Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

I`d like to get some thoughts!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I`d like to get some thoughts!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 07:34 AM
bipeman_red

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I`d like to get some thoughts!

I`m hoping that this is the place to ask a non R.C. question??

After reading some of the others, it may be.......Well here goes.

I`m just about as new to my computer as I am to R.C. Universe.

And that brings me to this; There is the operating system "Windows 98" and then there is "Windows 98 SE".

All I know for sure is that the S.E. stands for Second Edition.

In the opinion of all you guys AND girls, Does the second edition hold anything desireable or advantageous for someone currently using "98" first edition??

I`m not sure where to go to get the update/change to download,

but do you`all think the idea of switching to S.E. has any merrit??

Mostly,I use the computer here on the Universe as well as running through my E-mails and a few games and puzzles.

The wife,on the other hand, does a lot of card making (greating cards) as well as her E-mails, Well, I almost forgot my surf trips to E-bay,every now and then.

I`m guessing that at least a couple of you will have some words of wisdom. Are all the differences cosmetic? or would I find real differences in operating the two systems??

All the Help,Helps......Thanks in advance.............bipeman_red
Old 12-24-2002, 07:54 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

TwoWings:

If you want trouble stay with the 1st version of 98. Win 98SE was the version with many bugs removed - it's much more stable.

You could go with Win ME if you can't find the upgrade. Try Billy's upgrade site:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

and see what it tells you, there's an automatic checker in it.

Fie on 98 and ME, my twin says it's 2K for me.

Bill.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:41 PM
trailingedge
My Feedback: (1)

For all practical purposes, Windows98 SE is actually 98 first edition with some patches added. You can add the same patches to your computer from the microsoft update site. Just click on start then click windows update. If it's not there then go to www.microsoft.com and then click windows update. I would run and hide from Windows ME. It was the shortest lived operating system that Microsoft produced. It's windows 98 at it's core, but there are bugs on top of bugs. I have 8 or 9 computers here still running 98 first edition and some updates, and they all run fine (I won't get into my problems with Windows in general). Just make sure you have a virus scanner that updates itself and don't put it on a DSL or cable connection without some firewall software and you'll be fine.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:54 PM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Windos 98SE is an intermediate upgrade of Win98. Mainly it fixes a lot of features that Billy left in. But, Microsoft no longer directly supports Win98. If you dig hard on the Microsoft site you can get the patches to make it run and secure it better. But, you should invest in an upgrade to ME, 2000, or XP. Hopefully, you computer will be handle the upgrade.

I work in the field and all of my costomers are either 2000 or XP. We dropped ME because of its unstability. Good luck on what every you try.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:36 PM
Mike2002

Bipeman: If you are getting a brand new computer, then I would probably stay away from any 9x operating system that Microsoft came out with years ago. The 98 OS is pretty old and I believe they have come out with some better OS's like XP Home edition and XP Home edition. If my memory serves me right, I also heard that newer Microsoft programs will not be able to work with 98 and they are pretty much putting that OS behind them. If I were you, I would look at a more up to date operating system.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:44 PM
Nuker

Hi

Actually Win 98SE is still supported by Microsoft. The switch from 98 to SE, other than the bazillion bug fixes, is it allows Internet Connection Sharing (the ability, without hardware other than an extra ethernet card to share an internet connection between two computers). If you don't have 2 computers or more at home, this won't be of additional value; just some info for you.

98SE has been very stable for me and I have it on most of my home systems. ME, as stated, ended up as a niche OS. My issue with 2000 and XP is the lack of compatibility of older peripherals.

As of now I personally have no need to change and from what I've read, I have another year of Microsoft updates to look forward too. There is still a large user base with no need to upgrade from 98 SE.

The choice really, is yours.

Bob
Old 12-24-2002, 05:07 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bipeman_red,

Your post does not fall within the guidelines of allowed topics for RCU.

If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I hope the question has been answered. I am going to close the post, but leave it up temporarily so you have a chance to benefit from the advice given.

Sorry to be the Scrooge,

Eric