Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Aircraft tail trap

Old 06-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Navy Flier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aircraft tail trap

Where can I find the field device that is stuck into the ground and serves as a hold back for your aircraft at the field? Found one online but at $55 was a little steep. Also some I have seen seem to be too short for trike gear aircraft.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:31 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Aircraft tail trap

Not trying to be a smart allec, but I use a piece of rope and a 50¢ tent stake to hold my planes. It works on everything from my 20 size planes all the way up to 46% Ultimate.

Ken
Old 06-09-2006, 09:09 PM
coolbean

I took the neck strap from my TX that I don't use and hooked it to one of thoose dog chain spikes.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Ken Erickson

Like RCKen, I have been using a rope and a 12-in. spike (nail). Unfortunately our 50-Cent spike now costs about $1.00. Still inexpensive.

Ken, AMA 19352
Old 06-10-2006, 05:52 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a rope and a lONG heavy duty screwdriver (a spike with a handle :^)
Old 07-30-2006, 03:13 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For several years now I've been using two 3/8 inch diameter aluminum rods (cut from a longer rod purchased at hardware store). One end of both rods is ground down to a "soft" point, making entry into hard ground easier.

The opposite end of both rods (the tops) are bent to 90 degree angles. These pieces are about 3" long and go over the Horizontal Stab preventing the tail from rising up and maybe going forward, plus they provide good "pull-out" handles to get them out of the ground when the day is over. I usually carry a hammer to drive them into hard ground. If the ground is soft just lean on 'em and they go right on down.

All my planes are tail draggers. The rod's heights for trikes will be longer, depending on how high the stab LE is off the ground. Measure the trike tail height at rest and cut accordingly.

These aluminum stakes are strong, durable and have held everything I've flown including 8 and 9 footers. Once your engine is running and you're ready to taxi, just grab the vertical fin, lift the tail up and over and go.

Using these rods elininates someone holding my plane's tails during start-up. Please paint them orange for visibility purposes. Don't want anyone tripping over them while you'e flying! May help you from leaving them sticking in the ground when you're loading up to head home. Good flying!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

I tried one of those when a club I used to fly at forced everyone to use them. I felt it was a pain to deal with. Just hold the nose and be careful.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:06 PM
KW_Counter

Ignore Tommygun - he won't be with us long!

SECURE THAT AIRPLANE BEFORE STARTING IT!!!

It is to easy for something to happen and not be able to react to it while holding a plane.
A friend inadvertently bumped his throttle and when the engine started it was at high RPM.
He had trouble holding on to the plane with one hand so he could reset the throttle.

There are many good and inexpensive devices available.
The suggestions above are good.
I saw an article in a magazine that suggested a holder used to hang up a bicycle. Nail it to the ground.
I've seen them at Lowes and they should work fine.
Others have used a bean bag full of lead shot with a rope to tie around the tail.
Tie the rope under the horiz stab and over the fuse in a bow so it comes untied with one pull.
I don't know how much they weigh, you'll have to experiment some.

I just built a couple of starting stands for our field. The plans are available here at RCU.
I don't remember where, but try a search.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 08-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

I have one of these from Midwest:http://www.midwestproducts.com/item_...asp?item_id=56.
I use it for my 33% airplanes, no problem. I also have a friend that builds an aluminum version that lets the vertical posts drop after you move the tail backwards away from the tail trap. Don's Hobby also sells a trap for around $100.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:01 PM
da Rock

I drilled 3 holes in a scrap of 2x4. Put a section of dowel rod into the two outside holes with 30 minute epoxy. Put a spike through the other hole pointing the other way. Put some pipe insulation over the two dowel rod pieces.

The section of 2x4 cost nothing.
The dowel rod was 3/4" and cost a couple of dollars.
The spike was 72 cents.
The pipe insulation is 90-some cents for one LONG piece.
The epoxy I glued the spike and dowels into the 2x4 was from my airplane supplies.

The picture shows it in use this morning holding the Tiger2.
BTW, today was it's "maiden hold back". I built it last night in about 10 minutes. It cost about $4.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78461.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	501704  
Old 08-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Flying Hog

I've been working on a Start up Tail Trap... Tell me what you think. About 12 dollars in material 3/8 threaded rod 11 inches. 3 pieces of 3/4 Square aluminum 12 inches long, 1/4-20 bolts flats, locks and, Nuts, 7/8 pipe insulation. Can be taken apart and put in a flight box.

Name:	Us54264.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	501758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91591.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	501759  
Old 08-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Flying Hog

Here it is in use. Drive into the ground with your foot, Fold legs up, put plane in, start plane, fold legs down, taxi off.

