Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

for a kids birthday present?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

for a kids birthday present?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Charles88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for a kids birthday present?

I was wondering what everyone thought about a product such as this for a complete beginner at RC flying. I am worried about my young son crashing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzeM5VjTy0
Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: for a kids birthday present?

It looks like fun. It is not possible to crash, as it looks. Once he gets older, get him a real foam RC plane.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:49 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It looks very possible to crash unless there's some kind of sensor to make it pull up when it gets near the ground. Tethered RC is nothing new, but this is a neat easy version of it. If you are wanting something to turn him loose with where he won't be disappointed I'd recommend the Parkzone Vapor and the Blade MCX. The Vapor is a super light full featured RC plane that flies so slow it's hard to break, but don't take it outside if there's enough wind to make smoke not rise straight up. The EFlight Blade MCX is a little helicopter that will hover itself through a whole battery if no wind disturbs it. It is also an indoor vehicle, but much easier to handle in small spaces. My 4 year old daughter flies mine, and even though she hits the wall sometimes it's only been broken twice ($4 fix both times).
Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 AM
STUKA BARRY

After 5 seconds of that video, I was both bored and dizzy. Cant amagine a youngin havin too much of an attention span with that. I'd suggest investing in a GreatPlanes flight simulator if you think RC is in his future.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I just saw these at Toys R Us yesterday. I was blown away at the $60 price tag for ONE of these planes...and I didn't have any clue that it just goes round and round either..... how blah is that.. I really think $60 is absolutely outrageous though.

It was the "MissAmerica" version that caught my eye.. and my grand-daughter and wife were a few isles over.. so I grabbed the box and dashed to a price scanner... yep.. 60 bones.. not worth it.. and yes.. I'd worry about it crashing... at that price. Remember thats just for one of these things.. to have any fun at all you'd have to have at least 2... and I can't think of a better way to waste money then to get 2 of these.

One of these simply going round and round would be very boring after 3 minutes... and I really don't expect them to go as fast as that video does either... its amazing what they can do with video these days..haha..

You didn't say how old your son is.. but theres better deals out there then these.. $60 can go a ways in RC.. Theres some pretty cool indoor RC heli's that fly really well for about half that... and very durable too.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 AM
whirleytwirley

How old is your son? Maybe start him off with some guillow sheet balsa planes and see if hes into it. Those little rubbet plans in a bag tought me lots about trimming a plane.