Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The Wonder of Real Flight

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 02:32 PM
Low Wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Wonder of Real Flight

Two year's ago I purchased three things coming into this hobby...(1) an electric Fire Bird...(2) an Avistar trainer with a LA 40 size motor...(3) the Great plane's Real Flight simulator...I flew the Fire Bird the day I got it and sat on the Avistar for two month's...After getting all my permits AMA membership and asking a million question's at our field I went on a buddy box with our President Scott(so I didn't kill anybody)...The next time out I was flying alone... People would tell me how they had never seen anyone do so well and learn so fast...Well I had to tell them all ( I hated to do it) that it was the time I spent on the simulator that pushed me around much of the learning curve...Anyone out there also come the way of the simulator...
Old 12-18-2002, 03:48 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Living in Sim

Realflight is, and isn't alot of things. I use it a little each day to keep the brain and fingers moving in the right directions. Some guys won't like it because it doesn't seem or feel real. What it feels like at times is not so critical as the fact that a control input is a control input is a control input! They will always be real and don't change from maneuver to maneuver. An example would be rolling circles left and right, rolling loops in both directions, slow and point rolls etc. I hope you get the point and keep using the sim. There is alot to be said for spaced repitition education and simulation. Happy Holidays_bob
Old 12-18-2002, 05:31 PM
Low Wing

Default Oh Yeah

Yep I hear ya...I don't fly airplanes on the simulator anymore, but I do practice the helicopter all the time now that I have an Ergo 46...What I liked about the simulator is you get a grip on your orientation...I think they are even more valuable for learning how to fly helicopters's, because there are every changing orientations with heli-flying...I think simulator's are great for starting up and I highly recommend them...After gallons of fuel and hours in the air, I have yet to have a major crash...Simulator's are great for your first steps...But' the real learning come's from time in the air at the field...
Old 12-18-2002, 09:38 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They didn't have sims when I learned, or computers for that matter. I do use it for my heli a lot though. They are great. I saw a kid at the lake last year do an initial flight on a trainer. He had never flown before and would not take help. He took off toward the lake from his front yard, flew it and landed again without killing anyone or the plane. He said he used the sim a lot. He is either pulling my leg, or is lucky or good. Pretty interesting though.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:58 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

One of the guys I fly with is 100% self taught, thanks to RFG2. The first day he brought his trainer out (a Durabrick with an OS .40FP, by God) I'd forgotten to bring along my trainer cord.

I helped him check CG, throws, engine settings, etc. I maidened it, trimmed it out, landed it. He wanted to take it up; I didn't think it would be a good idea for a first flight with no buddy cord, but hey! its your plane - I'll grab the box if you have problems.

He took the tx, lined up with the runway, took off, flew a couple of circuits, landed. I think I gave him five pointers during that flight, most of them concerning the landing - keeping the airspeed up, when to flare, etc. Never had to touch the box.

Heck, my ability to fly helis is 100% due to RFG2.

These days, when an interested party asks me "what do I need in order learn R/C" a simulator is on the list. It does make a difference.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:47 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definately.
The major cause of newbie crashes is just plain dumbthumbs caused by disorientation. Spend a couple weeks on a sim, and you won't have to think about which way to push the sticks. I becomes instinctive, just like using your mouse has become instinctive. Are you thinking, "OK hand, move the mouse over there"? Imagine how much easier your first RC flight would have been without any orientation issues whatsoever.
G2 is awesome.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:17 AM
easymoney

Yep... one of the Wonders of RealFlight is its PRICE !!!

Its is only good for first time training but there are other free sims that can serve the same purpose, like FMS.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:42 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gentlemen:

I have found another excellent use for RF G2.

I suppose I could make you guess, but I'll save time and tell you.

I am a scratch builder. A real scratch builder, not a plan builder.

Work out your design using a cad program, TLAR, or anything in between. Plug the numbers into RF, and see how it flies. Alter as necessary and try again. Gentlemen, it works. It is a H**L of a lot easier than building several variants of this and that, and so far, every one off the boards using this cheat has been a good plane. A tool well worth the $200 price.