Name:	Hf98033.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	501760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24542.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	501761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42811.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	501762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84290.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	501763  
Old 08-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Here is what I came up with..Just some PVC pipe and a large bolt..I put some foam pipe insulaion for the uprights..I use 2 long screwdrivers on each side of the rectangle to hold it down..Just lift up the uprights and the stab holds them up..pull the plane back about 2 feet and the uprights just fall down to the ground..

Name:	He97220.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	501765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50418.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	501766  
Old 08-04-2006, 08:32 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

I must be a cheapskate.... I have my flying buddy hold my plane.[8D] Works for the small and the big stuff. The flying buddy is also my safety-pilot. I am his helper, of course.

Safe Flying!
Old 08-04-2006, 09:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: blikseme300

I must be a cheapskate....
Same here. I use a 50¢ tent stake and 25¢ worth of nylon rope. It's held back everything up to a 40% size plane.

Ken
Old 08-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Just drive a couple of big steel stakes used for concrete forms into the ground. Put some padding on them and stick the nose between them. But wide enough to pull the plane out without hitting the prop while its running
Old 08-05-2006, 06:26 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: blikseme300

I must be a cheapskate....
Same here. I use a 50¢ tent stake and 25¢ worth of nylon rope. It's held back everything up to a 40% size plane.

Ken
Same here but instead of a 50¢ stake I use a $2 stake with a handle A large screwdriver that is
Old 08-05-2006, 06:13 PM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

I tried one of those when a club I used to fly at forced everyone to use them. I felt it was a pain to deal with. Just hold the nose and be careful......

One word: OUCH!
Old 08-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Just find some poor shlob who's hanging around out their. Ask him if he wants to learn to fly. "yes sir" "Good, hold this plane!"
Old 08-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Tripower455

In 26 years of hand propping RC models (I hate using electric starters), I had never considered using any type of tail restraint (unless I was breaking in an enigne and needed to run it for a while) until a guy at the field gave me a rash of stuff for not using one. It was a bit of a PIA at first, but is not too bad and it is nice to run up the engine without getting slime on my shoes (I always used to stand in front of the horizontal stab and hold the plane with my ankles).

It isn't a rule at our field, but I do use one now. I use a huge screwdriver and some 1/4" nylon rope in a loop. I have a small loop on one end that is fastened to the shaft of the screwdriver then pushed in the ground. I then loop the rope around the tail, slipping the loop over the top over the screwdriver. Once the engine is running, I lift the loop off the driver, pull the rope from around the tail and the plane is loose. The biggest pain is remembering to take the thing home!
Old 08-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Tommygun

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

I don't know, I've been doing it that way for nearly 20 years, so I guess your definition of "long" is different than mine. If you are unable to hold on to a model airplane, I'd be concerned something else would get you, like a gust of wind. I guess for extended running such as for engine break in they aren't bad. I adjust the needle with the nose pointing up so it won't lean out in a climb. A tail holder will be of little use in this situation.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Tripower455

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

I don't know, I've been doing it that way for nearly 20 years, so I guess your definition of "long" is different than mine. If you are unable to hold on to a model airplane, I'd be concerned something else would get you, like a gust of wind. I guess for extended running such as for engine break in they aren't bad. I adjust the needle with the nose pointing up so it won't lean out in a climb. A tail holder will be of little use in this situation.

I find it ironic that a lot of the guys that are the most anal and nasty about "safety" stuff on the ground, are absolutely dangerous when it comes to flying these things. Almost without exception, the guys that are the nastiest and most insistant are the worst flyers. I make a beeline for the shelter when a couple of the "safety" officers fly at my club field, and it's been like that in every club I've belonged to in my 26 year R/C career. Some guys need to exercise control over others.....

I am no Don Lowe, but I usually go home with the same number of unbroken airplanes (and fingers ) that I came to the field with.

I am never to old to take good advice though, and usually use a tail restraint nowadays, especially on the 4 strokes that need a minute or 2 to warm up.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 AM
vivekbali

These are all tail traps which don't help when you are using an electric starter to start the engine. Would love to see some contraception to hold the plane from going back when pressure of the starter is applied on the spinner.....
Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 AM
slopoke
My Feedback: (16)

$55 bucks vs a trip to the emergency room, blood, stitches, pain, unhappy wife.
You decide.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: slopoke

$55 bucks vs a trip to the emergency room, blood, stitches, pain, unhappy wife.
You decide.
[8D] Well Said !

In fact , SO well said that I gave ya your first 5 RCU good doobie poster points for putting it so simply .

And to Tommygun , Look , buddy , it ain't about who is a "He Man" and can hold them self up in a stiff breeze , NOoooo , it's about the glow fuel slimy hand that one time in a million slips/looses grip and you end up with a ball sack full of spinning prop .

Most of us He Men are more protective of that than just about any other body part I know of .

PS , both safety AND laziness got the better of me , and I bought one of the pre made units from my LHS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.