Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

A stupid stunt that I pulled..but kinda funny

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

A stupid stunt that I pulled..but kinda funny

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:52 PM
flyingvranch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A stupid stunt that I pulled..but kinda funny

Some of you may recall my little in-flight fire incident that I had last month with my Harmon Rocket. After that I decided to pull out the screaming, fire-breathing, two stroke and put in a little more sedate four stroke. Well today I maidened the plane again with this new engine. I took up a lot of runway, and finally got airborne. The plane was a nose heavy dog that I couldn't get to altitude. I had the CG spot on so I figured maybe too much down thrust, but it just dropped like a brick when I cut the throttle. I flew around for about five minutes trying to lighten the fuel load, and then set up for apprach and landed. I looked the plane over and couldn't see anything wrong so I picked it up to finger check the CG again when I spotted the problem. I have the engine mounted inverted and I left the glow igniter attached while flying! Just when you think you've done it all over the years, you can always find a new way to humble yourself.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:23 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: A stupid stunt that I pulled..but kinda funny

Left the glow starter on eh? Well I've done that ON PURPOSE...just to see what would happen - now that's even dumber

Jerry

PS It was a McDaniel and it stayed on!!! I was just out to prove it would...and it did.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing it was a portable Glow driver. If it had been the kind attached to the power panel and flight box. You'd really have problems!
Old 08-13-2006, 08:18 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Good thing it was a portable Glow driver. If it had been the kind attached to the power panel and flight box. You'd really have problems!
The mental image. WaHahahahahahahah...........ROFLMAO

Safe Flying!

BTW - I needed that, thanks.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did that once on an inverted mount Saito 1.50 in a 25% Ultimate. I had enough power to get away with it but came right back because I wanted to keep the glow driver. I still wonder how that darn thing stayed on in flight.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:04 AM
Dr1Driver

That's the opposite of what I saw an EXPERIENCED pilot do a couple of years ago. He was trying to start his .60 inverted glow engine. Trying and trying and trying. Not even a pop. I watched, amused, as he fiddled with the needles, checked the fuel lines and the level in the tank, changed plugs, and did various "sure to start" procedures. After about 10 minutes of tinkering, as his starter battery was running down, I suggested that he might have better luck if he'd attach the glow driver. <snicker>

Dr.1
Old 08-14-2006, 08:12 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I have to admit it...

I did the EXACT same thing yesterday with my little scratch built Jim LeRoy Bulldog.

Thankfully, the grass field I was visiting caught the wheel pants, and wouldn't let her fly. I didn't realize what I'd done until I got back to the pit area.

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 08-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Since were on a roll here, About 5 years back a very experience pilot came out in the spring after taking the winter off. Went to put a flight on his trusty F 20 with a YS 45.

We could nt get that darn thing to crank to save our lives. All us so called "experts" are all over this thing and he is just dumbfounded.
We then cought on that quite a bit of fuel was going in and to a point of hydro lock. So he tips the plane up to drain the excess fuel out the exhaust. Nothing came out. What the ____ is up with this?

Well he then remembers he uses earplugs in the exhaust after he flys to keep it from leaking everywhere. Over the course of the winter and stuff, the earplug got shoved up inside a bit and we couldn't see it. Then we spent a half hour getting that damn thing out and it cranked right up. Crazy world we live in eh?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:02 PM
KidEpoxy

Flew an AP15 on a saturday, cleaned her up & went home.
Sunday we tried firing her up, but was sputtering super rich... Half... One... One & Qaurter turns in on the needle and it finally starts to get some revs. It spins up and SPLATOOIE!! Die.

Left the rolled up paper towel bit in the downpipe exhaust, till it was projectile ejected.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Cyclic Hardover

LOL on that one
Old 08-15-2006, 09:25 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Well, I hate to admit it, but I, too, have done this.. not once, but twice.. in the same day AND, the engine is an upright mount. I was so darned focused on flying that I just plain completely forgot the stupid thing and up it went. I still.. to this day, don't have any idea how it stayed on because when I landed, it popped off just as soon as the wheels hit the ground.

DS.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:51 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

I did this twice this weekend! The first time someone caught me on the way out the the runway, the second time I put in an entire flight and noticed it on the taxi in! It was one of those little du-bro ones, it hung on through some pretty wild aerobatics.
Ben