fly and just go relax for a bit and see the planes/helis etc etc.

So if you know of any fields or RC Locations.. Please let me know =)

thanks

Drew
Old 05-02-2006, 11:31 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Fields near Newburgh NY

Drew, I used to be the VP of a club in Newburgh NY when I worked on those big C-5's at Stewart Airport

They are called the S.O.U.R.S.

Call CHRIS CURCIO at 845-733-5462
Old 05-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Dorsil

Thanks for the info. Where abouts did you guy go for outdoor flying?. definatly looking for just somewhere to go hangout on a nice weekend im not flying myself and watch some planes =)
Old 05-02-2006, 07:53 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Dorsil - Besides MinnFlyer's suggestion, try this as well. This is Bill Lee's [link=http://www.ama-dist-8.org/Clubs/Locator.php]AMA Club Locator.[/link] I used a zip of 12550 and 25 miles and it came up with 9 clubs. You'll find Minn's SULLIVAN ORANGE ULSTER RADIO SOCIETY in the list. If you see an added link in the upper right of the results that says "Link to GPS and Aerial Photos", you'll find some of my data with maps to the field as well as some other useful info I think.

Good Luck and Welcome to this WONDERFUL Sport
Old 05-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Dorsil

Yep i have just signed up tonight with the DUTCHESS R/C CLUB. Nice small field out of the way. Cool bunch of guys. I dont mind the 40 min drive to the field when im going to be trained and instructed.

Was just checking out any other possible fields to go and watch the planes apparently Im addicted already to this sport
Old 05-03-2006, 08:24 AM
MinnFlyer

I used to be a member of that club too (If it's the one I'm thinking of). I switched over to the SOURS because the Dutches Club had too many rules. If you didn't do it THEIR way, you were considered a troublemaker.

To give you an example, (And this is only ONE example) at a club meeting one time, a guy had the floor and was asking general knowledge questions. At one point he asked "What do you clean your planes with?"

He got a variety of answers from "409" to "Windex" to "Water with a drop of dish soap and a little Ammonia" - THAT was the answer he was looking for...

He went on to say how "Water with a drop of dish soap and a little Ammonia" works well, and is cheap etc. etc. so we should all be using that.

Well, I was just blowing him off and only half paying attention until he said, "So let's not see anymore of that 'Other Stuff' out there."

I couldn't believe what I had just heard. My immediate reaction was to say, "WHAT???"

His reply was, "It's cheap. easy to make, and it works well, so let's not see all of that commercially-bought stuff anymore"

I said, "I'll be damned if I'm going to be mixing up stuff when I can buy 409"

He looked me right in the eye and said, "What are you, a troublemaker?"

I would have laughed, but "Troublemaker" is something you heard a lot in that club, and you didn't want to pick up that lable, so I just kept quiet.

But that was the last time I had anything to do with those guys. I went right out and joined the SOURS
Old 05-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Dorsil

Sounds like im in for an interesting time lol =) Thanks for the heads up.. ill try not to... be a "Trouble maker" hehe

After reading the forums im really glad i just want to fly and really can care less about politics at this point and just go out and have fun
Old 06-28-2006, 09:55 AM
barronace
My Feedback: (5)

I HAVE BEEN IN THIS CLUB FOR 5 YEARS .ITS SMALL WITH NOT ALOT OF MEMBERS BUT WE ALL PULL TOGETHER TO KEEP IT GOING.
I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO A MEETING THAT YOU TALKED ABOUT OR HAVE WE EVER EXPERANCED ANY THING LIKE THIS. IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME SOMEBODY WAS BUSTING YOUR CHOPS AND YOU TOOK THE WRONG WAY. THATS CALLED NO SENSE OF HUMOR.
WE HAVE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS AND THEY ALL HELP EACH OTHER. NEW MEMBERS ARE WELCOME ALL THE TIME. ARE THERE RULS, YES JUST LIKE ANY CLUB. FIELD RULES FOR SAFE FLYING. THATS IT I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. MABEY ANY RULES OFFEND YOU. BEFOR YOU BAD MOUTH SOMEBODY OR A CLUB YOU HAD BETTER REAL KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT . MABEY ITS A GOOD THING YOU MOVED OUT OF STATE.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Ed

Whatever happened to the Kingston Aeromodelers ? []
Old 06-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Dorsil

After being part of the club for going on 2 months now. I must say its very much enjoyable. seems to be a nice bunch of guys and definitly having a blast... even if the weather sucks and i bairly get to fly.

