Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Inside R/C and toys

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 11:06 PM
bzpond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside R/C and toys

How many times did the hosts refer to everything as toys? Show ok other than that. Kinda interesting to see the boats, even though that doesn't interest me.
David
Old 12-31-2002, 12:26 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I'll give it a C+

Tuned into InsideRC....

Saw a lot of different "products" either directly advertised or advertised through use in the show...

Not a bad format if you're totally unfamiliar with R/C products of any sort and want to be WOWED by the variety available...

But if you're looking for something a little more specific/in-depth this first show sure didn't do anything for you...

I'll keep watching and hope that things get better as they progress.....
Old 12-31-2002, 01:05 AM
DSJBEAN
My Feedback: (1)

Yep I wasn't real impressed with the fact that just about everything was called a toy. Maybe the surfing lisa is a toy but I know RC planes are far from being considered a toy in my eyes. Glow or electric the can put a serious hurt on you if you treat as you would treat a toy.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:09 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

The toy comments were very irritating, and in general the show was a joke. Hopefully future shows will actually have some content other than, "here's a boat" and " here is surfer lisa." There were some good action shots but no content.

Also, if the goal is to increase modeling exposure, they may consider a different host. That guy just wasn't interesting. At least when Chris Chianelli is on DIY we can laugh at his hair...
Old 12-31-2002, 05:35 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don`t think the show is there to impress the older modeler. I think they will improve it as time moves on. Any exposure we can get with the public is bound to be a plus. The more the merrier! I thought it was much better that the Weather Channel!!HAPPY NEW YEAR . big max 1935
Old 12-31-2002, 01:47 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default I'd watch it again.

The show was meant to show RC to people for the first time. I think it did a good job of being on that level. Sometimes all of our technical lingo can make some people feel like they could never be in the hobby. The show is not for experienced modelers.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:28 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I think they need a better pilot to fly the planes, I was getting sea sick watching them bounce around the sky. Did you see the hobby shop they showed,its the best local shop around and thats where I spend all my money. His prices are always cheaper than Tower.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:59 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

What hobby shop is it and where is it ?
I think I wanna go there :-)
Old 12-31-2002, 03:15 PM
Brian Cole

I thought Jim Broberg did a great job in all the segments -- especially since he's not an experienced TV pro. His enthusiasm was more important for this beginner, (me), than sophisticated TV chops.

I'm sure this show will evolve, vis-a-vis feedback from veiwers.

One thing about the format: I think it was designed to engage the Ninetendo heads. Lot's of different options with RC. In future episodes, I would like to see Jim do features with various pro level operators. And maybe a weekly serial segement with airplane dogfights, leading up to a finale.

bc
Old 12-31-2002, 03:19 PM
rc-sport

fairchase, from what I understand all the episodes have been filmed already so any changes to future episodes depends on if the show survives these initial months.
JLLayton, the hobby shop is Venture Hobbies in Wheeling,Il. The owner is Don Phillips one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:52 PM
glowplug

I also didn't like the references to toys.....I'm surprised that a show that is sponsored by so many top companies in the hobby, and produced by Du-Bro would repeatedly call R/C vehicles toys.

rc_sport, I thought that hobby shop looked familiar!! I went there when I was visiting my brother-in-law in Green Oaks, Il. It's a great shop.

Mike
Old 12-31-2002, 04:09 PM
Brian Cole

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the "toys" terminology was slipped into the script by one of the Out Door Channel's directors/producers.

Those things aren't toys -- especially that open prop boat -- scary!

My 19 year old son is intrigued by the combat airplanes. Admittedly so am I :-)

I look forward to the next 12 weeks.

By the way, I am the web developer for the www.insiderc.com website, and any "well meant" feedback on the website would be appreciated.

fairchase

(Brian Cole)

[email protected]
Old 01-02-2003, 03:00 PM
ryansdad40

Default pilot

yes i agree,, about the flying!!,, not good,, i would of thought for the show that there would have been a good smooth flight,, i mean no disrespect,, but to fly a cub that bad on tv!!
also the clips of all were all too short,, there was never any depth ,, just short shots of all,, and hope that they will get away of the advertising format,, was kinda like watching a infomertial!,, ill keep watching.and see,
Old 01-02-2003, 03:28 PM
rc-sport

Glowplug, my flying field is just down the road from Green Oaks, what your brother-in-law's name, I may know him.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:38 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the format of the show could use the most work. What is the point of the 2 hosts sitting in a hobby shop? I like the format of the kitplane shows on the discovery wings channel. The same person is in the shop showing assembly and in the field demonstrating use. I think it gives a more appealing look, but then again what do I know about TV production.

Ben
Old 01-02-2003, 04:16 PM
glowplug

rc_sport, his name is Chuck Bailey. You probably don't know him, he doesn't fly....but he has potential.....he came out to the field with me last time he was here and watched us fly and was very interested. He almost got a park flyer setup at Venture when we were there. I'd love to check out your field next time I'm visiting out there!

Mike
Old 01-02-2003, 05:39 PM
rc-sport

Glowplug. tell him to visit our field, Aerosport. We're on Everett Road just east of St. Mary's Rd. We'd love to show him around and get him on a buddy box if he's interested.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:58 AM
glowplug

rc_sport....I recognize St. Mary's Rd....I remember seeing it when I was out there. I'll let him know, thanks!