The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

what kind of plane is it?

Old 07-07-2002, 08:59 AM
Rc Aro Planes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default what kind of plane is it?

I bought this plane two years ago at a yard sale, and it has been hanging up for a long time. A week ago I started fixing it up, Trying to get it ready for flight. One thing has stopped me, I don't have a travel adjustment chart, or for that matter I don't even know what kind of plane it is. If I knew what kind of plane it is I could search the net and probably find a chart. If you know what kind of plane it is please let me know. thanks for your help

<----------------------------- image ------------------------------------->
http://members.aol.com/rcaroplanes/p...js_lowwing.jpg
<----------------------------- image ------------------------------------->
Old 07-07-2002, 06:37 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't positively identify the plane... looks like a spin-off from the Cap 232 or Extra 300 types.

A general setup which should work is 15 deg upward and 10 deg downward deflection for the ailerons, and 20 deg each way on the elevaor, 25 deg each way on the rudder. Set dual rates for elevator and ailerons at 50%, if your radio has that capability. This should be a relatively mild setup, but adequate for some precision aerobatics, but not nearly adequate for fun fly maneuvers or attempting to "Hover." (the aileron differential may be excessive for precision aerobatics with that design...)

If no one comes up with a better method... put the CG 25 % of the distance from LE to TE at the wing root. Expect it to be a little noseheavy. (which is MUCH safer than tailheavy... but impedes aerobatic performance.) Then you can move the CG rearward slowly to where the plane trims correctly.

Any setup chart you find is just a recommended STARTING point, and the individual modeler will want to change the throws to meet his/her needs/desires anyway... You just want to be certain that the throws are adequate to give decent first flight response, and the closer they are to correct for the plane... the less you'll need to adjust to fine tune it to your style.

For others to have a better chance of positively ID'ing the plane... the engine used, wingspan and any other info you could give would help.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:09 AM
digger.10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks like you're right, verymad, although I am a bit suspicious of the Futaba name...I have been flying in Japan for 10 years and have never seen a "Futaba" plane...
Old 07-08-2002, 08:36 AM
Rc Aro Planes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes the arf covering says "copyright Futaba" It is a Futaba plane
even the markings are the same!!! Futaba's Acrostar! Thanks so much. Everyone on this site is great! I wasn't aware that Futaba made planes either.

thanks again... I can't wait to get this plane in the air.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:23 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba Models

When I saw the picture, my first thought was that it was a Futaba model but I could not remember the name. I remember seeing pictures of it before but that was several years ago. Futaba also made a trainer with semi-symmetrical wings called a "Professor". It was a nice plane but was a little too agile to be a decent first plane.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:35 AM
Rc Aro Planes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

here are the specs off the web site

Length: 56.5" (1,480mm)

Wing Span: 67.75" (1,720mm)

Wing area: 806sq in. (52dm)

Weight: 150 to 160 oz (4.3 to 4.5kg)

Engine: 120 - 160 (2c or 4c)

My only question now is the engine in my plane says "Super Tiger 75" Is that enough engine? The only engine I have experience with is the MDS 40 in my trainer.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:02 PM
Rc Aro Planes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok...

The web site's physical size of the plane was about 10" bigger than mine on wing span and length.... My only hope is that they made two sizes? I hope that my plane will fly with that motor. Is there a way of calculating engine size for a model?
Old 07-08-2002, 10:09 PM
digger.10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can figure the approximate engine size needed by weighing the plane and calculating the wing area--for example a 5 lb. plane with 500 sq. in. of wing area will probably want about a .50, a 7 lb. plane with 700 sq. in. will take a .70, etc... This is of course a very rough method and there's other things to consider such as what type of plane it is. For what you have, I'd say that if you weigh in around 6-6 1/2 lbs. dry with the engine and everything else installed then the ST .75 should work fine. These days everyone wants to overpower their planes anyway, the ST should get it off the ground so try it and see. You can always install a bigger engine later.

Was the plane flown with the engine that's in it now?
Old 07-10-2002, 03:41 PM
Rc Aro Planes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have no idea if the plane was ever flown with that engine, but it will take to the air on 7/12/02 at 4:30 am. I hope to bring her back down in one piece. I E-mailed Futaba about the Acrostar and they said that the plane came from the following;

YS Engine Support
Performance Specialties
1851 Pinto Circle
Gardnerville, Nevada 89410
Tel: 775-265-7523 Fax: 775-265-7522

I am going to call them and see if they have any info on the plane. I'll let you all know how she flies Monday. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:11 PM
D_Dawg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: what kind of plane is it?

It is a copy of Eric Muller's German/Swiss made Hirth 27 Acrostar Mk II, HB-MSB. The original Acrostar, HB-MSA, was flown at the 1970 world aerobatic championships by Arnold Wagner, who placed 4th.
This plane is not a spin-off of the Cap or Extras ... only nine planes were ever made ... [link=http://www.luftfahrtmuseum.com/htmi/ite/acros.htm]"ACROSTAR"[/link] ... and is still reguarded as one of the best pure aerobatic planes ever built! [link=http://www.wac98.sk/pitts.htm#Acrostar]"Acrostar history"[/link] ... It is a Futaba ARF, but is no longer in production by futaba (1990) but can be found in a re-make a company in singapore as a 120 size [link=http://www.singahobby.com/fut04.html]ACROSTAR 120[/link] ... Mine is (was ... split essed into the ground and needs a nose job) a great flyer ... definately the best plane I ever flown with a OS 91 surpass 4-stroke for power ...

If you dont want yours .... I'll buy it from you!

Attached is a picture of my 3 Aerobats (ok, 2 and 3/4's now ... as my acrostar is broke from the wing saddle forward from a common manure known as "hey watch this landing approch! ... inverted pull up into half cuban 8 ... kill power ... Half roll to level lined up over run way ... and found out I was a foot to low when attemping to clear the mound at the beginning of the runway ... opps!)

I still do this manuver with my chipmunk ... just at a little higher entry point ... and only throtle back intead of dead sticking it in ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42319.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	72687  
Old 02-18-2005, 04:14 PM
artbeat14

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi
you wrote something about the Acrostar. Thank you for the informations, I could use them also for my resource. My wife is the daughter of Eric Mueller (Switzerland). I'm Pilot an Modelpilot too and I will build an Acrostar in the next month. Are you interested in one of the rare books of Eric Mueller about acrobatics. I have a few left.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:13 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes Futaba brought this out as an ARF in the early 90's and I put one together for a friend but he never did fly the thing and don't know what happened to it. It was well done for the time as far as ARF's go, just wish I could have flown it.[&o][&o]
Old 04-21-2008, 12:11 PM
whatwheel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have 2 of these planes I got at an estate sale, the wings are ok but both fusealges were broken in the same place right behind the wing saddle. I dont know if was just a weak spot or very hard landing, on the horz. stablizer it says Futaba Acrostar 60, that is not the size engine to use surely, any one got any info?

Thanks,Glenn.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:16 PM
skotby
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Futaba Acrostar 120 anybody has a landing gear for sale for this plane?