I have found a few clubs nearby. One in Hopewell right across the river from me. and one over near Warwick. So ive got some options to check out. but ive kinda realized, I dont mind the 40 min drive to a peacefull field with usually the sky to myself =) Allows a new pilot like me to fly without the "eyes" checking my every move lol..

Old 06-29-2006, 09:08 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: barronace

I HAVE BEEN IN THIS CLUB FOR 5 YEARS .ITS SMALL WITH NOT ALOT OF MEMBERS BUT WE ALL PULL TOGETHER TO KEEP IT GOING.
I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO A MEETING THAT YOU TALKED ABOUT OR HAVE WE EVER EXPERANCED ANY THING LIKE THIS. IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME SOMEBODY WAS BUSTING YOUR CHOPS AND YOU TOOK THE WRONG WAY. THATS CALLED NO SENSE OF HUMOR.
WE HAVE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS AND THEY ALL HELP EACH OTHER. NEW MEMBERS ARE WELCOME ALL THE TIME. ARE THERE RULS, YES JUST LIKE ANY CLUB. FIELD RULES FOR SAFE FLYING. THATS IT I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. MABEY ANY RULES OFFEND YOU. BEFOR YOU BAD MOUTH SOMEBODY OR A CLUB YOU HAD BETTER REAL KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT . MABEY ITS A GOOD THING YOU MOVED OUT OF STATE.
Well, it's hard to argue with THAT.

I guess I have no sense of humor
Old 06-29-2006, 11:49 AM
MinnFlyer

Sorry... I tried, but I just couldn't let it go at that...

Rules. I can follow rules. I do it every day.

Now, keep in mind that I was in this club very briefly almost 20 years ago, so things may have changed, but...

here were some of their rules back then:

Tuesday night is Trainer Night - That means NO FLYING if any beginner's are there. Yup, a perfect night after 2 weeks of rain (With more rain in the future) and I was told to put my plane back in the car unless I was going to train someone.

Ok, I'll put my plane back in the car and train someone - Heck, buddy-boxing with a beginner is better than not flying at all, right?

"Nope" - "You're not allowed to train someone because you're not a designated Club Instructor"

Ok, I've been flying (At this point) for over 20 years, I am a "Designated Instructor" at my previous club, and these guys have all seen me fly Pattern, so what's it going to take to get designated? Maybe (<--note spelling) a 5 minute briefing?

"Nope" - "You need to go to Whatisname's house on Wednesday nights for 6 weeks of training - - - AND there's a class in session right now so you can start in 4 weeks when that one's over"

Say WHAT???... My son was coming to spend the summer with me in two weeks. I was planning to RESUME his training when he got there. So you're saying that I can't train my own SON how to fly???

"Yup" - "Not till you finish the training course 10 weeks from now"

That was the last time I set foot on that field. The following week I brought that incident up at the monthly meeting. SURELY I thought they would reconsider when they took into account that I was an excellent flier, AND a certified instructor in another club.

"Nope" - "We have rules and we stick by them"

Well, ya know, I can follow rules, but some rules they should "stick by" and some they can just "Stick"
Old 07-04-2006, 03:59 PM
barronace
My Feedback: (5)

I KNOW WHAT CLUB YOU WERE IN AND IT WAS NOT THIS ONE. I WAS IN THE SAME CLUB YOU WERE 18 YEARS AGO AND LEFT FOR THE SAME REASONS. I WAS A NEW FLYER AND BUILDING A PLANE. DO YOU THINK I COULD GET ANYBODY TO GIVE ME SOME OF THERE TIME, LIKE BUILDING QUESTIONS . NO!!!!!!!!!!! THEY WERE VERY RUDE AND I DID NOT ENJOY THE CLUB AT ALL. BECAUSE OF THAT I STAYED AWAY FROM THE HOBBIE FOR 12 YEARS. I FOUND THIS CLUB AND WAS JUST ABOUT DRAGED OUT TO THE FIELD TO FLY WHAT A DIFFERENCE. SORRY IF I INSULTED YOU MINNFLYER BUT THERE WAS NO WAY THE KIND OF TREATMENT YOU GOT CAME FROM DUTCHESS R/C THEY ARE A GREAT BUNCH AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN. THE OTHER CLUB I HAVE FROM WHAT I HEAR HAS GOTTEN BETTER.WHAT YOU EXPLANED SOUNDS JUST LIKE THE SAME CRAP THEY PUT ME THROUGH.