Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Favorite Mis-Spelled Words

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Favorite Mis-Spelled Words

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 04:38 PM
AlphaWhisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Favorite Mis-Spelled Words

Bill,

In my book more than one tomato becomes tomatoes, likewise, lotsa spuds are potatoes.....

I guess it all depends where you come from as to how much you get to butcher the Queen`s ENGLISH.

Maybe this colourful manoeuvring centred on the ENGLISH language is the result of too much poetic licence?

Alan W
Old 05-29-2006, 04:51 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Alan:

My Harbrace College Handbook says"...when a noun ends with a vowel the plural is formed by the addition of an s..." There's no exception for a tomato or potato. Or are you sying that when you have two tomatos they grow pedal digits? Haw. One "Toe," ten "Toes." One "Torpedo," four "Torpedos."

Bill.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:56 PM
AlphaWhisky

Bill,

Like I sez, I guess it depends on where you come from and how you were brung up.....

My British Collins dictionary confirms the way I was brought up with tomatoes and potatoes. Likewise it also dictates that if you have more than one torpedo you have torpedoes. As a matter of interest, it also mentions that the act of torpedoing can result in being torpedoed....

Alan []

Old 05-29-2006, 06:17 PM
William Robison

Alan:

"Torpedoed" and "Torpedoing" are both considered correct. And if an audience of your thespian performance expresses its displeasure by casting overripe fruits at you, you then may well have been "Tomatoed."

Haw.

The two "Torpedo" forms are considered correct in modern useage even though both are using a noun as a verb. These forms go back many years, "Torpedoed" more thsn 100 years, "Torpedoing" about 65. However in "Classic" English they are both errors "Tomatoed" falls in the same category.

You might bring up the verb "To go." There "I go," and "He goes." In this case the addition of "Es" is correct, but remember that's a verb forn, not forming a plural.

Bill.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:35 PM
AlphaWhisky

Bill,

I`ll consider myself mildly tomatoed, but not torpedoed and I`ll not concede.

It`s a cracker day here in godzone so I`m away for a fly.....

Alan
Old 05-29-2006, 06:41 PM
William Robison

Alan:

I really think we've gone as far as we should on the tomatos, unless they are good looking and wearing skimpy bathing suits. Or wearing nothing.

But that's not a subject for RCU anyway...

Bill.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:49 PM
AlphaWhisky

Bill,

I trust you`re not manoeuvring this around to RCM v RC Report covers.......

I`m away for that fly - shouldn`t you be in bed?

Alan
Old 05-29-2006, 07:42 PM
William Robison

Alan:

RCM covers? Now there's a thought. But no, they are already in another thread. Maybe RC_Report covers, but there's not enough good ones yet.

In the meantime here is an even dozen tomatos for your viewing pleasure. Some airplanes there too.

Haw.

Bill.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74751.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	468342  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:22 PM
AlphaWhisky

Bill,

Are we getting sidetracked here? I`ve got most of them.

Your twelve and I`ll raise you a dozen.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81248.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	468413  
Old 05-30-2006, 08:22 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahem...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4331202/tm.htm
Old 05-30-2006, 11:16 AM
William Robison

Mike:

Wow.

Who makes fusalodge exit guides (teflon/plastic) for elevator pull-pull cables?
Where can I buy cable exit guides?
Any harm using cable exit guides with cavlar?
If he means "Fusslodge," a vacdation spot for people who like to complain, then I'd say it was the guests who put the make on the guides. But I’d say the main use of their exit guides was leading drunken guests to the airport. No idea what the guides would have to do with the lift cables of the elevator. I’d think the people who installed the elevator in the building would have taken care of that.

And if I were a guide there I'd welcome a guest using some nice Beluga Caviar in trying to seduce me. The only problems would arise if my wife found out.

Haw.

Seriously, I know he meant “Fuselage,†but I haven’t made any sense out of using exit guides with fish eggs (caviar).

Bill.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:22 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

how bout the guys that call it a fuselidge? HAW!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And the airplanes body is a "fuse", not a "fuze". You prounounce it like "juice", not like "booze". Though many would prefer a little of the latter over a flask of the former.

