Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Moral dilemma(sp?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 02:12 AM
holyowned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moral dilemma(sp?)

Out flying yesterday. Turned too wide on final, and put plane in tree. Total damage;
One rib, from main spar to leading edge, same rib, from aft spar to trailing edge. Leading edge is broken, but it can be CA'd - no lost wood. Several holes in monokote from limbs.
Brought plane home, wifette saw it and, "Oh, Baby, your plane!"
Dilemma: do I play the pity card for a new bird, or do I spend the hour or so to fix this and let the pity build interest?
Old 12-17-2002, 02:29 AM
nun45
My Feedback: (1)

pity sounds kinda fun for a little while till you find the "resources" to repair, lol.---henry
Old 12-17-2002, 02:31 AM
Tattoo

It hit the tree so hard that you probably need a new flight pack and engine too
Old 12-17-2002, 02:43 AM
LarryC

holyowned

I wonder if it might be better to fix the bird and use the interest to buy a chainsaw!?

Larry
Old 12-17-2002, 03:32 AM
slvrbandit

I like the chainsaw idea. There's always that one tree that has a plane magnet in it.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:23 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, enough joking around, we gotta be careful here and play this one right...

If we play the pity card, we can get a new plane, BUT... The pity card is then spent! And it was spent on a repairable plane.

I say hold on to the pity card for now and play the sympathy card, which can be filled with a little TLC (Snuggling, getting you a little snack, and just generally pampering you for a day or two). Then rebuild the plane, and hold on to the pity card for when you REALLY need it! (Aww honey, it's smashed to pieces It's WAY beyond repair! [sniff])
Old 12-17-2002, 03:09 PM
glowplug

I think Minn makes an excellent point here.....

Mike
Old 12-17-2002, 04:05 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by MinnFlyer
Ok, enough joking around, we gotta be careful here and play this one right...

If we play the pity card, we can get a new plane, BUT... The pity card is then spent! And it was spent on a repairable plane.

I say hold on to the pity card for now and play the sympathy card, which can be filled with a little TLC (Snuggling, getting you a little snack, and just generally pampering you for a day or two). Then rebuild the plane, and hold on to the pity card for when you REALLY need it! (Aww honey, it's smashed to pieces It's WAY beyond repair! [sniff])

You are forgetting that the pity card has an expiration date and time (usually 24 hours from receipt).

So, jump on the pity card, repair the plane, then use the new plane to justify needing equipment to fly it with.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:22 PM
MinnFlyer

Yes, but you get a new pity card with each crash. But once it has been played, you don't get any more. After it has been played, you only get either a "I told you so" card, or a "Go directly back to the drawing board" card. Do NOT pass GO, Do NOT spend another 200 dollars!
Old 12-18-2002, 04:06 AM
wrbirch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moral dilemma ???????????
I thought all was fair in love and Flying......
Old 12-18-2002, 04:54 AM
digger.10

Default Limited supply?

MinnFlyer, I agreed right down the line with your first post, but
Yes, but you get a new pity card with each crash.
could be argued... are we sure there is an Unlimited Supply of pity cards? Don't forget, there are a number of factors involved in the supply and demand of this precious resource, not all of them related directly to flying.

I have found after 6 years on the pity card system that the available reserve is directly related to maintenance and upkeep of the issuer of the pity cards; should this have been neglected for too long a time you are apt to find your reserves short.

In this case you may be able to turn interest on the card, stoically refusing it even though, yes, the thing is probably smashed beyond repair but you'll do your best, etc. The P card reserve will increase due to your perceived sacrifice for the good of the tribe (and it's Chief!).

And then there could be a Christmas Bonus P card, if extended repairs were keeping you out of the sky too long...
Old 12-18-2002, 03:42 PM
MinnFlyer

You're absolutely right Digger, I just didn't want to type all that!
Old 12-18-2002, 05:49 PM
zapper

After an unfortunate flying incident, stop on the way home and buy flowers for the wife. With flowers in one hand and bent plane in the other say "Here Honey, I just wanted to make sure that one of us has had a good day"......Huge dividends gentlemen, huge.....
Old 12-18-2002, 07:04 PM
Mettler1

Default Re: Moral dilemma(sp?)

Originally posted by holyowned
Out flying yesterday. Turned too wide on final, and put plane in tree. Total damage;
One rib, from main spar to leading edge, same rib, from aft spar to trailing edge. Leading edge is broken, but it can be CA'd - no lost wood. Several holes in monokote from limbs.
Brought plane home, wifette saw it and, "Oh, Baby, your plane!"
Dilemma: do I play the pity card for a new bird, or do I spend the hour or so to fix this and let the pity build interest?
You can play the pity card but remember the ladys have memories that last forever and somewhere down the road you will pay. The pity card is NOT free!!!!
Old 12-18-2002, 07:05 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Minn..........YOU DA MAN!!!!
Old 12-18-2002, 11:00 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

holyowned - is the kid drinking or eating from that bowl? :stupid:
I have to know.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:48 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man....I hope you guys are just kidding about the whole pity thing just to get some more R/C stuff........

Bob
Old 12-19-2002, 12:43 AM
zapper

I was kidding about the flowers....I crash, I buy a new plane, the wife could care less....
Old 12-19-2002, 03:28 PM
grazzhopper

Default sloper,

I was just about to comment that YOU really had the smartest idea, but then you went and told the truth.
Order the plane, struggle like hell to fix the basher, reel in all the symp you can, and pay the piper when she sees the bill.
Marriage Counseling 101:
If you got a pair, apologize for it, and move on. If you don't have a pair, make him pay for it, and move on. Works every time, if you move on!
Old 12-19-2002, 04:32 PM
zapper

Ah young grazzhopper, we have probably been married longer than most of the posters here. As long as I stay at the approximate expense level that have attained in this hobby, then all is well. If I begin crashing $10,000.00 worth of turbine every weekend then, I assure you, "The Skies" would darken....
Old 12-19-2002, 07:27 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say fix it and play the pity card later.....inbetween make sure she gets some 'attention'

Jerry
Old 12-20-2002, 01:24 AM
ctdahle

Originally posted by sloper10
After an unfortunate flying incident, stop on the way home and buy flowers for the wife. With flowers in one hand and bent plane in the other say "Here Honey, I just wanted to make sure that one of us has had a good day"......Huge dividends gentlemen, huge.....
Hey, you stole that one from MY playbook!
Old 12-20-2002, 02:44 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a risky method but the rewards are high: Inform her that you are considering getting out of the hobby and want to pick up xxxxxxx (something expensive like golf or bass fishing). Be very obvious while looking at gear for that, like a 500 dollar set of clubs. Then tell her that you're reconsidering staying in the hobby and would only have to spend 200 on a new plane. You can repair your plane after a while; by the time you get it going she will have forgotten about the while thing and all will be well.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:33 PM
grazzhopper

Default Yes, alas yes...

All my life, it seems...Good one Falcon, but that is a $500 club...the set is considerably more these days, that is, the ones worth having! And the best value in Bass boats, sans motor, is about....Well honey, as usual, you're right again. I'll just get the plane and be satisfied! You're always so sensible.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:36 PM
Cabane
My Feedback: (2)

Default SO

what did you do Holyowned?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.