Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Help me identify this Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Help me identify this Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me identify this Mustang

i bought this airplane from a buddy .. 2 years ago.. it heavy from what i hear the original owner built it in the 70's...never flown.. great condition the only rash is a small crack in the paint.. it has the old timers glue stuff that its built w/ .. i cant spell it so i wont try... throw are fine except the ailerons.. they would need working...i put servos in w/ heavy mods .. to the try ... i dont know if ill ever fly this bird since it is heavy.. heres pics..what i really need is info on the plane.. specs...etc...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20815.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	464211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58405.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	464212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94027.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	464213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20662.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	464214  
Old 05-20-2006, 07:05 PM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Help me identify this Mustang

Post this question on that other site that I read about this on. I'm sure someone will know.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:00 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

This plane was designed by pattern legend Jim Kirkland in the early 70's. It's not intended to be
"scale", just resemble a Mustang with the emphasis on flying.
It was designed at a time when several top pattern fliers experimented with scaled down 60 size models to 40 size models for top class pattern competition! Back then pattern was accessable for the masses, and most guys flew models similar to what the top guys flew. Trying 40 size was an attempt to draw even more
guys into the game. Within a few years everyone was back with 60 size planes.
Other models from this same era as this Mustang-X were the Gator Flea (scaled down Compensator) and Bobcat (scaled down TigerTail). These designers were mainly from the Southeast.

Kept light these flew well, if you have one that was built heavy and painted heavy it may not fly well at all.

If you could move this thread to the "Classic Pattern" forum I'm sure you will get a wealth of information on this model and Jim Kirkland.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Chris-_-Memphis

wow thank you for that info... i say its built heavy..but ive never put it on a scale...its heavy as opposed to todays birds...thanks for the info tho...maybe a mod can move this thread...
Old 05-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RC models were built on the heavy side back in the 70's. The motors we had to play with back then weren't anywhere near what is available today, in weight and power, so to fly the larger RC models with those engines meant moving up to an engine with more power to be able to haul the weight around. And the planes needed to be built stronger to handle the stress loads. I assume that much of the work on designs were probably influenced by Control Line planes. It used to be said about RC planes from that era, that a lot of those fuselages could be taken to the Ball Park and used for Batting Practice they were so strong. When Jim came out with that particular model I thought surely he had lost his mind, putting a trike gear on a Mustang! But who was I to critize the great Kirkland? Besides, I couldn't afford one to begin with. We've surely come a long way, thanks to the likes of Jim Kirkland and countless others. Put that plane on some scales and let us know how much it weighs, will you? Just curious. Grampaw
Old 05-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

grampaw.........i will take it somewhere and get it weighed..i just tried it on the bathroom scale and it gave me two readings so i dont think it accurate...give me a week or two to get it to a kinkos or pak mail office.. thanks for the info on this plane... i am learning more and more about it... maybe i could make it electric..that would save weight and still give me more power than a glow motor... i just hate to see this plane stay hanging on the wall