Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

New Flyer, Need Good Beginner Plane

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New Flyer, Need Good Beginner Plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 03:57 AM
jgomez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Flyer, Need Good Beginner Plane

I am wanting to start flying planes as a hobby. I have considered getting the aero cruiser by hobbico. It comes with everything needed to fly. At least that is what it says. I want a plane that I can reuse the engine, radio, etc.

Is is a good plane to begin with?

What kind of plane should I look at buying?

Is $175 a reasonable price for this plane and accesories?

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2002, 03:00 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It depends on where you want to go in this hobby. The aero cruiser by hobbico is an electric, that means it doesn't have an "engine" it has a battery powered electric motor. It also comes with a 3 channel radio, most R/C pilots prefer at LEAST 4 channels.

So while this may be fun for some people, if you're looking for something that you can grow with (and can grow with you) this is NOT the thing you want.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:46 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Their are several good entry level planes out there that come with engine and radio installed and need a minimum of assembly to be airworthy. most are in the 300.00 range. For example, the Tiger Trainer by Thunder Tiger is a "40" size trainer that can be ready in one evening to fly and is in that price range. However, I would recommend that, unless you have some help from an experienced rc pilot, you take that 175.00 dallars and invest in the great planes g2 simulator and fly that until you can consistently get up and down without incident. My brother used it to learn helicopters successfully. There is nothing like the real thing, but this is close. There is a good forum on sims in this site. Check it out. So many over the years i've seen take their new investment out and re-kit it in 30 seconds or less, say "what the he...........was I thinking, and you never see them again. Very sad. There is ton of fun to be had in this hobby but do yourself a favor, and keep doing your homework, fly the sim, buy good but simple equipment ( 4 Chanel), a nice size ( 40 or larger engine with a 56" or so wing) airplane that you can see in the air, seek help, and have a ball.