Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Aviation under siege

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 06:04 PM
M Gill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aviation under siege

I have just donated several thousand model airplane magazines in the name of my late father (Chuck Gill) to the:

Aviation Hall of Fame & Museum of New Jersey
400 Fred Wehran Dr.
Teterboro Airport
Teterboro, NJ 07608
(201)-288-6344
Jeff Herne-Director

I have now been to several museums, airports, and R/C flying fields and the story is the same all over. The local town/state is trying to shut down our local field/airport for this reason or that.

You all know these stories, you have several of them yourself.

What can we do?

I do not know, but let me say this. Now that the NJ aviation museum now has thousands of model magazines, I hope that some modelers will visit it and donate time and money and use this valuable resource (the mags will be cataloged and processed by spring).

As far as YOUR local field/airport, Call them, talk to them, open up a dialogue on how to generate public interest. Maybe we should focus on how we can open up these sites to the public so that our aviation history will not be lost to the ravages of time and disinterest.

Our local R/C club volunteers at the local Airport during their "open House". They bring planes and put on static and flying displays for the public and this adds to the whole event.

Is your club involved with organizations like 4H? maybe they can be an ally when it comes time for your town/state to try to take your field/airport.

Please, any other thoughts? Any other actions?
What can we do that we are not already doing?

Mace Gill
The Aeroplane Works
Old 12-21-2002, 03:33 PM
STUKA BARRY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aviation under siege

MACE, I COMMEND YOU ON SUCH A NOBEL GESTURE. YOUR FATHER WAS A GREAT INSPIRATION TO THE WORLD OF RADIO CONTROL. I HOPE THIS IDEA OF YOURS BRINGS IN MANY NEW MEMBERS. ITS A SHAME THAT THE AMA DOES'NT PARTICIPATE AS MUCH AS THEY SHOULD. PASSING OUT OLD MODEL MAGAZINES TO THE CIVILIAN WORLD IS A GREAT START.