("and the chalice from the palace has the drink full of malice, while the flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true") [from a movie --I can't remember the title, heh, heh]
Old 05-31-2006, 01:37 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bax, that was Danny Kaye in "The Court Jester" (1956)

and then there's:

well finally got a chance to mainden my alpha 40 after a few adjustments at feild.had to replace muffler gasket where it connects to eng.ok eng tuned and off i go after i did all the flight checks and all.had to do a lil trim here and there.and found out the 40 is nuthing like the alpha 60.the 40 is not as near as as stable as the 60.anyways i found myself easyly geting inverted.not a good thing.well ended up going inverted without me noing due to the small size trainer and my stick time.kept trying to pull her up and she kept going down.all i needed to do was push the elevater stick up instead down to get out of the invert but i did not no i was inverted.found the 40 on its back side with eng burryed in very soft dirt in cotton feild.not much damage luckly.just lost a hunk out of wing,loose firewall and broken prop.i would not recommend this trainer to no one.spend the extra dough and get the much larger alpha 60 u will think me.gonna do the repairs tonight and have her up again in morning if all goes well.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:55 PM
William Robison

Mike:

Let's not be quoting complete posts here. No matter what you come up with in an airplane forum, almost any post in R/C cars will be worse.

It seems that almost total illiteracy with the accompanying lack of spelling and grammar skills are prerequisites to operating an R/CF car.

When they make a purchase it would not surprise me if they could only point to indicate their selection, their speech skills being equally as good as their writing facility.

Bill.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:57 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

What gets me is when someone says "...no pun intended..." when there's no pun within 50 miles.

And my username on that other forum is "causeitflys".
Old 05-31-2006, 02:13 PM
William Robison

Mark P:

The common weal requires a common language for the common people to understand everyday common talk. Doesn't matter whether it's a common anecdote delivered by common a cater or a pedeagogic dissertation.

And yes, this was a deliberate homophone, perhaps a pun.

Bad enough?

Haw.

Bill.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:18 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Homophone"? As in, "E.T., homophone"?

Nyuk, nyuk.

I see the good folks at Aerofly are promoting its "realizm". Pleaze!!

This is phun ... to eazy tho.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:26 PM
William Robison

Mike P:

I really think E.T. was asexual, but a homophone could be what Liberace and Rock Hudson used when they wanted to talk.

Sorry 'bout that. No, not really.

Bill.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:49 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Alan:

"Torpedoed" and "Torpedoing" are both considered correct. And if an audience of your thespian performance expresses its displeasure by casting overripe fruits at you, you then may well have been "Tomatoed."

Haw.

The two "Torpedo" forms are considered correct in modern useage even though both are using a noun as a verb. These forms go back many years, "Torpedoed" more thsn 100 years, "Torpedoing" about 65. However in "Classic" English they are both errors "Tomatoed" falls in the same category.

You might bring up the verb "To go." There "I go," and "He goes." In this case the addition of "Es" is correct, but remember that's a verb forn, not forming a plural.

Bill.
And from a retired Master Chief Torpedoman;

It would depend on whether you were on the giving, or receiving end of that Torpedo.

My main question is: Why do we American english speakers tend to leave out the letter, "U", in our spelling. Words such a Favourite, and Colour? So which is actually correct, Color, or Colour? Favorite, or Favourite? I suppose that we could get quite a few votes for both. Depending upon from which side of the pond one comes.

Don't you love when folk end sentences with a proposition? Such as Depending upon which side of the pond one comes from, or Where did you get that at?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 06-03-2006, 04:55 AM
AlphaWhisky

Bill,

Here downunder in godzone, my generation was brought up under the widespread influence of Mother England in most things, although that close bond seems to have gone by the wayside since they got involved with the EU.

English as she is spoke, and spelled, was a big deal when I was a kid at school many moons ago. It amuses me to think how those crusty old teachers would react to today`s generation with their cellphone texting etc. Pity I`m not into all that, I`d trade a prEposition for a proposition anyday......

Alan W
Old 06-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Why is it I have no faith in the advice given by someone who misspells or has bad grammar? They may be a wiz at mechanical things but the inability to express themselves leaves me reluctant to follow their advice. If they can't capitalize "I" well, can they really pick a propeller size. (Rhetorical question.) [&o]
Old 06-15-2006, 08:08 PM
William Robison

Stripes:

Ugreee wiss ewe I muss. Uh gud Komannd uv thee langwage is nessary to kunvay infirmashun akrattlee.Lakking the wurds their wil all ways bee ambigewitez reemayning.

And you should have heard my spell checker screaming about that last paragraph!

Seriously, if the instructor can not express himself well, he will be an ineffective instructor.

Bill.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:02 AM
ClemenTang

Knowledge, organization, accuracy.

Clement
Old 06-16-2006, 06:58 AM
Strawhat Mike

All my hobbies have active internet fora, which are all populated with old(er) guys who are mostly retired from responsible jobs and who are pretty savvy, articulate, and vaguely condescending.

This is one of them.

-- Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.