Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Flying with Flaps / Flaperons

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Flying with Flaps / Flaperons

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 09:18 PM
niceorange

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying with Flaps / Flaperons

Hi everyone,

I was wondering the various methods you use to fly with flaps / spoilers. When I built my cub I went to great lengths to put all these features into it (new T6XA radio, dual servo conversion, etc), but am really not that sure how to use them effectively. I know the idea of flaps is to create more lift and drag for slower flight, and that spoilers allow the plane to drop quickly while maintaining speed, but I dont know whether I should use them to take off, land, aerobatics, etc? It looks like the maiden flight of this plane is gonna be on snow with the floats I am finishing up. Will flaps help it lift off easier? The plane is 61", has a 46FX, and weighs about 6 lbs with the floats.

Also, how much flap / spoiler is needed? Is too much a bad thing? Again, any advice is much appreciated, as you have already provided me with a bunch of answers!

Thanks,
Old 01-08-2003, 01:04 AM
smokingcrater

just my suggestion but since it is its maiden flight avoid spoilers entirely and MAYBE just a little bit of flaps on takeoff. get used to the plane first... Flaps can cause a plane to stall easier also, wouldn't want to take off, stall, and cartwheel it on the first flight!
Old 01-08-2003, 01:06 AM
roywiglesworth

i have a 10ft.wing span cessna150 and i fly this just like the full scale i learned to fly ( model was done exactly like it) i have the flaps set at 10 degrees on take off more than that will not give you any more lift it will just make more drag.on landing i use 10 degrees on down wind when i turn base put on 20 degrees and when i turn final 30 -40 with proper throttle management i can set this plane down at 10 -12 mph hope this gives you some idea where to start. the only thing you might want to try is using a little less all around on your cub my 150 has a fully symmetrical wing and the cub has a flat bottom which has a lot of lift to begin with.also remember never unless you have plenty of altitude never snap the flaps off all at once especially if your slow you will probably drop out the sky remove them a little at a time. good luck
roy
Old 01-08-2003, 01:52 AM
roywiglesworth

i have a 10ft.wing span cessna150 and i fly this just like the full scale i learned to fly ( model was done exactly like it) i have the flaps set at 10 degrees on take off more than that will not give you any more lift it will just make more drag.on landing i use 10 degrees on down wind when i turn base put on 20 degrees and when i turn final 30 -40 with proper throttle management i can set this plane down at 10 -12 mph hope this gives you some idea where to start. the only thing you might want to try is using a little less all around on your cub my 150 has a fully symmetrical wing and the cub has a flat bottom which has a lot of lift to begin with.also remember never unless you have plenty of altitude never snap the flaps off all at once especially if your slow you will probably drop out the sky remove them a little at a time. good luck
roy
Old 01-08-2003, 03:04 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have actual flaps or are you using flaperons? Does your Cub have barn door style ailerons? If so, then you will not want to use flaperons until you can experiment with them at altitude. The reason for this is because with outboard flaps you will be increasing the chances of a tip stall. If you have strip ailerons, get up to altitude before trying them. Use 30% or so for flap travel. With an increase of flaps, their aileron function will become less effective and handling will become sloppy.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:30 AM
niceorange

I am not 100% sure of the definition of a barn door aileron, but I believe not. The ailerons run almost the entire length of the wing, although the wing is shaped around them at the tip and saddle. I will most likely take it easy on the flaps, especially at first, but I appreciate the advice about percentages, etc. How much do you guys use flaperons in flight, if at all? Thanks!
Old 01-08-2003, 04:35 AM
niceorange

Originally posted by roywiglesworth
roy
I just re-read this post and noticed some very interesting things. First off, on my Cub, a very unusual arf I must add (made by a company called Sanye), the wing is semetrical (or at least semi). I was also curious about the reason you say dropping the flaps quickly will cause a drop out of the sky. This is all very interesting information... MORE MORE MORE!!! Thanks

This is a picture of the kit before assembly. I dont have any newer photos, although i will soon!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/attachment...&postid=491193
Old 01-08-2003, 04:38 AM
Flyfalcons

Okay, you have strip ailerons. They should be fine to use as flaperons. On my 6XAS, I set the center of the servo with the flap knob turned all the way 'up'. This way I don't run the risk of retracting the flaps to the point that they become spoilerons. I have had success doing this, and have not noticed a limitation of servo travel because of it. When you use the flaps, do so at high altitude and a slow cruise setting. Drop them slowly and notice how the plane reacts. When you land, set up a 6-2 mix to eliminate any pitching tendancies when using flaps. Then when you are up again, get used to how the plane handles and stalls with the flaps extended. Keep adjusting the flap travel as well as the 6-2 mix to get the flying qualities that you desire.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:44 AM
niceorange

You guys are great. I have programed in a 6->2 mix already, as well as some aileron differential and rudder coupling. Obviously I have gone easy on these functions until I know how the plane handles better. The other function which looks intriguing is the Elevator-Flap mix, which would seem pretty cool, although what was mentioned about going on and off the flaps quickly leads me to believe this may be a bad thing. I cant wait to fly it, but I am obviously the type of person who loves gizmos almost as much as using them!
Old 01-08-2003, 04:54 AM
Flyfalcons

You can give 2-6 a try, and remember it is on a switch so you should leave it off until you get to altitude. The Cub really isn't the best plane for trying 2-6, but you should notice that the plane will be more responsive in pitch when using it. Also, you may want to deactivate 1-4 until you fly the plane and see how it handles. You may find that the aileron differential will be good enough for making coordinated turns. This radio has a lot of good mixes for you to try, but be sure to ease into them after you test fly your plane.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:32 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You will find that flaps on a Cub will rarely if ever be used in flight, or even on take off. Essentially, they are not needed. But drop them down on a landing and watch that baby slow to a crawl! It's sweet!

But be careful, as Flyfalcons said, flapperons can increase the planes tendency to tip stall. Not a fun thing when you're 10 ft off the ground.