Design your twin on RF, better than getting another ARF

Bill.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:21 PM
ben flyn

Me too! I flew the first time with no help and I still fly on it every day. I can torque roll on it, but I can't do it with the models yet.

When I first began to fly, the guys at the field were amazed that I learned sooo quickly. So I came out to the field to break in my first engine. In the excitement, I forgot to pull my frequency pin then I heard from one of the guys..."did you learn that on your simulator"?
Old 12-19-2002, 02:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been flying for 6 years now and just recently got RFG2. So far the simulator has been invaluable as a tool for my flying skills. By using the sim I have been able to work out the bugs on several maneuvers that I have always had trouble with. So for me it's been worth every penny. Also, my son (who is training now) has learned to land on the sim. We'll find out how that translates into the real world whenever the weather cooperates with us and lets us fly again.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:18 PM
cwesh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had been away from flying for about 20 years, and recently got RFG2. Been flying it to re-aquire my skills and have to say it was a HUGE help. First time I tried G2, I crashed on takeoff with the PT-40. Now I can scream around with the Harrier with ease.

In the past month, I have re-built by Sig Kadet Mk1 and a Great Planes PT-E.

Yesterday (12-18-02) was the "big" day. Made it out to the flying field and 4 had excellent flights with both planes. I am back! Even had to deadstick the Kadet due to engine failure, guess 20 years on the shelf for a K&B 40 was a bit much, but the landing was on the runway center line and was one of the best landings I had ever done. Just greased it on!

If it wasn't for the simulator, I would have re-kitted both of them.

Now, on to my Mig 29!

Later!
Old 12-19-2002, 03:27 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by easymoney
Yep... Its is only good for first time training .
Not even close. I'll bet more than half of them are sold to people who already know how to fly. Everyone that I know that has it has been flying for some time. They are used for many things besides training. The price is not bad for what you get.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:42 PM
Low Wing

Default Water proof

Real Flight is great when it's raining outside and you wanna fly to...
Old 12-19-2002, 11:28 PM
rusgmil

Default Real Flight and multi engine flying

Real Flight can be a great training aid for twin and multi engine flying. Try this: set "pilot behind aircraft", after you retract the gear hit the kill engine (K) key. One engine will randomly shut down. You can observe the model yaw towards the dead engine. As in full scale flying, if you try to stop the turn with aileron the model will spin in when the speed bleeds off (This is called VMC speed). You have to hold rudder to keep it straight and flying. With the gear and flaps up you can slowly climb. Gear and flaps down and you can't hold altitude, just like full scale. For more fun, fly the B-17 and every time you hit the K key one engine will randomly shut down. (They will windmill for a while). With two engines on one side shut down it takes a lot of rudder to keep her straight.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:39 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rus:

Very true. But don't forget to back to "Fixed pilot position" and do some more engine out practice.

ALL:

Recheck my post, #8. It was worded wrong, I have edited it. Should have been EVERY plane has been a good flyer off the board using RF to check the design.

A twin? You're IN!

Bill.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:37 AM
Live Wire

RF Is a great tool if you do not fly on a blank screen. G2 can be set so you can fly with ground in view. If you do not keep graphics in veiw you do not have the real sensation of flying. Have used RFG2 for many years and have emproved control, and sharpens reflexis.
SAVED BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4
Old 12-21-2002, 11:12 PM
Nitro Blast
My Feedback: (2)

I learned Fixed wings without anyone's help (bad idea) after being a U/C guy for a bit. After getting the Heli bug I bought a GMP cricket, and it may have lasted 15 minutes... I bought the old school RC Aerochopper and got good enuf to replace the cricket with a Concept 30, which is still alive today. I now have 4 more Nexus birds, and JUST bought G2.

WHy? cause my dad has that version, and I thought it was SO darn fun to try other planes before buying them.

Crash factor? ZERO!

It gives me the confidence to do inverted passes 1 ft above the deck without fear, and learn new manuvers without worrying that I was gonna put my Extra into the tarmack like I did showing off for the old man some time ago.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:46 AM
BTM

RF is a great tool for killing boredom during these lousy Michigan winters.
I like to fly off of the snow, but it can be a hassle to put on the long johns, etc.
Flying in the winter while wearing a robe and drinking a cup of coffee is alright with me.